X

Stupid question but I got to ask...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question but I got to ask...

I was talking to a friend of mine...we were talking about bikes and he said "Have you looked at the transmission fluid on your bike?" My answer was that I thought the oil from the engine lubricates not only the clutch but the tranny gears?...His answer was that every bike he owned had a seperate transmission and he would check it and change it occasionally. Now he may be right and I may be just completely in the dark...but is he right that we need to check our transmission fluid?? I didn't argue with him because I am not a mechanic and really have not taken apart my bike to that extent...I mean I pulled the plugs and changed the oil and that is about it...at least for now...but I do plan to crack that thing open one day...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Tell him to look at the palm of your right hand.

Then, when he looks at it, slap him across the face with it.

Then say "you've been owned!"

Then tell him how wrong he was about the 'transmission fluid' which there is no such thing on our bikes (and most other bikes).

Comment

Harleys, (non sportsers) early (called pre unit) Triumphs and Harley knock offs (SS, Titian etc) are the only ones I know of..

Comment

yea i thought separate tranny oil was very rare on most any bike.

now the question is what fluid is the guy checking that he thinks is tranny oil? could be the rear brake fluid im beating... but if hes putting tranny oil in the brakes?
        03 katanika

Comment

Great ...I'm glad I'm right ...see he's one of those "know it all's"...he always thinks he's right...so now I feel better...He will be "owned" come Monday....
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

He might also be thinking of the oil many shaft-driven motorcycles have in the shaft casing... All Honda shafties and most BMW shafties have a separate oil for the shaft case which needs to be changed every 20k miles or so, and should be topped off about every 5k if needed.

And as BP pointed out, some HD's, some Triumphs had actual separated tranny fluid areas (as well as some BMW's, virtually all Burroughs, some early Nortons & MotorGuzzi's, and Urals [which are knock-offs of WW2 BMW's] and a few larger Honda's).

But these days, it's rare to see that separation, and it sure 'taint in your Katana.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              And as Thaz pointed out,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Did I miss Thaz's post?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                And as Thaz pointed out,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Did I miss Thaz's post?!?!?

Shiate... sorry... you both look the same in your sunday church dresses from behind...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm, betting not!!!!

Get that prescription fixed!!!

Comment

Yeah , it's a shaftie thing . My old Virago had tranny oil .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X