X

Another stupid question on brakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another stupid question on brakes

I've got just over 2k on my 94 600 and had a question. Yes, I did search but didn't find anything. The brake fluid on my front master is showing just above half on the sight window, I thought it might be due for front pads and figured I would do the rears too beings they are really squeally when applied. Question is, is the fluid normal sound right with wearing pads? I have only put on a few hundred miles on the bike since I bought it so I don't know what the braking habits were of the previous owner. I am not even sure on what life to expect out of the original pads either. Any thoughts?

Brake pad wear will vary greatly from rider to rider. For instance I have logged as many as 40,000 miles on a bike and not replaced pads.
    If you have squealing it is probably a contamination problem that has glazed the pad. It will need to be replaced for a long term fix, or sanded for a short term.
    Half full fluid is not necessarily a sign of worn "out" pads but they should be checked.
    Two thousand miles is not in any way a normal life span of OEM brakes on a street ridden bike.

Comment

have u put 2k on them? thats my guess since its a 94. probably need new break pads. how do the rotors look??

btw WYANDOTTE!!!! lol just moved to florida from there
      your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

The bike has 2200 miles total on it now. I popped the cap off of the rear caliper and from what I can see there is roughly 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch of pad left on each side of the rotor. The squealing come in when I first hit the pedal but goes away when I put more pressure on it. I think I will just get new pads, change them out and be done with it. I'd rather be safe than sorry as far as the brakes are concerned. I just with Performace Friction offered them for the 94. The company I work for is direct buyers of Performace Friction. I used to get free pads for my Arctic Cat snowmobiles when I rode sleds. Those pads last forever.

crazyboy68, don't you miss Downriver?

Comment

Another thing, I noticed that there are three options as far as pads go, they are sintered, organic and ceramic. What's the best for normal street riding?

Comment

i am going with kevlar brakes myself. i found a sight that sells them so i am going to give them a try. i can give u the link this weekend. dont have it on my computer and not going there til this weekend.

i dont really miss downriver. im in FLORIDA now. lol plus i am going to college to work on bikes. whats there to miss lol.
            your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

Originally posted by crazyboy68
              ii found a sight that sells them so i am going to give them a try. i can give u the link this weekend.
              Sounds good, thanks buddy.

Comment

If it's a 94, then brake pads, lines and fluid are all probably due for replacement.

Contact HS2020, a member here for quotes on Carbon-Lorraine pads and HEL lines if you're interested.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Hey another Mi. rider whats up man! Good luck with those brakes I have to come down your way on sunday but havent decided if I am taking my bike or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X