X

A question of speeding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of speeding

Hey guys. Wondering what your opinions are on this semi political question. First of all I've been riding and driving hard since 17, I have 3 years of experience and I know how to be as fast as you can without being stupid. I know my limits. So please no MSF quotes I scored a perfect 100 in both 2 and 3 wheel classes.

Its kinda long. Here is the thesis of it if you don't want to read it all.

Why should track days be used as rare events to tone our skills? Shouldn't we be able to race most days on a track instead of the road. I feel like being able to go to a track when I wanted would remove my desire to speed in normal roads, and speeding on normal roads is way cheaper, paying off tickets, but less safe. Doesn't this seem ridiculous? Society sucks.

I know safety is the way to go for speed, and track riding, on top of just not riding a pre-kat lol, is the safest way to go. But track riding is expensive. Some states have nice situations where you can get track days for cheap, but everything here in the NW is around 200 a day. As a full time student, and I will be a student for another few years, paying for track days is not a viable option. If you think about it, for 200 dollars all you get is a safer road to ride hard on, but the price of a speeding ticket for the amount of time you spend on riding hard is waaayyyyyy cheaper than anything on the track.
    Why should track days be used as rare events to tone our skills? Shouldn't we be able to race most days. I feel like being able to go to a track when I wanted would remove my desire to speed in normal roads. I mean whats the point of a speed limit in the first place if 80% of the traffic is going over. Why should a bike have the same limit as a semi-truck. Why are there bike only checkpoints if motorcycles themselves cause almost no fatalities.
    Car street racers feel the same way. There needs to be a more economical way to go racing in the US without losing safety. This situation seems to only have gotten worse over time with more liberal policies that require you to pay to be safe or be punished. Riders like me will not give up riding hard no matter how many tickets we get. Its what we do, no other group is so penalized for following dreams. If its going to be more expensive for track racing due to insurance and ambulances then allow us to sign waiver to not have it. If riders could just meet at an area that would be closed off at least it would be more likely that someone would notice if you went down, and there wouldn't be cars or gravel to distract or kill us.

Because riding fast on the streets is dangerous, thats why you take it to a track. No cars, no gravel, no potholes.

I like riding hard as much as the next guy, but there's a limit to what I'll do on the street. It's just stupid
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by MotoKatana View Post
      Hey guys. Wondering what your opinions are on this semi political question. First of all I've been riding and driving hard since 17, I have 3 years of experience and I know how to be as fast as you can without being stupid. I know my limits. So please no MSF quotes I scored a perfect 100 in both 2 and 3 wheel classes.

Its kinda long. Here is the thesis of it if you don't want to read it all.

Why should track days be used as rare events to tone our skills? Shouldn't we be able to race most days on a track instead of the road. I feel like being able to go to a track when I wanted would remove my desire to speed in normal roads, and speeding on normal roads is way cheaper, paying off tickets, but less safe. Doesn't this seem ridiculous? Society sucks.

I know safety is the way to go for speed, and track riding, on top of just not riding a pre-kat lol, is the safest way to go. But track riding is expensive. Some states have nice situations where you can get track days for cheap, but everything here in the NW is around 200 a day. As a full time student, and I will be a student for another few years, paying for track days is not a viable option. If you think about it, for 200 dollars all you get is a safer road to ride hard on, but the price of a speeding ticket for the amount of time you spend on riding hard is waaayyyyyy cheaper than anything on the track.
      Why should track days be used as rare events to tone our skills? Shouldn't we be able to race most days. I feel like being able to go to a track when I wanted would remove my desire to speed in normal roads. I mean whats the point of a speed limit in the first place if 80% of the traffic is going over. Why should a bike have the same limit as a semi-truck. Why are there bike only checkpoints if motorcycles themselves cause almost no fatalities.
      Car street racers feel the same way. There needs to be a more economical way to go racing in the US without losing safety. This situation seems to only have gotten worse over time with more liberal policies that require you to pay to be safe or be punished. Riders like me will not give up riding hard no matter how many tickets we get. Its what we do, no other group is so penalized for following dreams. If its going to be more expensive for track racing due to insurance and ambulances then allow us to sign waiver to not have it. If riders could just meet at an area that would be closed off at least it would be more likely that someone would notice if you went down, and there wouldn't be cars or gravel to distract or kill us.
      This is wrong on so many levels. and I don't care to elaborate.....you probably wouldn't accept what "old fogies" said anyway. You and "others" trying to "hone" their testerosterone on a public hwy are my worst nightmare. If you can't afford a track day to get a release, please sell your bike/car and ride a hooker.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I ride hard, but only when it's as safe as I can make it. If you're on a road you arent intimately familiar with and are riding to the point where you will bin it because of an unseen bump...well...enjoy the trees

