X

noob questions mkII with 500% more pictures

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob questions mkII with 500% more pictures

Does this look right? Damping force adjusters dont look like they match, for one. Bike is on the centerstand.

Looks empty to me...

Same here... the breaks do work, though..

Too full? When on the sidestand, the level is below L

joey b.

Is the bike level fore/aft while on the sidestand? Might be a bit too much oil, might be fine (make sure it's level fore/aft). Front master = fine, there's fluid. rear master, tough to tell from pictures. open the lid up, a spring snake won't get you I promise. The forks. Tough to tell just looking at them. best to turn the adjuster all the way clockwise/counterclockwise (forget whick way) and then count the clicks back to factory setting (3 I think) then go from there for your riding style/preferences.

Oh, and another thing. Put some damn scratches on that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
      Oh, and another thing. Put some damn scratches on that thing.
      It does look extremely clean doesn't it, maybe he should at least baja it down a dusty dirt road. lol
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

On the dampening. The scribed line on the fork tube nut should match the dot on the clip-on. Like this -> !
        Last edited by Kfreak; 10-22-2008, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Front master = fine, there's fluid.
          ditto, you can see the small air bubble at the top.

Oh and another thing. Put some damn scratches on that thing.
          Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
          It does look extremely clean doesn't it,
          haha, I was thinking the same thing, waaay to clean.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Too much engine oil!

Comment

my adjusters look like they don't match either.. could even be exactly the same as yours.. gonna go look now.

Comment

I've been told to simply turn the adjusters all the way to the right(count one to see approximately how many turns it had), then turn them back counting the turns (probably around 2-3). They don't have to line up (in other words, it's okay that both lines don't aim straight up).

However, that's what I've been told, which could be wrong, but I did it and have been riding my bike for over 6 months with the suspension adjusted like that.
                Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                  Too much engine oil!

Too hard to tell, without knowing what angle the bike is on for each pic

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

ok, so i read the manual. it says they need to be at the same number of clicks, not the same angle.

so, two clicks from far right is stock. got that taken care of.

can't get the engine oil to look right, but if its too low on the side stand and too high on the center stand maybe it is normally a happy medium.. then agian, engine is cold in the picture.

now i need to get to my chain, it has about 1.75" of play on it, need to cut it down to .8-1.2". I found how to remove the pin, but am clueless as to how to proceed from there as the manual has a very crappy picture with incorrect labels.
                    joey b.

Comment

ok your master (handlebars) is full.... it would be a silver color not a yellow color is it were empty... and the bubble they mentioned

your rear brake resivour looks empty but it might just be clean fresh brake fluid (clear till it gets hit by sunlight)

and it looks like you have too much oil... make sure its exactly at F when on the centerstand... once again that thing should be silver if theres no oil up to that point...

too much oil is always worse than too little, youll do some engine dammage with high pressure and high rpm

and ya that thing looks like its in the show room... how many miles on it .03?

oh and TAKE OFF THE WARNING STICKERS!!! if you leave it in the sun after a few years the paint will just barely fade, and under the sticker will be glossy and new... looks horrid, happened to me... just do it you read em right
                      Last edited by IndyGunner; 10-22-2008, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by exfacior View Post
                        ok, so i read the manual. it says they need to be at the same number of clicks, not the same angle.
                        exactly, mine don't match either, but make sure they are at the same number of clicks

can't get the engine oil to look right, but if its too low on the side stand and too high on the center stand maybe it is normally a happy medium.. then agian, engine is cold in the picture.
                        try to hold the bike level, as if you were riding down the road..off the sidestand, not on the centerstand either...both wheels on the ground...perpendicular, that's the word I'm looking for...
                        now i need to get to my chain, it has about 1.75" of play on it, need to cut it down to .8-1.2". I found how to remove the pin, but am clueless as to how to proceed from there as the manual has a very crappy picture with incorrect labels.
                        loosen the rear axle nut, then tighten the adjusters the same amount on each side..i would start with about a quarter turn...it won't take much to make up that slack..retorque the axle nut and put the pin back in it
                        good luck!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Dam dude! Read the F-ing manual!! and dont mess with your chain, move the wheel back!

Comment

i am confused as to what the rear axle nut is. Is that the huge nut with the graded markings above it? (on both sides of the bike..?)

the right side is covered by a black plastic thingamajig and the cotter pin. do i need to remove both of those?

the left side just had the nut and the graded markings. in addition, my manual points to a nut at the end of the arm that only seems to hold a rectangular plate on the arm.

do any adjustments need to be made to both sides?
                            joey b.

Comment

i am confused as to what the rear axle nut is. Is that the huge nut with the graded markings above it? (on both sides of the bike..?)
                              Yes.

the right side is covered by a black plastic thingamajig and the cotter pin. do i need to remove both of those?
                              No clue as to what the black plastic is but the cotter pin has to come off. The cotter pin is designed so the nut does not come off while ridding.

the left side just had the nut and the graded markings. in addition, my manual points to a nut at the end of the arm that only seems to hold a rectangular plate on the arm.

do any adjustments need to be made to both sides?
                              The nuts at the end are to adjust the tension of the chain. Adjust them equally!! You don't want your rear wheel adjusted so that it is at an angle to the front sprocket.
                              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X