• Galfer vs OEM brake lines

Galfer front brake lines for about $99
    VS
    Used OEM brake lines with calipers from a 03 Kat $40
    Pros?
    Cons?
    Bike: 98 600 Kat

Reason for changing lines:

So I'm having problems with my front brakes (low pressure). Have rebuilt the calipers, bled for about a week and went through 3 12oz cans of brake fluid, rebuilt the master cylinder, bled, bled, bled and still very low pressure. Have done all tips suggested (bleeding, master cylinder, tied the lever to the bar over night a couple of nights and so on), so now I'm thinking the brake lines might be the problem. I bought this bike two months ago, it had been setting out in the driveway for about 5 years.
    I'm thinking of replacing the brake lines with a set from Galfer for about $99
    However, since I'm not sure this will solve my problem I thought about buying a used set of oem brake lines and see if this fixes the problem. I found a complete set of lines with the calipers for $40 off a 03 600 kat.
    http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Originally posted by wickeded View Post
    Galfer front brake lines for about $99
    VS
    Used OEM brake lines with calipers from a 03 Kat $40
    Pros?
    Cons?
    Bike: 98 600 Kat

Reason for changing lines:

So I'm having problems with my front brakes (low pressure). Have rebuilt the calipers, bled for about a week and went through 3 12oz cans of brake fluid, rebuilt the master cylinder, bled, bled, bled and still very low pressure. Have done all tips suggested (bleeding, master cylinder, tied the lever to the bar over night a couple of nights and so on), so now I'm thinking the brake lines might be the problem. I bought this bike two months ago, it had been setting out in the driveway for about 5 years.
    I'm thinking of replacing the brake lines with a set from Galfer for about $99
    However, since I'm not sure this will solve my problem I thought about buying a used set of oem brake lines and see if this fixes the problem. I found a complete set of lines with the calipers for $40 off a 03 600 kat.
    OEM brake lines are recomended for replacement every 4 years. Those are at least 7 years old (almost 2x the recomended replacement timeline).

If you want to have spare calipers, go for it anyways... but I would suggest the lifetime steel braided lines myself.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      OEM brake lines are recomended for replacement every 4 years. Those are at least 7 years old (almost 2x the recomended replacement timeline).

If you want to have spare calipers, go for it anyways... but I would suggest the lifetime steel braided lines myself.

Krey
      Did not realize it was recommended every four years......Galfer it is.
      Thanks!

^^^^^^

Comment

Thanks!
        Since you are relatively close call up G&J aircraft and get a set of lines from them. Cheaper than Galfer.

Tmod

Comment

Thanks!
          $99 for front only? Three line set up? I would go with a two line set up (cheaper) and get the ones Tmod suggested or see what HS2020 has in the HEL.

OEM brake line replacement is 5 years except I like Krey's 4 years better. Because the manufactured date of an 03 is really 02 so the brake lines are 8 years old.
          Also you don't want to use used lines because you don't know what stress they were put under, sun, heat and poor maintenance (bending and twisting) shorten the life. New OEM lines are ridonkulously expensive (like 4X after market stainless braided lines) after market lines are better than OEM for lots of reasons. The core is generally a Teflon, much better at keeping water out is more resistant to the elements and has a higher pressure rating. The inner diameter is smaller that prevents swelling under pressure better. The stainless braiding further reduces swelling and prevents kinking and wear from abrasion.

I know you have already decided after market, but someone else might like to know all the reasons why..

Comment

I love my HEL lines. Im not sure if they actually make it stop better, but the brake handle has a much better feel to it, seems like you have better control over the pressure being applied.

I sprung for the whole set. Two lines in the front, rear line and clutch. Good chunk of change but It was worth it. Not to mention they are sweet looking.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
              I love my HEL lines. Im not sure if they actually make it stop better, but the brake handle has a much better feel to it, seems like you have better control over the pressure being applied.
              That's because of the "tighter" characteristics of the Teflon/braid, and the smaller diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post

I sprung for the whole set. Two lines in the front, rear line and clutch. Good chunk of change but It was worth it. Not to mention they are sweet looking.
                HEL sells clutch cables?

Or wait, did you swap over to the Bandit hydro?
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                  Since you are relatively close call up G&J aircraft and get a set of lines from them. Cheaper than Galfer.

Tmod
                  Got the lines from G&J 2pc set up ($54) and installed them, bled for about 2 hours......50% better but not normal
                  Here are some pics, I need to buy/make a bracket to hold the lines in the center to keep them from brushing on the forks.

^^^^^^

Comment

Got the lines from G&J 2pc set up ($54) and installed them, bled for about 2 hours......50% better but not normal
                    Here are some pics, I need to buy/make a bracket to hold the lines in the center to keep them from brushing on the forks.
                    Should have picked up some clamps from them while you were there, They have a nice aircraft clamp that is rubber lined that fits the line perfectly and they have the screw and nut as well for them. I am going with air still in the line.

Tmod

Comment

Gotta be air in the lines still. That is the only reason for spongy brakes if you have rebuilt the master cylinder and the calipers. I think I need to sell the G&J lines now.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                        Gotta be air in the lines still. That is the only reason for spongy brakes if you have rebuilt the master cylinder and the calipers. I think I need to sell the G&J lines now.

I garandamntee you have air in the Master Cylinder

Comment

So, should I just keep bleeding?
                          What if I just set up the tube and syringe on the valve and pull the fluid straight out? Will this make it worse?
                          Right now I have the lever tied to the bar and will bleed again later today.

^^^^^^

Comment

So, should I just keep bleeding?
                            What if I just set up the tube and syringe on the valve and pull the fluid straight out? Will this make it worse?
                            Right now I have the lever tied to the bar and will bleed again later today.
                            Put the syringe on the bleeder at the caliper the furthest from the m/c and push fluid up through the system slowly and see if that removes the air. Basically backwards bleeding.

Tmod

Comment

With the syringe you can back bleed and vacuum bleed.
                              Sometimes it takes a combination of all the techniques to fix an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X