Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Changed rear pads and now seems less effective?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed rear pads and now seems less effective?

I changed out my rear pads today. I starting hearing a little scraping and.....you guessed it, metal on metal. It didn't hurt the rotor though.

Now, the brake seems to not as responsive. Before if I braked very hard, the rear wheel would lock. Now, while on a test ride they seemed to be working OK, but when was I really getting on the rears I was only able to get it to lock once.

I know you don't really want the rear locking up, but it seems like the brakes are less effective now.

Any thoughts on this?
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

it needs broken in, also wipe off the rotor with windex

Comment

did you bleed it out fully?
      Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

No, I didn't bleed the caliper. Do you need to do that when the system was never opened? I don't really see where changing the pads out would get air in the system. I guess if it doesn't get any better as the pads bed in, I'll be bleeding it....

It's working OK, there's no danger, but it could be better!
        -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
        -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Im not sure about the bleeding, but you need to break the pads in.

If I remember right ( I just changed my rear pads the day before I left for the Rally), it says to break them in with city riding speeds (about 100 miles total).

I could be wrong on the millage, but not on the city speeds (not highway speeds).
          It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

EBC says to ride 100 or 200 miles with minimal braking them bed them in with a pass or two from 60-20 hard braking to get them really hot, then let them cool without stopping for an extended period of time (don't warp rotor). Let them fully cool, then do again.
            98 Integra GSR
            96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

if u do not open the break system ie the master cylinder and bleed valves or take your lines off there should be no need to bleed the lines
              your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

Try cleaning the rotors with brake cleaner and a scotchbrite pad, you have a 2005, so if you haven't changed the brake fluid yet, you are due.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                X