Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

2000 katana for $120, what could go wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
    1.) Parts are cheap, because its an old bike. If you think you're going to make money parting it out, enjoy sitting on all the parts no one wants for a LONG time...especially since its a 600.
    If you can't sell off enough parts to cover $120, then you're doing something wrong.

As may threads as I've seen with oil pans being replaced, hell, I had to replace mine when I bough my Kat...
    Wheels, unless they're clean, get them powdercoated, and sell them. Plenty of pre people looking for wheels to run decent sized tires. At this point, you should be in the black, everything else is profit.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Good Luck with your find and have some fun........
      sigpic
      98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
      Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
        If you can't sell off enough parts to cover $120, then you're doing something wrong.
        I was referring more to the crap no one wants, frame swingarm 600 engine etc etc...

Then again, for me personally my time is worth a lot more than my money.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

ok i got to talk to my friend again and he confirmed a few things for me.

he said that:
          -gas leaks into the oil chamber (what does this mean?)
          -needs a seal between the transmission and the block, but everything is operable otherwise
          -a few other things, battery is dead, gas hasnt been replaced, etc etc.
          -been sitting around 3 years

You guys think that would be a fix I could perform? I've been skimming through the manual, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed. I feel like i'm learning about some strange alien technology in comparison to my Mustang and truck that I normally work on.

also. How will the titling work? this is my first time buying a used vehicle from a person, not a dealer, so I'm confused.. I have no motorcycle license, so i figure i wont be able to register it to myself. so What do I need to do? I went on the dmv website but couldnt find any info on my somewhat specific circumstance..

Sorry for all my questions, I just want this to go as smooth as possible. You guys rock.

Comment

-gas leaks into the oil chamber (what does this mean?)

it means the float in one of your carb bowls is sticking and remaining open allowing that carb to over fill with gas and the excess gas then drips into the cylinder. Which means your oil is going to be contaminated with gas, definately going to have to change it.

-a few other things, battery is dead, gas hasnt been replaced, etc etc.
            -been sitting around 3 years

Since it has been sitting for 3 years you are probably going to have rust in your tank and the carbs need to be dissambled, cleaned, and reassembled.

it might not hurt to purchase a carb rebuild kit.

Comment

Then again, for me personally my time is worth a lot more than my money.
              Truth there, that's the reason I'm still sitting on my Kat. Hard to find time to get it back road worthy while it's prime riding weather.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

how much will the replacement tank run me? assuming there is no way to fix the rust that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor1148 View Post
                  also. How will the titling work? this is my first time buying a used vehicle from a person, not a dealer, so I'm confused.. I have no motorcycle license, so i figure i wont be able to register it to myself. so What do I need to do? I went on the dmv website but couldnt find any info on my somewhat specific circumstance..
                  Each state is different, but in VA, you can change the title over no problem. On the back of our titles are a few lines to fill out, get the seller's signature, and the your signature, then you take a trip to the DMV. It also helps to have a bill of sale, I've had several times where the DMV didn't want to believe what I payed for a vehicle, but they settled down with a bill of sale with the same signatures on it. Now that I think about it, I've bought vehicles from PA, VA, CT, NC, and MD, and they have all had something similar, the only one I remember being different, was the NC title needed a notary public's signature.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    Each state is different, but in VA, you can change the title over no problem. On the back of our titles are a few lines to fill out, get the seller's signature, and the your signature, then you take a trip to the DMV. It also helps to have a bill of sale, I've had several times where the DMV didn't want to believe what I payed for a vehicle, but they settled down with a bill of sale with the same signatures on it. Now that I think about it, I've bought vehicles from PA, VA, CT, NC, and MD, and they have all had something similar, the only one I remember being different, was the NC title needed a notary public's signature.

Sorry for the complete noobiness, dealers have had me spoiled when it comes to the intricacies of purchasing a used vehicle..

but what would be the bill of sale in this case? Do we just have to write out a written agreement and both sign it or what?

Comment

Put the year, make, model, VIN, price, date, etc. I'm sure there are templates you can download or just print. Google away.................

Comment

Ive never had a bill of sale for a bike, thats what the titles for and thats why you get it notarized...
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

here i didnt even need a title for mine, bill of sale and vin check was all, but always get a bill of sale on any private purchase regardless of needing it or not, might solve a headache or two down the road
                          never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                          Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                          confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by Conor1148 View Post
                            Sorry for the complete noobiness, dealers have had me spoiled when it comes to the intricacies of purchasing a used vehicle..

but what would be the bill of sale in this case? Do we just have to write out a written agreement and both sign it or what?

Simply... you and your friend take the title the DMV... the nice lady (or guy) at the counter will take care of everything for you. You sign, you pay, you leave with the expectations the title will arrive in the mail in about 3-6 weeks, probably get it in under 10 days. Don't have to tag it, to get it titled in your name. You can come back later for the tag.

As for what it takes to get it running...

You need to pull the carbs off and clean them fully. This will fix 95% of the problems for the bike not running.

After the carbs are cleaned, you change the oil, put in a new battery, fresh gas in a clean gas tank, and make sure you have all the vacuum lines hooked up right and have the airbox (with OEM type filter) on it and connected.

Start the bike... sync the carbs... start planning the make pretty stuff you want to do now with your ugly running bike.

As for over whelmed feeling... break it down, simplify the projects. Look at them each as seperate individual things to do, not as "a whole lot of things to do". (1 clean carbs, 2 clean gas tank, 3 fix oil leak, ect...) As you start marking them off completed, you realize it's not that over whelming after all.

Por-15 is the kit you want for cleaning the gas tank IF it's rusted up. Look inside first. No rust, I'd just flush and go for now till it's running. You can look at the coating later if wanted.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ive never had a bill of sale for a bike, thats what the titles for and thats why you get it notarized...
                              Ours don't need to be notarized, the bill of sale always comes in handy. VA-DMV has one handy on their website. Again, rules and regs vary by state. Best to look up purchasing a vehicle on your states web site.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet

Comment

Alrighty! thanks for all the help so far.

I go to pick it up tomorrow after work, the excitement has really kicked in today! I'll be sure to have plenty of pics for you all when I get back!

Comment

Working...
                                X