X

Will a front fork from a 98 GSXR SRAD 600 work on my pre 98

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a front fork from a 98 GSXR SRAD 600 work on my pre 98

How much trouble would it be to swap this forf on to my 92 600 Kat? It has calipers, lower triple tree, bars and almost everything. Will this fit? Would it take much to get it to work or is it pretty much bolt on. I would need to use my stock front wheel. Would stock brakes or would I need GSXR rotors. Thanks any help is apreciated. Pic is down below
    Attached Files
    92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

Get hold of Micladen on the site. He put a GSXR1100 front end in his. He can tell you everything you need to know. I know had to put a GSXR front wheel on since the spacing is different and the axle threads in.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Yeah the gsxr1100 is the 91-94 or 95. The 98 SRAD stuff is different. I dont think it fits.
      Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

I've done the swap, LOTS of work depending on your expertise. Steering stem is different and uses different needle bearings, front wheel axle is a different diameter and you need the front wheel & rotors along with it (about $375). Your front lock won't fit without modification and you will not be able to lock your steering head (lock mounts to the side, not the center like the katana). To my knowledge there is not an oil cooled triple tree that will allow you to swap those forks into it. You will also need to respring the forks FOR SURE as the spring rate is much less than the katanas. In short pick a different front end, there are much better options. 90-92 gsxr is the way to go if you want to use your wheel and looking for a bolt in.

Comment

Plus, even if it was a direct bolt up you would need to change out the springs to heavier ones. The GSXR 600 is a lot lighter than the steel framed Katana.

With the wheel - you MIGHT be able to get away with the Kat rim and rotors, but you would need to change the bearings to fit the fatter axle through. Also, the spacers would surely be the wrong length on each side of the rim.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

The rotors are different, late model non radial rotors are 320mm, old school katanas are 310mm I beleave.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys. I will definately skip this one.
              92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

Comment

Working...
              X