X

They should have called it wild kat.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They should have called it wild kat.

I just got done riding my 96 750cc katana out at my grandparents. Mind you this was in the grass to get used to shifting and clutching and such so no thing very fast went down.

Let me tell you though first gear is nuts! I'm beting its just because of the grass but I ended up leaving a 30 foot tire track threw the yard because I got on the throttle way to much.

I need to get it on the road so its a bit more sure footed but got to get tags and insurance first.

ummm...dude.....getting used to a bike on grass is not the brightest thing one can do. stick to the ashpalt dude.
    take my word on this....IF you do lose it on the grass, there is alot less chance of getting back under control than on asphalt.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I completely agree with you on that one. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my grandparents bought me this bike. Sence the only thing I have ever rode with a manual was a friends 4 wheeler my grandfather insisted that I get used to shifting in the grass before I go out on the road.

As soon as the tags, insurance, and title are all good then I'm definitly taking it out on the road. One that is not to busy.

I did ride it a second time tonight in the grass and took it alot easyer with the throttle and every thing went alright for that.

Comment

it's quicker than a car
        Live and Lean.
        When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
        "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
        Romans 3:23

Comment

Here's to the coolest grandparents ever! Three cheers!

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yea beleave it or not they realy are awsome. I just got this and am going to be paying them back for half the bike.

Before this they gave me there 85 caddy Seville and after that started having problems we sold it and they used that money and bought me a 78 camaro.

Comment

Just continue to tear up the yard . They will relent sooner or later .....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

lol he was already pissed about that nice line I accidental put in the yard. Though the 2nd time out a did much better just kept it in first and practiced starting from a stop.

Sounds boring to most but I had a heck of a time and you gota learn to crawl before you walk as they say.

Comment

umm....one thing that has failed to be mentioned here is when you will start your MSF course.

Your grandparents might be cool and all, but it is not too cool of you to be learning your skillz on a lawn, and then be heading out to share the road with the rest of us.

Nothing personal, but the idea of anyone just hitting the streets with no skillz beside being able to "start from a stop" kind of irks me. You are only getting half the practice. Each time you start, you have to stop, eventually. How is that emergency braking working out on the lawn? lol
                  Mind you, I didn't take a course either when I started riding street bike about 25 years ago, but at least I had a few years of moto-x under my belt.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, and it isn't personal. I would just have a bit more respect in ya if you tell us you have an MSF course scheduled. It can teach you alot and possibly save your life...or the life of another. Think seriously about what I am saying.

Comment

Oh yea I know about the MSF and the wait around here is about a year from what they told me.

I have been riding for a few months now on his scooter which is limited to about 50 with me on it. Now keep in mind the power between the scooter and the 750 kat are extremely different the leaning and basics are the same. One of my friends who is about half the weight as I road gramps scooter and is selling off his super sport in favor of the scooter. I don't blam him because you realy have to lean forward on his bike.

So don't think of this like I'm geting right on a new high powered bike and heading right out on the road to go kill some people I have far more sence than to put any one elses lives on the line.

I realy wish they would let you ride at night here. If they would I could trailer the bike over to our local mall where a security guard frind of min works and practice on a big empty lot at 3 in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by hcker2000
                      Oh yea I know about the MSF and the wait around here is about a year from what they told me.

I have been riding for a few months now on his scooter which is limited to about 50 with me on it. Now keep in mind the power between the scooter and the 750 kat are extremely different the leaning and basics are the same. One of my friends who is about half the weight as I road gramps scooter and is selling off his super sport in favor of the scooter. I don't blam him because you realy have to lean forward on his bike.

So don't think of this like I'm geting right on a new high powered bike and heading right out on the road to go kill some people I have far more sence than to put any one elses lives on the line.

I realy wish they would let you ride at night here. If they would I could trailer the bike over to our local mall where a security guard frind of min works and practice on a big empty lot at 3 in the morning.

cool....good to hear.
                      as far as not being allowed to ride at night, I am sure if a cop did come along and you explained that you trailered it there just to improve your skills, he might let you just continue.....seeing as you will arrive and leave by trailering the bike. he would be a real jerk if not.

Comment

I talked to my one friend who is a local cop and he had no problems with it what so ever the real issue is that he can't promise that it would be him driving threw the parking lot every time.

Also sence I have my permit only and no night riding is allowed then it would be considered riding with out a licence if the cop realy wanted to be a dick I'm sure I would get in some serious shit and posibly lose the bike.

The idea I'm working with right now is going and passing the bmv test on the scooter that way I have my full licence. Then I can go over to the mall and ride legally at night.

I forgot to mention this. Its more of an odd little story about the MSF around here but when my grandpa went to get his permit and passed they were actually trying to get him to be an instructor.

Now he has had plenty of bikes in his life time (42 I beleave he said) but has not rode one for a long while. Normaly to be an instructor you are suposed to have your licence for x amount of time (eather 6 months or a year minimum). They are so hard up for people to teach the class that they offered to wave that requirement if he was interested.

He wasn't as they travel and such so the story end there but I just found it very odd.

Comment

Actually I learned how to ride a motorbike in my parents back yard. It was a 1979 Suzuki TS 125 Enduro. Yea I bit it a couple times normally because of my youth and stupidity. That taught me very quickly that I didn't like wrecking so now being that I am on asphault on a heavier bike I am even more careful. I do believe though that riding the bike in the yard for a few years taught me the fundamentals of riding. I do agree with Mojoe that a motorcycle saftey course wouldn't be a bad idea. Good luck with you tags & title and don't twist the throttle back hard while in the grass although I am sure you now know that

Comment

Originally posted by hcker2000
                            I don't know who told you that, but go to the MSF website, look up their locations in adjacent counties and areas as well and see which of those might have much shorter waiting lists. When I sent my gf to hers, the local MSF BRC was a 4-1/2 month wait; the next county over was only a 2 or 3 week wait (and almost 50% cheaper to boot!).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

[quote="Mojoe"]umm....one thing that has failed to be mentioned here is when you will start your MSF course.

quote]

+1

Also, here in California we have class M1 and M2 licenses which are different for a scooter/ moped vs a motorcycle license. Don't know if it's the same where you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X