If $200 for a track day is too expensive, you picked the wrong sport.
        Last edited by ZukiFred; 05-15-2012, 09:40 PM.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by MotoKatana View Post
          but the price of a speeding ticket for the amount of time you spend on riding hard is waaayyyyyy cheaper than anything on the track.
          W
          And when your insurance company finds out about those ticket's it's get's expensive fast, and for years to come.

50km/h over, (about 35mph for you) up here is considered street racing and get's you on the spot a .....

7 day license suspension
          Automatic towing of your vehicle and 7 day impound
          up to a $5000 fine
          and a 6 year anal raping by your insurance company

Oh and even if you get off on the street racing charge, your still on the hook for the tow and impound. That runs about $1400.

A $200 track day is WAY cheaper, hell grab an older sport bike and a cheap trailer and you have a dedicated track set up for under $3000 or $4000. Then you don`t have to worry about wrecking your street bike.
          Kyle

Comment

its all about being able to walk through your own front door at the end of a ride. that s what does it for me .
            im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
              And when your insurance company finds out about those ticket's it's get's expensive fast, and for years to come.

50km/h over, (about 35mph for you) up here is considered street racing and get's you on the spot a .....

7 day license suspension
              Automatic towing of your vehicle and 7 day impound
              up to a $5000 fine
              and a 6 year anal raping by your insurance company

Oh and even if you get off on the street racing charge, your still on the hook for the tow and impound. That runs about $1400.

A $200 track day is WAY cheaper, hell grab an older sport bike and a cheap trailer and you have a dedicated track set up for under $3000 or $4000. Then you don`t have to worry about wrecking your street bike.
              I think I seen a big board on hwy 6 on my way to Dundas friday its "up to" $10K
              Track days are like minded people trying to do the same thing
              Something like Little Johnny cant walk out on the track in front of you on his way to school either

If you think track days are going so great , you should be going Pro
              Sponcers should be along anytime
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

If you could find a road that you were 100% sure that riding way above the speed that it was designed for would and would in no way jeopardize any other innocent persons I'd be the first to say it is totally your right to tear it up. Unfortunately, those roads, to my knowledge, don't really exist. It is your right to risk your life and limbs, but you do not have the right to impose that on another person, because they have rights too. If you organized a petition to propose to a local track to have periodic "deep discounts for safety" days you might be surprised how much support and cooperation you would get from not only bikers but local police and community groups. For a track it would be great and free public relations and advertising. That would be a great win-win for all!

Comment

Originally posted by Scout
                  Like...wow, Batman!!!! I think we just found a top runner for squid of the year.

