Post 750 shock options?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
    I know exactly what you mean!

I've been collecting parts for my 78 F150 for 5 years now! Only been able to work on it for 3 summers or so, but collecting parts = saving money!

Edit: I didn't know that shocks could be resprung for the specific weight of a person. I usually ride with my gal on the back, so no wonder why my rear end hurts after going over bumps!!

Any reading material you know of to toss my way? Threads?

I'm going to go on a wild goose chase to start searching.
    Check out www.racetech.com I checked the sag on the front by using a ziptie against the dust seal and had about 65mm of sag. Put the correct springs in and right at 35mm. That is on the soft end but I can fine tune it using washers f t ends up feeling too soft.

Comment

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
      Check out www.racetech.com I checked the sag on the front by using a ziptie against the dust seal and had about 65mm of sag. Put the correct springs in and right at 35mm. That is on the soft end but I can fine tune it using washers f t ends up feeling too soft.
      I disagree on the statement that 35mm is on the soft side, Maybe it is softer then you prefer but 33% of suspension travel is the norm for street use and that would be right about 40mm for street use.

Tmod

Edit: I didn't know that shocks could be resprung for the specific weight of a person. I usually ride with my gal on the back, so no wonder why my rear end hurts after going over bumps!!
      Ideally you would want to respring and revalve as the stock post 750 shock leaves alot to be desired in the damping department as well as being undersprung.

Tmod
      Last edited by Tmod; 04-22-2014, 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
        Ideally you would want to respring and revalve as the stock post 750 shock leaves alot to be desired in the damping department as well as being undersprung.

Tmod
        Interesting stuff. I figured the 750 shock wouldn't need a whole ton of work done to it if it's already more desirable than the 600 shock.

Riding 2-up and still recommending stock surprises me though.

Are all of the post shocks desirable, or just certain years?
        2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
        - Aaron

Comment

Interesting stuff. I figured the 750 shock wouldn't need a whole ton of work done to it if it's already more desirable than the 600 shock.

Riding 2-up and still recommending stock surprises me though.

Are all of the post shocks desirable, or just certain years?
          It is better then the stock 600 shock but still leaves alot to be desired. You can get anyone from 98~06 as they all have the same valving internally and the same adjusters.The stock spring is not adequate for 2 up riding as you would want a stiffer rate spring and then have some available adjustment range.

Tmod

Comment

Can someone explain why the r6 is not compatible with a post bike? I had one on my 95 and that thing handled so perfect with 110 racetech springs up front.

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Originally posted by Lykkan View Post
              Can someone explain why the r6 is not compatible with a post bike? I had one on my 95 and that thing handled so perfect with 110 racetech springs up front.

Clearance issues. The post kat has an integrated battery compartment to the under tail fender that sits significantly lower than the pre kat, putting the entire battery box in the way of the r6 reservoir.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I disagree on the statement that 35mm is on the soft side, Maybe it is softer then you prefer but 33% of suspension travel is the norm for street use and that would be right about 40mm for street use.

Tmod

Tmod
                Hi Tmod,
                The 35mm is what I was reading in the instructions that came with the springs. I will try it and see how it feels. In the past I have usually preferred a stiffer suspension but I am not riding near as hard these days.
                I had picked up a used post 750 shock and ordered a spring from you. The guy that was going to work on it does not want to work on it because he is not sure he will be able to get it working correctly. When he took the reservoir apart everything was wrong. No cap with valve to put the nitrogen in and the bladder had been installed backward so that the oil would fill it. Bummed because I just got my rear spring from you to put on it also. Any recommendations? Looks like starting my search for another shock.

Comment

Hi Tmod,
                  The 35mm is what I was reading in the instructions that came with the springs. I will try it and see how it feels. In the past I have usually preferred a stiffer suspension but I am not riding near as hard these days.
                  I had picked up a used post 750 shock and ordered a spring from you. The guy that was going to work on it does not want to work on it because he is not sure he will be able to get it working correctly. When he took the reservoir apart everything was wrong. No cap with valve to put the nitrogen in and the bladder had been installed backward so that the oil would fill it. Bummed because I just got my rear spring from you to put on it also. Any recommendations? Looks like starting my search for another shock.
                  That shock is an inverted bladder and they are supposed to be that way, We sell a reservoir cap for it.

