X

02 front end drop

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 front end drop

After looking through a lot of the different threads about lowering the front end... i decided to give it a go. I went with sliding the triple tree down the forks 2". My question is this, when i look at the lower clampand bounce on the front end i can see is tap the bottem of the forks. does this mean that i dropped it too far, for that i need more oil in the forks, or the springs are shot. (hopefully i just need to raise it a bit or put oil in it) i also am prolly bouncing on it harder than any street would.

all help is appreicated.

Yes I would try raising it up about an Inch to rid your problem. Try that first befor going and adding oil or trying to service them. I did the same thing and wouldn't you know it I dropped it a bit to far. GRRR
    It does not matter what you ride as long as it has two wheels and at least one on the ground!

Comment

Originally posted by rbrick220 View Post
      After looking through a lot of the different threads about lowering the front end... i decided to give it a go. I went with sliding the triple tree down the forks 2". My question is this, when i look at the lower clampand bounce on the front end i can see is tap the bottem of the forks. does this mean that i dropped it too far, for that i need more oil in the forks, or the springs are shot. (hopefully i just need to raise it a bit or put oil in it) i also am prolly bouncing on it harder than any street would.

all help is appreicated.
      Total travel in the front is something like 5" and you lowered the front end 2".
      I don't know your weight dude but if I were you I wouldn't do that much, you're facing the chance bottoming out on the front which could hurt...
      Btw why do you want to lower it? You might wanna read this (which should be stickied imho)

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
      swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
      Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

regarding the bouncing? your springs are prolly shot.
      Last edited by kwebbel; 12-12-2007, 04:36 AM.

Comment

You only what a few mm's showing above the triple . Go for 5-10 mm .....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thanks for the help. lets see if you can do it again. based on "You only what a few mm's showing above the triple . Go for 5-10 mm" wouldn't that only be a 5-10 mm drop. if i want a 1" drop, wouldn't that be 1" showing above the triple? as you can imagine, with that logic, at the moment i have 2" abouve the triple. thus the botteming out without much effort

Comment

Like I said full suspensiontravel is about 5" you won't affect THAT travel by lowering the TT but you are affecting the room between the frontfender and the headfairings.
            Once you bottom out on that room you could (will) be hurt...

A 1" drop is achieved by having 1" sticking out above the triple that's right.

If you see the FORKS bottoming out you need new/stronger springs.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
              suspensiontravel is about 5" you won't affect THAT travel by lowering the TT
              When I lowered 2" above the TT, and accounting for 1" for the TT the remaining travel between the lower fork brace and the bottem tube is 2" that is what is botteming out. Not the fairings, how can you say the travel is not affected by lowering the TT?

Comment

my bad
                I meant compression off the springs.

Comment

what handling edge do you gain by dropping the front?
                  91 Katana 600 Red

Comment

Originally posted by rbrick220 View Post

all help is appreicated.

I went down 1 1/2" on the front. any more than that is too much. I bottom out if I hit a bump to hard, but overall riding has been fine. I also lowerd the rear 2". That puts the belly pan about 3" off the ground. The only time the bottom scrapes the ground is if I pull up on curbs at grocery stores, etc. or the tall and short speed bumps in apartment complexes. Most other speed bumps are fine. As far as handling, I think it just depends on your riding style.
                    myspace
                    2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

i'm thinging that i definitly need to raise it at least 1/2" and see how that goes. is there a way to check the fluid in the forks. i got the bike used, and it sat for a bit. the forks are one thing that i never checked.

Comment

Working...
                      X