X

FORK SEAL REPLACEMENT QUESTION

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORK SEAL REPLACEMENT QUESTION

I decided to change my for seals because they were leaking and first thing I did was research how hard it could be. It looked easy enough so away I went. One for was easy to disasemble the other was hard but I got them apart. Seals in and all reassembled. Now I have the forks in my basement ready to go on the bike. Yea me.

Now I go and read that the fork oil required is 16.1 oz ok not thinking is that per side or for both. Go to the shop and have a new tire m&b'ed and I talked to the guy and he said that 16.1 oz was a lot for one side.

Question is how many oz's go into one side? I would rather have an amount then have to measure distance from whatever. But if measuring is the only way was is the best way of doing it? "with a ruler"

Search is good but answers are better. I have searched and got to many results to look through.
    1996 Katana - Sold
    2000 YZF600R - Killed by little old lady
    2006 Tacoma - Faster then the lawn mower

Fish are safer then senior citizens : )

for your bike according to the factory service manual Chassis section 7-19 it has a capacity (each leg) of 460 ml (15.5 US oz). Hope that helps.

Comment

Yeah 15.5 sounds right. I havent changed my kats seals, But I did my F3's and it was like 14.5 oz's for each leg. If you do measure make sure the slider is pushed ALL the way down into the leg and then you measure. I personally didnt measure, I just put the recommended amount of fluid!

Oh and what weight are you putting in there?
      Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It says 16.9 ounces of 10 weight fork fluid for a 98+. With 108mm measurement. I dont know if a 96 is the same, I dont know why it wouldnt be. But maybe CP will know. If they are then these are your numbers!
        Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

as far as measureing goes there's a special tool for that.

Comment

I have the factory service manual for a pre 98 600, and it says 15.5 oz with 10 weight fork oil and a measurement of 134mm (5.28 in.)

Comment

I am comfortable with 15.5 oz. And I have the 10 weight. Where do you measure? Thanks for the help
              1996 Katana - Sold

Comment

You would be better off measuring the height, since, depending on how thoroughly you dump the old fork oil, there will be more or less of it left when you add the new stuff, maybe giving you the wrong total amount.

Comment

Get yourself a repair manual . It'll explain ALL that crap .... volume , how to measure , whatever . I just filled mine with a bunch of fluid , and used a tape measure to measure from the top of the leg and adjusted fluid to what the book said .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

During a rebuild, I completely clean every last bit..
                    So I know the forks are dry. Then I use a baby bottle.
                    Baby bottles can be bought cheap and have fluid measurements on the side. I heard they were actually very accurate and the one I bout ($1) was.

One problem with using height, IMO, is that air trapped in the works might change the height. The only way to get the air out is pump the forks, that make fine bubbles in theoil that you then have to let settle.. So I feel better going with the volume..

Comment

Yup, since the rebuild my forks are dry. "because they were apart"

as per BP's statement I totally agree.

I do have the Haynes mannual but I wanted a second opinion. I have already rewrote a chapter in the firebird book of theirs because the sequence was wrong. So I take their books as a supplement to what I see as I am fixing something.

I was planning on using a canned good can that was 15.5 oz. after thouroughly washing it out but the baby bottle sounds like a good idea.
                      1996 Katana - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                        One problem with using height, IMO, is that air trapped in the works might change the height. The only way to get the air out is pump the forks, that make fine bubbles in theoil that you then have to let settle.. So I feel better going with the volume..
                        +1 I go by volume too!

Comment

FORKS ON SEALS IN RIDES SO MUCH BETTER. Also blead the brakes. Veggie can method rules...
                          1996 Katana - Sold

Comment

No , SPEEDBLEEDRES rule for bleeding the brakes . Takes all of 5 minutes to totally change the fluid AND bleed BOTH sides .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

ummm. running out of disposable money for the bike. regular bleeders work and dont cost me anything at this time. I will put the speedbleeders on my Triumph when I get it in 2 or 3 years
                              1996 Katana - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X