No announcement yet.
X

Think someone maybe stealing my gas.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personally, I kinda doubt someone is stealing your gas. there are easier ways to steal gas than from a bike. even if they get the hose off the petcock, it's slow draining.

I am with krey on this...you probably have a crankcase full of gas, which you should check asap, and not "later"......at least not if you are running it. you might want to check your breather as well.

not sure about the 600 and 750 kats because I am not familiar with the petcocks (1100's won't drain the tank when bike is not running), but if your fuel will flow in the on position, and you have a stuck float, it can and will drain into the engine, or maybe breather. like I said...not familiar with the 600 and 750's...bit on some bikes this can happen. that could explain why it didn't do it at your gf's place....the float just didn't stick while it was there.
    Last edited by Mojoe; 05-26-2012, 06:39 PM.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yeah I am going to look into that but why has it still not went down when I keep it locked up at my house? I let it sit locked up at my place and the gas needle has stayed in the same spot. So here is the order of events.

1. When left outside the gas gauge goes down and its in the on position.
      2. When at my gfs moms house the gauge does not move at all and its in the on position.
      3. When locked up at my house the gauge also stays the same and is also in the on position.

So, to me the only time the gauge goes down is when I leave it outside unsecured. I will look into what you guys have said when I have the time I usually have my truck but its in the shop so I will have to wait cause I can not go with out a ride. The only reason I ever leave it out is cause its so late or early and I don't want to put it on the porch. Lazy on my half I know and another thing is the pipes are still hot and I don't want to burn my bike cover. Either or I will look into what has been said until then my bike will always be under lock and key at my house till I get a security camera installed. Thanks for all the input guys.
      1996 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
        personally, I kinda doubt someone is stealing your gas. there are easier ways to steal gas than from a bike. even if they get the hose off the petcock, it's slow draining.

I am with krey on this...you probably have a crankcase full of gas, which you should check asap, and not "later"......at least not if you are running it. you might want to check your breather as well.

not sure about the 600 and 750 kats because I am not familiar with the petcocks (1100's won't drain the tank when bike is not running), but if your fuel will flow in the on position, and you have a stuck float, it can and will drain into the engine, or maybe breather. like I said...not familiar with the 600 and 750's...bit on some bikes this can happen. that could explain why it didn't do it at your gf's place....the float just didn't stick while it was there.
        if the petcock is functioning correctly the only time gas will flow in the on position is if the bike is running other than that only prime will free flow
        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
        Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
        confused katana build

Comment

It's worth locking the bike up on the porch just on general principles. It's way too easy for someone to just throw the bike in a truck and take off with it, never mind minor stuff like stealing gas. You'll own the bike a lot longer if you take the time to store it every night.

What doesn't make sense to me is why someone would go to the trouble of reconnecting your fuel line and putting the screws back into your fairing if they were stealing gas. More likely they'd jimmy the gas cap but even then it'd be pretty unusual for them to close it again afterwards. It seems far more likely to me that you've either got fuel leaking past the petcock and a stuck float valve or that you've got a sticky gas gauge which is giving a falsely high reading when you shut the bike off for the night and then gives a more accurate reading in the morning.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Have you looked at the oil yet ? Thats the very first thing you need to do as others said . I had the metal man steal my gas a whole tank , on trash nite and left the drain plun right under my truck ,he got every drop , i fiberglassed the plug over looks OEM now ... I got a DRIVEWAY PATROL at Amazon for $12 and trun it on at nite . If someone crosses the line i get up and look ,not like a cam were the cops say O WELL we dont know that guy .

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              It's worth locking the bike up on the porch just on general principles. It's way too easy for someone to just throw the bike in a truck and take off with it, never mind minor stuff like stealing gas. You'll own the bike a lot longer if you take the time to store it every night.

What doesn't make sense to me is why someone would go to the trouble of reconnecting your fuel line and putting the screws back into your fairing if they were stealing gas. More likely they'd jimmy the gas cap but even then it'd be pretty unusual for them to close it again afterwards. It seems far more likely to me that you've either got fuel leaking past the petcock and a stuck float valve or that you've got a sticky gas gauge which is giving a falsely high reading when you shut the bike off for the night and then gives a more accurate reading in the morning.
              I was contemplating install a very large eye bolt into my driveway and chaining the bike to that.. but if someone is going to steal my motorcycle out of my driveway... they can steal my suv or any number of things worth more money too... Plus I have insurance for that

Comment

They can't toss an SUV into the bed of a pickup truck. Check this out:
                motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The guy who made them is our own CyberPoet (RIP) so I don't know if those specific ones are still available but there's other similar products out there.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

No one is stealing your gas, it's all in your crankcase.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'm with Krey and the rest of the guys. I thought I had thief when my gas gauge started to "act up" but after a quick oil change (nearly 9 quarts of fluid) I realized I had a broke petcock. Had petcock and fuel lines replaced, carbs rebuilt, and synced, and crank case flushed, now no problems. But definitely look into better security for ur bike, just cuz u think ur bike is safe doesn't mean it is.

Comment

Seems like a lot of work to steal a very small quantity of fuel, I going with malfunctioning petcock.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X