Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is the MSF bilking their Florida Clients?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the MSF bilking their Florida Clients?

Looking at some legislation, I stumbled across this Florida statute, which says MSF shall be reimbursed by the state for the course...

Florida Statutes Ch 322, Section 255 (see sub-sections 5, 6).

OK, now our local MSF courses charge anywhere from $130 in Pinellas to $240 in Hillsborough county... Am I missing something somewhere? Someone else have a clue on the inner workings of the MSF?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

HOOOOLY CRAP!! it's only 25 bucks in MI
    2005 Katana 600
    2005 GSX-R 600

Comment

(6) Each organization that provides an approved motorcycle safety course may charge a registration fee, not to exceed $20 per student. This fee must be refunded if the student completes the course. However, any student who registers for, and does not complete, the course must forfeit his or her registration fee. Forfeited fees may be retained by the organization that conducts the course.
      Someone is getting stuck hard. This is how it works in IL. At the end of the course, they hand out papers that ask if you want the money back. If you say yes, they send a check. If you say no, they keep it for the MSF fund. But to pay that much in FL. Glad I got my course here (not that I plan to move to FL anytime soon. Hate that heat).

EDIT: I just saw in section 5 that each organization can charge a tuition fee as well. That's where you're getting stuck. But unless the state isn't paying or only paying a few bucks per person, those numbers still seem high. I wonder what the numbers are? Cost per student and amount reimbursed per student by the state?
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

In PA, The MSF classes are paid for through the collection of fees for the "M" endorsement and the fees for obtaining a permit.

There is no cost for taking any of the MSF classes here, at a limit of one of each class per year.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

In Murfreesboro, TN is cost $195, just took it about a month ago, have not heard about a refund though, is there any way to find out more info about that?

Comment

as brooder said, it is essentialy free in IL. if you register online, they charge you 20$ to hold your reservation. You can request the 20$ back if you wish. If you just walk in (and are lucky enough to get a spot if someone was a no show) you dont pay anything. You can "donate" if you wish.
            I guess it depends on how much they are re-imbursing? the whole ammount? 50%? does it say?
            there are a couple private companies that run a course here. they charge about 300$ so if the MSF charges that and the state reimburses 50%, it would be right on target.
            Iowa charged me 65$ for the course, but that was 15 years ago.
            I love my Kat!!
            2000 burgandy 750

Comment

Here is VA the course costs $75.

It looks like the MSF charges the state/host organization a set fee. The state/host decides how much to charge the riders.

In the Florida statute section 5 states that the organization will be refunded based on the availability of funds. So depending on the county there can be different levels of reimbursement.

Comment

Ohio charges 25 bux for the BRC. I think the ERC is more, but I'll find that out next spring.
                None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                -Robert Morrison

"
                well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

$150 here in Louisville, Kentucky
                  My Every Move Is A Calculated Step............

*~*~*~*KNIGHTRIDERS*~*~*~*

Comment

It's $150 - $210 here in SoCal. I assumed that was to cover the cost of the bikes, any usage fee for the parking lot (course), course materials (Lisa got two workbooks), marketing materials (what little there is), diem for the instructors, and above all, insurance.
                    Ask GixerKat, our resident instructor down here, he'll give you the skinny.

But if it's because of insurance premiums, it's still a pretty cheap deal. Mark, the owner of Southland doesn't give test rides. Not because he doesn't want to, he thinks it sucks not to be able to ride before you buy, but he's a small shop and can't afford the premiums. Four times what he's paying now. His agent said don't even think about it, you can't afford it.

What's funny is he went through the same thing with his neighbor. He has a pool in his backyard and his kids were begging for a diving board. His neighbor installs pools so he thought he'd get a good deal from him. The guy said no way. He doesn't go near diving boards, the insurance would kill him.

Welcome to Cali.
                    sigpic

Comment

For Austin area:

$180 for the Basic Rider Course (BRC)
                      $75 for the Experienced Rider Course (ERC)
                      The BRC includes:

* motorcycle (and helmet if needed),
                      * confidence and improved riding skills,
                      * licensing test waiver with DPS,
                      * discounts from many insurance companies,
                      * discounts at local motorcycle dealerships, and
                      * possible ticket dismissal (ask for details).

Comment

$350.00 to over $400.00 in Toronto, Ontario Canada. I think you folks are getting a deal. But I am sure someone is going to remind me that we get free healthcare.
                        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                          But if it's because of insurance premiums, it's still a pretty cheap deal. Mark, the owner of Southland doesn't give test rides. Not because he doesn't want to, he thinks it sucks not to be able to ride before you buy, but he's a small shop and can't afford the premiums. Four times what he's paying now. His agent said don't even think about it, you can't afford it.
                          I'd suggest that he look into reselling temporary limited-span (1 day?) insurance in the same sense that rental car places do -- that way it wouldn't be "his" insurance covering the bikes, test rides are a possibility, and he can even get an additional revenue stream going (on the insurance sales). Just a suggestion. I know I'd be willing to pay an extra $100 in insurance for a day to test ride a bike that I thought I wanted to buy, just to be "sure". As it is, I normally go find an used version for sale to test ride before plunking the $$ down.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well Here are the cost for the 4 riders in my Family

My sister and her Husband Paid $300 + (Done thru the Local H-D Dealership) Cape Coral, FL (Lee County)

My Mom Paid $190 In Pinellas

I Paid $225 3 months later at the same location mom took hers.

Comment

Working...
                            X