Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Tricks to using headphones while riding?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never used earphones while riding. Instead I sing to myself.
    I'm pretty good too. :P The acoustics of the Shoei RF-900 are nice.
    Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

Originally posted by FrankTheTank
      I've never used earphones while riding. Instead I sing to myself.
      I'm pretty good too. :P The acoustics of the Shoei RF-900 are nice.
      +1
      "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

I had the same problem Bama, headphones kept falling off when I put the helmet on, so I found an old set of headphones and dimantled it down to the speakers and slipped it behind the ear sockets. There seems to be a small pocket behind the ear sections of some helmets. I tucked the wires inside the helmet and let the headphone socket stick out of one of the sides. It works quite good actually. If you are really interested in putting helmet speakers and are willing to spend a bit, google Helmet speakers or even check it on ebay, you might find something

Интернет-магазин 8shin.ru предлагает шины, диски, аккумуляторы с доставкой по Москве и области. В ассортименте
        2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

The new headphones that you can get that work with the ipod nano's might work well , they have a hook that basically sits around your hear and helps keep the phones in place very nicely.

Comment

I have the Koss ear buds as well, and have no problem with them falling outa my ears, or bein uncomfy.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

I may look into the Koss earbuds. My concern with putting the speakers in the helmet as CP's writeup suggest is that my ears stick out and make contact with the side of the ear pocket already (after a couple of hours with the helmet on the edges of my ears can get sore). So I'm worried if I add in the extra bulk of speakers there I'll be mashing my ears into them and get really sore ears.
              What the deuce!?!

Comment

Originally posted by bamarama
                I may look into the Koss earbuds. My concern with putting the speakers in the helmet as CP's writeup suggest is that my ears stick out and make contact with the side of the ear pocket already (after a couple of hours with the helmet on the edges of my ears can get sore). So I'm worried if I add in the extra bulk of speakers there I'll be mashing my ears into them and get really sore ears.
                Cut down the foam and/or polystyrene if needed to make your helmet clear your ears sufficiently to avoid getting sore. On the Nolan helmets I normally use, the ear opening is covered by a velcro'd piece of foam that can easily be replaced (in my case, with the speakers). Many helmets have some sort of pocket in the lining at this location (HJC comes to mind), sitting over polystyrene.

But if your helmet presses that hard against your ears that even without ear plugs/speakers/etc, your ears get sore, you need to either reform your helmet to your head or change helmet sizes/brands (to something that fits your head's shape better). If you impact on the side of your head, the last thing you want is the pressure to be transmitted directly into your ear -- it should transmit to the bone structure around your ear instead.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Those earbuds that wrap around the ear will get in the way of glasses in a BIG way . They'll also hurt after a while under that helmet , too .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    Those earbuds that wrap around the ear will get in the way of glasses in a BIG way . They'll also hurt after a while under that helmet , too .
                    +1 on that. I tried the wrap over the ear types before i went to Koss Ear buds. Night and day difference. With the Koss, my ears never get sore. They also cut down on wind noise a lot when I have the music off.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I use these...they're noise reducing in a way - almost an earplug and bud in one...

FrankenKat 1216
                      GS Fiter 816
                      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone know of some earbuds like the ones above that also have a mic? I'm looking for a headset to hook up to a VOX 2-way radio, but in stereo (as in, 2 ear pieces - not just 1).
                        "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

I use the sony earbuds that are similar to those koss ones above. They cost me $20 at best buy I think...

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                            Not to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone know of some earbuds like the ones above that also have a mic? I'm looking for a headset to hook up to a VOX 2-way radio, but in stereo (as in, 2 ear pieces - not just 1).
                            Teh_K, does your VOX have a separate jack for the mic? or is it integrated with the stereo plug?
                            "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
                            - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Comment

I have the Koss buds as well, but I can't get the amount of isolation that I'm looking for. I've changed the foam buds with modified ear plugs, which works.... until I pull my helmet on and the darn things get pulled out.... damn ears...

I think I'm going to try something like this

I would do the excellent setup that CP recommends, but I was looking for something a little more portable if I ever decide to change helmets. I figure with a set of these, an headphone amplifier and some earplugs, I should get what I am looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by ngilbert
                                I would do the excellent setup that CP recommends, but I was looking for something a little more portable if I ever decide to change helmets. I figure with a set of these, an headphone amplifier and some earplugs, I should get what I am looking for.
                                At $18 or some such for the headset I use at Target, I figure it's cheap enough to build into all of my helmets (well, except for the one with the Chatterbox).

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X