Brake disc fitment/xchange

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake disc fitment/xchange

Hi all,

Is ther a difference between the pre and post '98 front brake discs? I need at least one (but will replace both) new front rotot (right side). I won an auction on ebay for a set off of a 2K6 Kat (so it was listed as such) but after receiving them the first thing I noticed was that they are perfectly flat unlike the discs on my '94 Kat that have the center portions recessed.

Could someone shed some light on if the 2K6 discs were changed substantially (no recess in the mounting area)?

Thanks!

Pre and post 98 disks as well as calipers are different.
    I do not know if you can replace the disk and calipers and have it match up. I do know you can swap the ... hold on.. I know what to do.. Be right back

I just checked out HS2020's bike. He has 98+ rotors on his pre 98. He is using the pre 98 calipers. The center still recesses, at least it should. It just looks different. I think you got the rotor off the wrong bike. Post a pic or better yet the auction listing.

Comment

Link to the Auction...

BP,

Thanks for the promopt reply. I did do some looking around the net and it seems that all of the Kast that are pre 2K6 (I didn't find a clear 2K6 rotor pic yet ) have the same rotors albeit the hubs pattern/design is slightly different in the newer bikes. This shouldn't make any difference, it's just prettier

The Auction Item was 130034068808

In case you can't see it for some reason, the ad read:
      "You are bidding on a 2006 Suzuki Katana GSX 600F Front Rotors. They could be warped but when they lay on the floor they look flat. This bike only had 260 miles on it. Thanks and good luck bidding!!!!!!!!!"

See attached pic of the rotors I received.

Thanks again for your help.
      Attached Files

Comment

If those do not recess then they are the 2006 rotors. The 89-2005 have a recess and are a direct bolt on. The 2006 rotors are made the same as the GSXR's. It looks to me by the picture they are 98-2005 rotors. If you need a There is a pic in my gallery of my 98+ rotors. Look at both of them closely.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I also have 98+ rotors that I'll be puting on this winter. They are recessed in the center. I am pretty sure they went flat in 2003. The same year the centers changed to black. If they are gold (from the factory), they are recessed. If they are black (from the factory) they are the flat ones.

The rotors changed design because the center of the rims got wider. The only way those rotors will work is the change out the front rim from an 03 or newer with the wider center. The pre-98 calipers should still work as the forks are the same distance apart, but the spacers between the forks and the rim are shorter.

Honestly, post them back up on E-bay and look for some with the gold center for the easiest swap out. I bought mine on E-bay for $9.99.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Thanks for the replies and info all. I suspected that they had changed ifor 2K6 (or maybe earlier) but I just wanted to verify here before I decided what to do with them (if they were not Kat then I'd be returning them to sender but since they are it was my fault for not verifying they'd fit ) Oh well, lesson learned

On the positive side, I did get a bunch of other parts to be swapped out over the wintere including a Kat 750 rear shock that is like-new

Thanks again!

Anyone interested in a set of 2K6 Katana rotors in excellent shape and reasonably priced?

Comment

Working...
            X