X

is it hard to change fork seals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it hard to change fork seals

my brothers forks are leaking its a 99 600 katana... he just asked me to put it on here to see how hard it is to do

never mind i found it on the search sorry yall
    Last edited by tankman1331; 01-10-2008, 08:07 PM.
    02 Suzuki Katana 750
    05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

If i wanted to hear an a$$hole i would just fart!!!!

sigpic

not really, hardest part is supporting the bike. You can build a cheap stand to support your bike out of pipe from home depot or lowes for under 50 bucks(i bought at home depot and returned it a week later, i worked there so anyways). While you do it change the fluid in the forks as well.

I personally would recommend for $100 more get some racetech springs for the front that are made for the riders weight and the kats weight. I found going to advanced auto or any part store and picking up some some exhaust reducers that fit the inside and outside of the fork tube seals. Use them to drive the seals down. A tip is to use your old ones on top of your new ones so you don't mar them.

check out motorcylist magazine's website they have alot of great how too's and also i think black peter did the fork seal how to here.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

thanks i found the site for changing fork seals thanks for your help
      02 Suzuki Katana 750
      05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

sigpic

Comment

Should take pictures and post a walkthrough.

Comment

i would if we even do it.. my brother isnt motivated to doing his own stuff.. he likes to wait til it fixes it self but i will try to help him and take some pics
          02 Suzuki Katana 750
          05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tankman1331 View Post
            i would if we even do it.. my brother isnt motivated to doing his own stuff.. he likes to wait til it fixes it self but i will try to help him and take some pics
            well if that is the case then he will also possibly be fixing him self in a hospital bed. though that is little drastic, but riding on bogus forks is not good. I waited to long once but it ruined my brake pads and my paint on my forks, so fix it soon and fix it right.

good luck!

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I did mine last year, and it took about 1.5 hours. It was my first time changing seals. To seat the new ones check out a local plumbing store for an abs fitting that will slide over the fork tube and press on the seal, and use a rubber mallet. Also the brass bolt in the bottom I found was best removed by the use of my cordless impact gun to break the threadseal on it.
              "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Best site (IMO) is here:
                Leaking fork seals are more than a messy eyesore. Let them go long enough and the oil can ruin brake pads and, when the fluid's gone, the fork's internals will begin a nice 60-grit dance. You don't want any of that.

With these tips here:
                Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Comment

Okay, I'm the lazy brother with the bad fork seal. What my pushy brother-man failed to say was WHY one of the seals started leaking in the first place... While borrowing my Kat for the day...he was attacked by a menacing speed bump and crashed my beloved bike ( first time introduction to the street for that bike too) afterwards, the oil started leaking from the fork like slow tears.
                  I need to know which test procedures i should conduct first to check for damaged forks before replacing the seals, right? Or maybe bro is right and I should just get it over with and hope for the best. Accident wasn't really bad for the bike. Blew me away how well she held up, bro had busted collarbone and thumb...but still is itching to borrow it again soon.
                  Any advise for me? Cod really use some.

Comment

Four years and eleven months to the day, and you still haven't got around to it?!
                    Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Originally posted by Whereisjeff View Post
                      Okay, I'm the lazy brother with the bad fork seal. What my pushy brother-man failed to say was WHY one of the seals started leaking in the first place... While borrowing my Kat for the day...he was attacked by a menacing speed bump and crashed my beloved bike ( first time introduction to the street for that bike too) afterwards, the oil started leaking from the fork like slow tears.
                      I need to know which test procedures i should conduct first to check for damaged forks before replacing the seals, right? Or maybe bro is right and I should just get it over with and hope for the best. Accident wasn't really bad for the bike. Blew me away how well she held up, bro had busted collarbone and thumb...but still is itching to borrow it again soon.
                      Any advise for me? Cod really use some.
                      my advice is to not loan out your bike!
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
                        Four years and eleven months to the day, and you still haven't got around to it?!
                        holy shit! Whereisjeff, I guess your brother was right...it hasnt fixed itself by now?
                        94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                        X