Way to tie in a prostitution reference, Nino. Classy.
                  Yeah.... well.... three seasons ago on my ride out to Lighthouse Cove somebody driving a "souped-up" Chev truck crossed into my line and I came "up close and personal" to a few mailboxes after having to choose a new line on a gravel shoulder. It could have ended badly.....really badly. Truth be told, my hands were trembling when I got to the lighthouse....and it took a lot for me to suck it up and climb back on. I've "taken myself out" on more times than I care to remember throughout my riding career, but at least it was my fault........not some wannabe racer's. Know what I'm sayin'?
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by expvet View Post
                    If you could find a road that you were 100% sure that riding way above the speed that it was designed for would and would in no way jeopardize any other innocent persons I'd be the first to say it is totally your right to tear it up. Unfortunately, those roads, to my knowledge, don't really exist. It is your right to risk your life and limbs, but you do not have the right to impose that on another person, because they have rights too. If you organized a petition to propose to a local track to have periodic "deep discounts for safety" days you might be surprised how much support and cooperation you would get from not only bikers but local police and community groups. For a track it would be great and free public relations and advertising. That would be a great win-win for all!
                    I agree totally here. I have a responsibility to you. To make sure my actions are accountable and I do not infringe on your right to live a "normal" life. I ride hard and find myself speeding sometimes but I do my best never to put anyone elses butt on the line but MINE. I have never been on a track but I do know of some closed/unfinished roads in my area to make sure it is only me paying the price if I bite it.
                    `03 Shadow VLX
                    `92 Kat 750 Project
                    ~M109R in the near future
                    Originally posted by arsenic
                    Oil's like religion, there's a million of them and yours is wrong.

Comment

3 years and you're an expert. Guess the rest of us our doing it wrong.

Speeding ticket cost, well, I take it you don't pay your own insurance.

Track day, have you done one? Maybe if you had, you'd get it, but probably not.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I'm no expert but I am guessing that a high percentage of the track day fees go to insurance costs. Blame it on all the lawyers out there..
                        89 Katana 750
                        06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

I think most people think they are great riders, but they aren't. Hey, I have been riding for the last 33 years, currently have a C14 and a '91 Kat 1100- I consider myself an ok rider. Actually, by one measure, I am an incredibly good rider. I say this because:
                          1) I try to put the safety of others above my own.
                          2) Never drink and drive. On road trips, I get a motel close to the brewpub and walk it.
                          3) I never flaunt the speed laws. I usually drive 5mph over on long trips
                          4) I have not gotten a ticket on a bike in the lat 32 years.
                          5) No accidents in the last 32 years.
                          Yeah, I have pretty good insurance rates too! I drive safely, hope everyone does too, accidents suck as does jail.
                          If i were to ride with someone in the mountains and they were to ride faster than I feel comfortable with, I'd just wave bye-bye.
                          I still remember the fatal bike wreak I handled when I was an adjuster- guy on a Honda Hurricane 1000 t-boned a CRX, woman in CRX was killed, the asshat on the Hurricane had only a couple of broken ribs. He must have been doing at least 60 in a congested urban area.
                          Last edited by DClark; 05-16-2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                            3 years and you're an expert. Guess the rest of us our doing it wrong.

Speeding ticket cost, well, I take it you don't pay your own insurance.

Track day, have you done one? Maybe if you had, you'd get it, but probably not.
                            can't remember but wont most insurance companies stop insuring you after so many tickets, i know it gets damn expensive quick
                            never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                            Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                            confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by Malarky112 View Post
                              I'm no expert but I am guessing that a high percentage of the track day fees go to insurance costs. Blame it on all the lawyers out there..
                              Here's what I remember from my insurance days-
                              Most policies will not cover a comp loss if it is in a race. This could be on the track OR street. That's right, if you wrecked your bike in an illegal street race (got cited to prove it), you probably be denied comp coverage.
                              Take the bike to the track, race others, wreck it, no coverage.
                              But, if you are doing a time trial by yourself, no one else there, it is not a contest of speed, hey, coverage!
                              Now as for track liability-it isn't as much as you think. if you wreck and paralyze yourself, you have little recourse against the track as you'd be hard pressed to show that one of the five elements of a tort was violated. The big liability is spectators, if they get hurt buy a flying tire or something or even slip and fall, food poisoning, etc.
                              My company used to insure socal night clubs, like the Station (where Van Halen used to play before making it big) and places that catered to punkers. We got a crap load of claims from them. I asked by supervisor why we insured them when we get so many claims from them and he said "Because we charge a ^#&#$I load for our insurance!".

Comment

Working...
                              X