KOTM Aug 2007 chriskat1100

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 10-24-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
NoNafs
Chicken Strip

Default Cleaned carbs, now bike wont run!!!

I cleaned out my carbs, and when i put everything back the bike wouldnt start!! I figured the carb cleaner got into the chamber and is not combustable. So i push start the bike and it starts to run, but as soon as i gave it gas, it died. I gave up trying to start it hoping sum1 here could help out.
NoNafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
Anonymous
Skid Mark

Don't want to be over simple, but you are trying to start it in prime.....right?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #3
Anonymous
Skid Mark

Don't want to be over simple, but you are trying to start it in prime.....right?

(what's up with all the double posts DW??? sheeesh...)
Old 10-24-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

Dennis tapped the most likely cause -- the bowls and fuel lines are empty and need to be refilled via the PRIME position on the petcock (try 2 minutes).

The other obvious possible problems are:
Fuel filter not facing downhill (thus causing a fuel-supply issue);
Fuel line(s) kinked (blocked);
Too much choke (or choke sticking);
Poor seal at the airbox-to-carb connections.

When you say you cleaned out your carbs, do you mean that you removed the airbox and sprayed them out with carb cleaner, or that you actively disassembled them?

Good Luck!
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 10-24-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
NoNafs
Chicken Strip

Took apart the carbs removed jets cleaned them, took out float valves cleaned, sprayed down the interior of the carbs with carb clearner, adjusted float hieght of only 1 carb bc the rest were ok. changed o rings on float valves and used compressed air on all the ports of the carbs. . . i think that about covers it. tried running it on prime still no go. . . will try again in the mornin, i really want to ride b4 it gets real cold!!!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

You might want to go read through Doug771's various webpages on CV carbs and carb rebuilds:

http://771doug.netfirms.com/
http://771doug.netfirms.com/jetkit.html
http://771doug.netfirms.com/cv_desc_1.html

Sounds like you've got something very far off of where it's supposed to be, failed to connect a vacuum or fuel line, or didn't get a seal right.

Unfortunately, it's something virtually impossible to troubleshoot from a distance without more insight on what was left over when you were finished (just teasing).

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
The CyberPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:59 PM   #7
NoNafs
Chicken Strip

now that i think about it, i probably didnt leave the bike on prime for long enough, and since this is a gravity feed fuel system, i think ill need to cut some of that hose cuz its pretty long. Ill c what happens in the mornin and giv an update, appreciate all the quick responses!!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:08 AM   #8
Anonymous
Skid Mark

I have a question that is in line with NoNafs' problem.

93 Kat 600

Dismantled and Cleaned carbs, new exhaust, new plugs, new oil....has sat for quite a while (about 2 months). Started fine, but has plenty of smoke coming from the exhaust....could this just be the crap of it sitting buring off?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:21 AM   #9
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickitjp
I have a question that is in line with NoNafs' problem.

93 Kat 600

Dismantled and Cleaned carbs, new exhaust, new plugs, new oil....has sat for quite a while (about 2 months). Started fine, but has plenty of smoke coming from the exhaust....could this just be the crap of it sitting buring off?
What color was the smoke?

Figure white is probably condensation coming off the interior of the exhaust and whatever formed in the oil. Darker smoke may indicate a problem, as that means oil is burning. Carb cleaner could burn either way, depending on what's in it. The real question is whether it's a temporary problem (resolves itself in 10 minutes of running, or however long it takes the engine to heat up that first time to full operating temp) or if it smokes regularly after that.

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
The CyberPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #10
NoNafs
Chicken Strip

Ok, so i leave the bike to prime for a couple minutes, sprayed some starter fluid and guess what, it started right up!!!! so i rode up and down the street just to make sure it was running ok, it was doing some weird things, like revving up to 6k every time i pulled the clutch, so by the time i got home i was pulling into the driveway and held the clutch to slow down and the rpms dropped to 1k and then it started to sputter and died. I figured the idle cable wasnt set high enough so i tightened it a bit and now it wont start at all. this is so frustrating. . .
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101