X

My hydraulic clutch conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My hydraulic clutch conversion

After having to replace a few cables over the winter months in preparation for the coming riding season, I decided that I wanted a hydraulic clutch on the old 98 Kat 600. So after some searching around I found a complete clutch setup from a 03 Bandit 1200 on ebay with just a busted lever. Sent off my 50 bucks and just got it in the mail today. Overall the conversion was not hard at all, but did require some heavy machine tools such as the lathe at my work.

Here are the two sprocket covers for comparison. Notice that the Bandit cover does not have the pivot pin for the shift lever. I had to machine a new one to get the dimensions correct with the Bandit cover.

So on to the lathe we go. Here we see the bolt that I started out with, minus its head which was cut off.

So after the new pin is machined I needed to drill and tap the mounting hole for the pin in the new cover. The cover material is rather thin so I used a trick that suzuki used in the original cover and added a nut behind the cover to tighten against the threads that I cut into the cover material. That and some JB weld thrown in the mix just to make me feel better about the whole situation.

Finally with all the machine work done and put together mounting on the bike was a snap. I just removed all the old system parts such as the cable and handle and the old sprocket cover of course.

Finally I threaded the new hydraulic line down through the frame to the slave cylinder and bolted it all together.

Sorry for the dark pictures, but my basement is not well lit and the camera batteries were weak so the flash didn't want to work. Oh well, you can still mostly see whats going on. Road test to follow once I get a new rear tire and I'm able to dig the 4 feet of snow away from my basement door.

looks like you did a fine job.
    however....got a question for ya. the bike is a 98, so isn't there any other model with a hydraulic clutch that will fit without having to go through all that? I would think there has to be something.

anyway, good job. a hydraulic clutch is great. flush it out every once in a while is all there is for maintenance. cables are a pita.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Awesome work
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

I chose the bandit setup because it had the speed sensor setup already in place. And I wouldent say that there was really that much work involved; Total time was about 2 hours.

Comment

nicely done. way to take advantage of the tools around you.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

NICE!!! WORK!!!! MAN!!!!!!!!!!
            Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The pictures at the end are a bit dark...can you get some brighter ones so I can really admire your work? That is some awesome work...hey maybe buy up all the covers on ebay and make a retrofit hydraulic kit?? 2hrs of work for a couple of hundred dollars income??? May be worth it...
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Nice work Monger..
                I thought there was a GSX-R with Hydro?

Comment

looks like I'll be searching ebay for a bandit clutch setup. (or I could just do a 1200 motor swap) nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    I thought there was a GSX-R with Hydro?
                    there is....as well as the 750gix. both had hydraulic clutches in 03. both are interchangeable (same part number).
                    it kinda makes me wonder why suzuki didn't use them on the kats.
                    cheap bastards.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

What is the benefit of a Hydro clutch? I think the conversion is cool but wanted to know the benefits..
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Looks like the flash on my camera is not going to work at all. I put in new batteries and it still refuses to work. So here are some pictures using the drop light. They still suck but you can see it a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                          What is the benefit of a Hydro clutch? I think the conversion is cool but wanted to know the benefits..
                          They are for women mostly ..

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                            [there is....as well as the 750gix. both had hydraulic clutches in 03. both are interchangeable (same part number).
                            it kinda makes me wonder why suzuki didn't use them on the kats.
                            cheap bastages.
                            I thought that the newer gixxers were completely different from the Kat motors, I.E. that the sprocket covers would not be interchangeable. Thats why I used the bandit setup, because I knew that the cover was a bolt on and it had the 98+ style speed sensor.

Comment

I have seen first gen GSXR engines with hydro setups. Maybe they are all custom? Maybe in the day someone offered parts?

Comment

Working...
                              X