KOTM Feb 2009 Mat0302

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
FDuranCol
Poser

Thumbs up Going from USA to South America on a KAT!!!

Hello everybody...

I want to share this will be Adventure with all of you,
I have always dreamed about a big motorcycle trip.
So, as you guys know, i just got my beloved 2002 Kat and i been doing maintenance an installing new stuff for my trip, yep THE trip...
Everything is going well and I'm almost ready....
I'm just finishing up some paperwork with immigration, all should be clear by the end of this month, so i am delayed but not given up..
My new departure will be by Sept 15, its a set date...

I am 31 years young, COLOMBIANO. Have ridden in south America, some what... bike mechanic... and fluent Spanish. i guess that helps a lot...

I have a Suzuki Katana (Sport Tourer) with all the luggage, bike is only 7K miles and fully serviced. i also have challenged my self on this bike as far as how long i can ride with it no stop, and my last trip to the mountains i put 200 miles one way lunch for 30 min, gas, and 200 miles back in aprox 7 hours, average speed 50 mi in the canyons, so i feel i can handle it no problem.

In the other hand i am not in a hurry and i expect to be in Central America for a month, maybe more if needed. I also plan once in Cent America, ride early in the morning for 3 hours, stop rest lunch rest some more and then hit the road for another 3 hours maybe 40 to 60 miles speed average. witch is a good speed down there... and then look for a hotel / motel / a place to sleep... that's basically the idea, also try to hit interesting points and towns, on the weekends it's better to rest... and party ( may be... lol) well i don't drink but c'mon
That's it, at soonest i hit south of the border my plan is no plan... no hurry and looking to absorb the most of the culture in every town... ride of a lifetime...

I also will be in Colombia for a little while...

I will be posting pictures of the bike and the mods and the luggage so ill keep you guys updated.

Fernando.

Last edited by FDuranCol; 09-27-2009 at 09:51 PM..
FDuranCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
kevin2502000
Kat Legend

eBay ID: kevin2502000

AWSOME! I'm jealous Please post your progress so I can live vicariously through you.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
ckholloway
Katrider

that's very cool. I would love to do something like that one day

2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.
ckholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
katitoy
Katrider

That's great. One of my wishes aswell but traveling North to Niagara.

Please keep us posted and also picture of you bike with all the saddlebags, etc...
Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Slofuze
Kat King

Keep us posted......I'd be happy to read about you cruisin' in South America while I'm freezing my azz off and looking at the snow I have to shovel.
96 YZF 1000R
Slofuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
tdrcomm
Kat King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDuranCol View Post
Hello everybody...

I want to share this will be Adventure with all of you,
I have always dreamed about a big motorcycle trip.
So, as you guys know, i just got my beloved 2002 Kat and i been doing maintenance an installing new stuff for my trip, yep THE trip...
Everything is going well and I'm almost ready....
I'm just finishing up some paperwork with immigration, all should be clear by the end of this month, so i am delayed but not given up..
My new departure will be by Sept 15, its a set date...

I am 31 years young, ridden in south America, some what... bike mechanic... and fluent Spanish. i guess that helps a lot...

I have a Suzuki Katana (Sport Tourer) with all the luggage, bike is only 7K miles and fully serviced. i also have challenged my self on this bike as far as how long i can ride with it no stop, and my last trip to the mountains i put 200 miles one way lunch for 30 min, gas, and 200 miles back in aprox 7 hours, average speed 50 mi in the canyons, so i feel i can handle it no problem.

In the other hand i am not in a hurry and i expect to be in Central America for a month, maybe more if needed. I also plan once in Cent America, ride early in the morning for 3 hours, stop rest lunch rest some more and then hit the road for another 3 hours maybe 40 to 60 miles speed average. witch is a good speed down there... and then look for a hotel / motel / a place to sleep... that's basically the idea, also try to hit interesting points and towns, on the weekends it's better to rest... and party ( may be... lol) well i don't drink but c'mon there may be few senoritas to meet.... 2

anyway so that's it, at soonest i hit south of the border my plan is no plan... no hurry and looking to absorb the most of the culture in every town... ride of a lifetime...

I also will be in Colombia for a little while...

I will be posting pictures of the bike and the mods and the luggage so ill keep you guys updated.

Fernando.

Dude, if you don't document this trip with words and about a trillion pics I wlll personally hunt you down and slap you silly.

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
JokerZwild
Kat Master

eBay ID: wetowbikes

oOKk WAIT!!!! Your going to the Tequillia Capitol of the world and the home of the most RIGHTEST SMOKE i've ever had the Honor or sampling and your going for the F*ck of it??? Do me a favor ...If you really want an adventure come stay with my kids for a few months and Wifey and I will go and actually enjoy all that S. America has to offer!!!

stop by the garage for a better look!
JokerZwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
TonyKZ1
Katrider

eBay ID: a636ccr

Sounds like you're going to have trip of a lifetime and the time of your life! Enjoy and keep us updated with your ride report, as much as you can anyhow.
Tony
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page
TonyKZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
ct3
Track Rider

sounds like hell of a time, be careful down there.
ct3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
TonyKZ1
Katrider

eBay ID: a636ccr

That's for sure, keep safe and be prepared for the unexpected, if that's possible? I'm currently reading Striking Viking's Two Wheels Through Terror book, about his travels through South America. He had some problems down there you could say, but was able to eventually finish his bike trip.
TonyKZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk