X

Exhaust performance question for 06 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust performance question for 06 750

I have been doing a bit of reading and really haven't found the answer to my question by searching, though I did find a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

I found that the Bandit 1200 header will fit on my 06 750. Awesome.

But here is my dilema. Would putting on a Bandit header with aftermarket can from say 2Bros or Yoshi be better, in a performance aspect, as opposed to putting on a full 750 exhaust system built specifically for my bike from say, Hindle or Yoshi? Would I see any gains if I were to use an after-market header for the Bandit as opposed to using a stock header from the Bandit on my 750?

From what I read the Bandit exhaust really is not that wider in diamter than the 750, so would the 750 exhaust give me better low-end torque where as the 1200 would give me better top end?

I know the Kat is not a super-bike and will not, without some forced induction and major engine modding, get me to 200mph so I'm just looking to make it scream from 0-100. The exhaust is the last thing I want to do before I take it to the shop and get it dyno tested and fine tuned. Appreciate any input you guys have.

D
    Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

Well , it seems to me that most aftermarket exhausts are made with smoother flow in mind , not just a different diameter ..... But a larger diameter , in theory , gives better top-end with a loss in the bottom as a trade-off .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i'm thinkin a sprocket change would help make it "scream to 100".

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

i'm thinkin a sprocket change would help make it "scream to 100".
        yea no doubt.... take a look at the sprocket ratios cyberpoet posted a while back. Say the kat tops out at about 150, you can loose about 50 mph to maintain your goal. Thats roughly 30%, so find a sprocket on the chart to give you that. the downside it that youll shorten the life of your engine due to constant high rpms, especially on the freeway. Personally tho, i a wanted to put alot of money into makin a bike fast, ide sell the cat and get a S/S instead of a S/T
        Fo Sho.

Comment

I went +4 on the back and LOVE the difference
          MPG isn't too affected and it's much faster
          Top end loss hasn't been dramatic, but you go through gears much more quickly, you do more shifting

Something I'd try to check is how open the B12 pipes are, bigger diameter but crappy welds?
          Live and Lean.
          When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
          "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
          Romans 3:23

Comment

Re: Exhaust performance question for 06 750

Originally posted by Drastion
            I found that the Bandit 1200 header will fit on my 06 750. Awesome.

But here is my dilema. Would putting on a Bandit header with aftermarket can from say 2Bros or Yoshi be better, in a performance aspect, as opposed to putting on a full 750 exhaust system built specifically for my bike from say, Hindle or Yoshi? Would I see any gains if I were to use an after-market header for the Bandit as opposed to using a stock header from the Bandit on my 750?
            General rules:

Flow rates are controlled by cross-sectional area and total surface area; bigger cross-sectional area flows more; more total surface area creates more resistance. A balance is struck between these two facts (meaning there is such a thing as "too big a header pipe" for your engine).
            Wider will give you more top-end flow (less back-pressure).
            Narrower will give you more low-end torque (more back-pressure).
            More than 6 to 7 mm wider will start killing your top-end performance all-together (more drag area in the exhaust header pipes without increasing the flow characteristics at that point on that particular engine).
            Stock 750 header will give you about 25% increase in cross-sectional area compared to stock 600.
            Hindle & Yoshi headers will usually give you right around 6-7mm more, meaning something around 45% increase in cross-sectional area.
            The collector-to-midpipe restriction is the primary choke point from what I can tell, and it remains the same size for all the exhausts -- both stock and aftermarket. Thus, significant performance increases are not likely to be found on this particular engine by upgrading the headers/exhaust (max that I've seen reliably claimed is 3HP with a full Hindle exhaust on a 98+ -- that's more than $150 per HP for an under 5% difference).
            The cheapest upgrade available is to dremel out the weld seams inside the stock header. That will free up a significant amount of cross-sectional area (the welds on Kat & Bandit headers are particularly sloppy in my opinion).

Yes, I'm running the 750 header and exhaust on my 600. No, it didn't make a significant difference in total power, although it did change the tone of the bike to increase the intake sound level over the stock 600 system (yes, intake, not significant louder on the exhaust).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X