X

katana life expectancy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
    Don't tell the GSXR, R1, CBR(insert displacement)RR douche, but the Katana is all the bike anyone needs, ever.
    Thats so true, my SS buddys at trackdays slow me down..

they pace away from me at the straight, when we arrive at the FIRST corner after the straight im all up in their rear tickeling their ears... its almost not fun sometimes.. and this is in the advanced group.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CPTIPZatIs"]Rudskogen 21.05.2012 - YouTube[/ame]
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      A Katana is also not a gsxr.
      When you are talking motor, it really is- the differences between a Kat 1100 and a GXSR 1100 motor are very, very small.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
        When you are talking motor, it really is- the differences between a Kat 1100 and a GXSR 1100 motor are very, very small.
        Yea.. like the engine internals.. crankshaft.. cams...
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
          Yea.. like the engine internals.. crankshaft.. cams...
          Thats all minor stuff anyway...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
            You know what plays a HUGE role in running pods? Cam lobe lift height, and jetting. Both of which are completely different between the Kat 1100 and the GSXR 1100.

Comment

So a katana 1100 is high performance because it barely manages to run the same 1/4 mile as a 5 year old 600 SS and cant turn? Got it.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well, since my Katana is burning oil wicked bad as opposed to leaking it everywhere now, even after the motor swap, not long. That and the damn chain broke this week and the chain was new and had been lubed.

I'm gonna start parting it out - I'm trading in my 1993 Ford explorer 4x4 straight-across for a modded out Buell Blast, which will probably be even slower than the Katana, but I really don't care as long as I can stay on 2 wheels.

The carbs are going to move on to give new life to my brother's yet unfinished 89 kat 600. hopefully we find its motor is in better shape.
                Last edited by black&blue; 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM.
                Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
                Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
                2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

[QUOTE=black&blue;2202033]

I'm gonna start parting it out - I'm trading in my explorer on a modded out Buell Blast, which will probably be even slower than the Katana, but I really don't care as long as I can stay on 2 wheels."

I rode a Buell Blast before I bought my Kat. now I wouldn't even consider a Blast. underpowered and vibration galore. you can do better for the same price.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Buell Blast? Might want to think twice....that's like a Ninja 250 in terms of power and speed. Just a heads up.....

Comment

well unless you can find someone else willing to trade me a 2000+ model bike in good running order for a 1993 Ford Explorer 4x4 as payment, I'm sticking with the Blast. I don't know anyone else willing to trade me for my explorer, and I have no cash, and this Explorer has been damn near impossible to sell, despite being the nicest example of a 1st gen I've seen around. This particular Blast I'm trading for is also fully modified with a 515cc kit, V&H Exhaust, Stage IV jetting, iridium plug, is lowered 1" and a few other goodies that make it a bit less anemic, but I recognize it's going to be less power than the Katana. Two birds, meet one stone.

I am aware of what a Blast is and that it is a beginner bike, but I'd rather have a beginner bike than quit riding - and FWIW i've read the blast is more comfortable than a ninja anyway. I sat on a 2006 Ninja 600 recently and the seat was like sitting on a damn rock the shape of a piece of pizza. The seat on the blast looks substantial enough not to be awful. I'm also a commuter, so the 50+mpg isn't a bad thing either.
                      Last edited by black&blue; 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM.
                      Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
                      Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
                      2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Anyone got some specs to compare bikes?
                        Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Compare which bikes?
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Kat 1100 vs gsxr 1100
                            Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by mahemmjr View Post
                              Kat 1100 vs gsxr 1100
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Is it a pre kat you are parting out? or post

Comment

Working...
                                X