Tmod

Comment

That shock is an inverted bladder and they are supposed to be that way, We sell a reservoir cap for it.

Tmod
                    How often do you guys get shocks sent in that cannot be rebuilt? I guess a lesson learned. Local places said they could rebuild so I ordered the spring from you hoping for a quick turnaround time locally so that I could get it on the bike quickly. I just don't want to ship it to you and then find out that it really cant be used. would pics be helpful to see the condition of the shock to determine if it just a waist of my time and money?

Comment

How often do you guys get shocks sent in that cannot be rebuilt? I guess a lesson learned. Local places said they could rebuild so I ordered the spring from you hoping for a quick turnaround time locally so that I could get it on the bike quickly. I just don't want to ship it to you and then find out that it really cant be used. would pics be helpful to see the condition of the shock to determine if it just a waist of my time and money?
                      We get them from time to time but you can ask members here that I have rebuilt several post 750 shocks. The 600's are sealed but we are not interested in them anyway so that don't matter. The stock post 750 is like some older CBR600 shocks with an inverted bladder, Not a big deal just takes a different approach to bleeding them.

Oh if you want throw some images up and I should be able to tell what it needs.

Tmod

Comment

Tmod,
                        Pics of my shock. Looking at these pics, is there anything missing or wrong with the reservoir, shock shaft or threaded collar that would make it unable to be rebuilt by you? I did not have the guy put anything back together. I could send it to you with the new spring and the spring retainers if you think you can rebuild it.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by rschlegel; 04-24-2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          Clearance issues. The post kat has an integrated battery compartment to the under tail fender that sits significantly lower than the pre kat, putting the entire battery box in the way of the r6 reservoir.

Krey
                          Thanks Kreylyn, looks like I'll pickup a 750 shock and maybe have it rebuilt

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Tmod,

I never realized that you did suspension rebuilding yourself... figured it was just a hobby or something that you did for katrider members... until I saw your website.

Maybe this discussion isn't for this thread, but what have you charged others in the past to rebuild a post 750 shock (ball-park figure is all I'm looking for. I know it's dependent on what would need to be changed out once you get it apart)?

If I don't have to send a shock to Racetech, I likely won't. It'd be nice to get the work done by someone on this forum, someone who have proven they know what they're doing, and ultimately, someone who I can keep in contact with (and already know).

Edit: Just noticed too that Racetech is one of your partners on your site. Not sure of your relationship to them, but it'd be interesting to hear it explained.
                            Last edited by Aaron-71; 04-24-2014, 09:31 AM.
                            - Aaron

Comment

Tmod,

I never realized that you did suspension rebuilding yourself... figured it was just a hobby or something that you did for katrider members... until I saw your website.

Maybe this discussion isn't for this thread, but what have you charged others in the past to rebuild a post 750 shock (ball-park figure is all I'm looking for. I know it's dependent on what would need to be changed out once you get it apart)?

If I don't have to send a shock to Racetech, I likely won't. It'd be nice to get the work done by someone on this forum, someone who have proven they know what they're doing, and ultimately, someone who I can keep in contact with (and already know).

Edit: Just noticed too that Racetech is one of your partners on your site. Not sure of your relationship to them, but it'd be interesting to hear it explained.
                              Aaron-71,
                              Does this mean you wont be selling the 750 shock you have or do you have a couple of them?
                              If you end up purchasing anything, make sure you let them know about KR to get a discount. I did not realize that when I bought my rear spring. I do not know if they discount the labor though.
                              Last edited by rschlegel; 04-24-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
                                Aaron, I have a post 750 shock for sale.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133894
                                I'm actually planning on buying Redhawk's 750 shock because I'm EXTREMELY unsatisfied with my current 600 shock (which is likely shot because of all the 2-up riding I've done)... and the fact that I'm 220 pounds by myself (without riding gear).

Aaron-71,
                                Does this mean you wont be selling the 750 shock you have or do you have a couple of them?
                                If you end up purchasing anything, make sure you let them know about KR to get a discount. I did not realize that when I bought my rear spring. I do not know if they discount the labor though.
                                I also never knew that this forum got us any sort of discounts! That's awesome!

I should really become a supporting member... this forum has a lot to give!
                                - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                                X