X

adding fork oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding fork oil

I was wondering if there was an easier way of adding fork oil without taking apart the front end? Thanks in advance

Um , sure , just pop the top cap . But to measure it properly you'll wanna take off the wheel , loosen the fork tube and slide it out , and go . Got a seal leaking , do ya ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Does anyone have a "How to" on changing Fork Seals?

Comment

Leaking fork seals are more than a messy eyesore. Let them go long enough and the oil can ruin brake pads and, when the fluid's gone, the fork's internals will begin a nice 60-grit dance. You don't want any of that.

Comment

Remove the forks. Remove the dust covers. Remove the retaining clip. Take 2 to 4 flat based sheetmetal screws and screw them into the seal. Use 2 flat bladed screwdrivers to pry out the seal alternating between the screws....

Comment

Originally posted by jgalar
            Remove the forks. Remove the dust covers. Remove the retaining clip. Take 2 to 4 flat based sheetmetal screws and screw them into the seal. Use 2 flat bladed screwdrivers to pry out the seal alternating between the screws....
            Not a bad idea for getting them out, but how do you suppose to get them in without removing the forks? I've made seal drivers out of PVC, but you still have to be able to slide them on the fork.

Comment

They quoted me $48 for 1 Fork to replace the seal (thats if you already bought them) and you need to pay for the fork oil (1 quart is $11). That is ridiculous just because you don't have a seal driver to get the new one in!

Comment

Seal driver can be made with about $2 worth of PVC in the right diameter ..... Changing the seals will take you a couple hours the first time you try . It's not TERRIBLY hard . Once you get the routine down , you should be able to do each leg in a matter of minutes .

Comment

Here is another method of installing fork seals.

Depending on the year of the Kat and the extent the oil has leaked checking the bushings is a good idea. That requires disassembly. If you have the fork apart the easiest and safest way to remove the seals is the way described in Md's link.

Comment

Working...
                  X