X

alternator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator

Can someone please tell me where my alternator is on my 06 katana 600 i think its bad. Thanks

Just behind the cylinder head, right above the front sprocket.....I stole this from a member in another thread, but it's a good clear picture.

Comment

Looks like hell to get out lol, see every since i stop ridinig bike for winter I would go out to start it sometimes and be dead, so i jumped it and let it run but after took jumper cable off the bike died, so i fully charged bat but when it said complete i used volt meter and it said 11 volts of course im not sure how long it was complete for. But seems liek if jump it alt should keep it going?

Comment

Try getting a cheapo new batt, rule that out first. Anything under like 12.7 just wont start it, and the batt being that worn down? Probably time... easier, for sure! Never had to replace the kats alt yet, but cant imagine their real cheap.

Comment

Alternator is held in by 3 bolts. Very easy to remove if needed.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

If you check the battery terminals while the bike is running, and they still say 11 volts, it's a good bet the alt is shot.

If you tested the battery after charging and it said 11 volts with the bike off, you have a bad battery. If the battery is bad, the alternator may not be able to keep the bike running by itself. Sounds like you need a new battery first.

After you get a battery, start the bike and check the voltage at the terminals. If it's below 12VDC, you most likely need a new alternator.

Comment

FYI

A local guy rebuilt Batgirls for about $30
              He was a guy that rebuilt all starters and alternators
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Thats not bad

Comment

The alternator does not do anything at idle. If you start it and just let it sit there, the alternator isn't charging jack.

Comment

Well if alt doesnt do anything at idle how can i check if alt working after i get diff battery?

Comment

Originally posted by 06katride View Post
                      Well if alt doesnt do anything at idle how can i check if alt working after i get diff battery?

Check voltage with motor running at 3500 rpms. Should show 13-14.5v. If over 14.5 you got a problem. If under 12v... you got a problem.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
                        Thats not bad

I sent her to this guy because when I was in the automotive trade we used him to verifie "warranty claims"
                        All he does is rebuild starters , alternators generators

I think Gordo and I came to an agreement that it wasnt worth the hastle of trying to find a match for Batgirls bike since it is a GSXR swap motor and we were not sure on year etc

It was a great deal IMO

AS FOR original post
                        I would be looking a lot harder at the battery being shot in a 06 than the alternator
                        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                          AS FOR original post
                          I would be looking a lot harder at the battery being shot in a 06 than the alternator

Comment

My first thought, plus just sooo much simpler.... And if the batts good (I doubt) you get an extra, wich really comes in handy sometimes. And if those reasons dont work, always remember K.I.S.S!

Comment

Working...
                            X