No announcement yet.
X

usd fork swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you sandblast it? i kinda like that finish if it were a bit shinier...

keep us posted, i (for one) am looking carfully at this swap for the winter to

Comment

just really dirty and in serious need of work. Think it was sitting in the weather awhile. I haven't decided if I'm going to polish it yet, or paint it flat black like everything else.

Anybody know about how the stock springs are in these? I put the progressive springs in the kat fork and was happy with them and am wondering if I should be getting some upgraded ones for these too. I'm 6'-3" and about 220lbs. Have the RF900 rear shock already and would like to setup the front properly as well.
      http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

How much did you pay for all that?
        Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Originally posted by bcsean
          just really dirty and in serious need of work. Think it was sitting in the weather awhile. I haven't decided if I'm going to polish it yet, or paint it flat black like everything else.

Anybody know about how the stock springs are in these? I put the progressive springs in the kat fork and was happy with them and am wondering if I should be getting some upgraded ones for these too. I'm 6'-3" and about 220lbs. Have the RF900 rear shock already and would like to setup the front properly as well.
          91? I guess it would be a good idea to change the springs and forkoil anyway...(if they aren't replaced shortly)

Comment

it was advertised as a 90, but from my research that's not possible as 90 wasn't inverted. guessing 91, but if anyone knows how to identify it I'd appreciate knowing the differences.

When I do the seals, I'll definitely be doing the oil, and am researching springs to see what should go in there for someone my size.

I paid $200 for the setup.
            http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

Thats a pretty good price.......for my forks and lower triple tree (steering stem part) I have about $200 in that (Im also using r1 forks/brakes tho) and I still need the upper, clip ons and brake calipers
              Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Has anyone here tried to put a Busa front end on the Kat. Was thinking along the lines of a bigger back tyre and a 1200 Bandit engine would mean that the stopping power and suspension of the Busa would be a handy thing to have with the tripple pot brakes etc ?
                2001 GSX750F
                1995 ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGodfrey
                  Has anyone here tried to put a Busa front end on the Kat. Was thinking along the lines of a bigger back tyre and a 1200 Bandit engine would mean that the stopping power and suspension of the Busa would be a handy thing to have with the tripple pot brakes etc ?
                  All you need to know is what size bearings the Busa has, and what lenght stem the busa has. compare it with that from your kat....and make your plans!
                  1990 600 kat on going projectNow with zxr 750 frontend

Comment

thinking to put from gsxr1100 '92 model USD..

Comment

I like the idea of the GSXR 92 forks and I may possibly go down that road as they would be cheaper and from what I have read on here .... an easier fit...
                      The line of thought I was following was... if I were to put a bandit 1200 motor into a Kat then I would like having the 3 pot front brakes and USD off the Busa for the stoping power. The bigger back tyre really seems to add no handling benifit from what I see .. But I am guessing the extra traction would be welcomed with the torque gain .. otherwise they wouldnt have a 180 on a bandit. I could be completely wrong as well. I have been doing some research on whether or not the Hayabusa front end will fit .. I went to the local Suzuki shop and asked what the measurements were and they couldnt tell me .. I think I will need to find someone with one for sale and ask them to measure them for me and get them that way .. or see if I can get hold of a manual and see if they have them in there.
                      At least thats my plan for now .. if anyone has the measurements for the Katanas Bearings and stem I would appreciate it.
                      2001 GSX750F
                      1995 ZZR600

Comment

I was looking at doing the USD swap,..
                        The 90-95 GSXR 750 was the model to use.
                        Seems the steering stem was thicker which necessitated using different bearings.
                        As well it's necessary to put a bit of a spacer under the stem nut, in order to get it tight without bottoming out on the threads.

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk130
                          Originally posted by MarkGodfrey
                          All you need to know is what size bearings the Busa has, and what lenght stem the busa has. compare it with that from your kat....and make your plans!
                          Ron Ayer's states that the lower OEM ball bearings for the 98+ Kats (600 & 750) are the same as the Hayabusa. For the upper bearings, you can use the Twin Works Factory modified bearing. It will allow the Busa triple tree to mate to the Katana head stock.

Only thing to consider is the fork length between the Busa, or any other bike, and the Kat. You will change the steering geometry with shorter forks, for better or for worse.
                          Last edited by squiggy; 12-23-2008, 01:50 PM.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

THIS weekend I changed the front on my gsxf750k2 for a RF900 and I can guarantee you that the steering stem bearings are the same.

The Busa bearings are the not the same as these two models. Bearings from the BUSA are the same as SRAD models 30x57x15. So for my project on a pre-98 750F I changed the stem for a GSXR 750 oil cooled from 88.
                            The busa yokes required more mods to fit as the steering stops are "dogsh.t" to make. No metal "meat" to adapt the stops.

Comment

So has anyone swapped anything to a 98+ kats, or are the pre's and post's steering stem the same?
                              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                              18v Rigid Drill
                              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

The steering stem have the same overall dimensions. Same bearings.
                                But the fixing of the top yoke is diferent. The pre 98 has a screw throu the stem as the BUSA, and the post 98 has a nut to fix the top yoke as oil cooled gixxers.

Comment

Working...
                                X