X

brake pad holding pins stuck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake pad holding pins stuck

have a 2000 gsx600, already rebuilt the two front calipers and bled them properly.
    now on to the back brake! however i've ran into a small hiccup. the little pins that hold the brake pads in the caliper wont budge...
    i've let the pins "soak" in PB blaster for about a couple hours and still no movement. in an effort to try and move them, i've clamped some small vice grips on the pins and tapped the grips with a hammer hoping the jolts would break it loose. no luck

heres a couple pics of the pins i'm talking about in case theres any confusion
    (sorry for the blue-ish haze on the pics... my camera/phone jumped outa my pocket at 65mph... im just glad it still works )

sigpic
    2000 Suzuki 600 Kat - Blue Fury V1.0
    2006 Kawasaki 636 - Blue Fury V2.0
    2011 Dodge Charger RT - Lexi

mole grips have never failed me before, only once have i needed to drill them out, drill a small hole on the opposite side that the would normal come out of then just use a punch to knock them out.

Comment

detaching the calipers from each other will give you a better hold
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Simon UK View Post
        mole grips have never failed me before, only once have i needed to drill them out, drill a small hole on the opposite side that the would normal come out of then just use a punch to knock them out.
        any type of drilling is something of a last resort in my opinion, but i fear im coming closer and closer to that inevitability...

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
        detaching the calipers from each other will give you a better hold
        that sounds like a good plan, there aren't any other steps to do before i take them apart is there?
        sigpic

Comment

no
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

ok cool, wish me luck!
            sigpic

Comment

alright, i was able to take the caliper apart from itself, got the old pads off, and then decided to clean out the caliper.

bolted it back together and powered on my tiny little 115psi air compressor. with the hose attached to where the fluid screw is sposed to go, i let loose the full fury of 115psi.
              didnt do crap. one piston came out up against i wrench i put in the caliper to prevent one piston from coming out before the other.
              one came out, but the other is stuck in there pretty good. thoughts?
              sigpic

Comment

try pushing the piston in a little then try again, make sure the bleed screw is opened a couple of turns. youre doing it the right way with the air compressor. and it shouldnt be stuck that bad.

Ive had good experience with even small hand pressure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzqMsOe2d3I"]How to get out caliper piston - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3U5l15RxFE"]How to get out caliper piston part 2 - YouTube[/ame]
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

those pistons are pretty pitted out. broke down and bought a used caliper in better nik from a wrecked 2006 Kat.
                  works like a charm
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X