X

Myrtle Beach Bike Week

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myrtle Beach Bike Week

So I literally just walked in the door from bike week, and wanted to get online. My brother has been "borrowing" my digital camera for a while, so I bought a disposable one down there... dropped it off at the store - I will try to figure out how to get some pictures online afterwards.

I had thought about going since last weekend. I didnt see any talk about it on here, and the forecast was rain all week (around Washington DC where I'm from), and rain down in SC also. So I figured it wouldnt happen. Anyways, Tuesday when I got home from work (2pm), it was sunny out and I just couldnt help it. Called a buddy to cover for me, hopped on the bike, and left. About a 500 mile ride... Stopped every 100 miles or so to gas up, walk around a few minutes. A nice dinner around sunset.

As I got closer and closer, started seeing more and more bikes. Got into town, and bikes accounted for maybe 70% of traffic. Harleys accounted for at least that of the bikes... Anyways, everyone was really friendly. Only been riding two years, have heard stories of bike weeks and Harley clubs, but everyone was good hearted. Some rough sarcasm seems to break the ice.

It was tough finding a cheap room by the boardwalk... kind of had the feeling the managers didnt want to rent to bikes (as there WAS vacancy, but no bikes in the lots...) but then you would come across some that were overrun with bikes... so I could understand if that is their choice. All the same, maybe I was just reading into it.

Spent Wed and Thurs crusing around. Made friends with some Harley riders at the motel I found, so spent all Wed cruising backroads of SC with them. Thursday spent solo... although I did stop off at some diner where I saw a yellow/black KAT. Some younger woman who loved the bike. Only been riding this season. Told her about the forum, we'll see if she joins!

Some bad rain storms throughout, but that kind of made it more enjoyable. Bikes piled up under bridges, at gas stations, wherever there was cover. And of course all Harleys, and then I'd come in with my helmet, jacket and KAT (no helmets required over age 20 in SC). Sure I stuck out and attracted some jokes, but a joke right back and then it was copacetic.

Some things I wish I had thought about... saddlebags. My longest rides before have been 3-4 hour days with one overnight. A backpack worked out great. Strapping a stuffed backpack and bike cover under a cargo net kept pushing into my back, and was tough to get weighted centered. Gloves... my gloves were clearly not waterproof, so I took them off when soaked... but then my hands got sunburned... go figure. A few times I rode through heavy rain, absolutely soaking my jeans and jacket. My jacket is waterproof, but well, everyone hates wet jeans. I found as soon as the rain passed though, riding around 70-80 with my knees out dried them pretty quickly!

Anyways, I just really enjoyed the experience, thought I'd share whatever with you guys. I'll see what I can do with the pics. This one shot at a gas station was pretty typical of everywhere. As if you cant spot a kat... its the only positioned front on as opposed to sideways (only way I could get it under the station's roof...)
    Attached Files

Man it has been raining down here forever thankfully, after that drought we've been having. Sometimes the rain seemed to come up from the ground. Looks like it was fun though, been meaning to get back to Myrtle
    "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
    Chris
    graphic designer | drummer
    2002 Katana 600
    Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

I heard that the local government shut all the bike weeks down.
      I was told by a dude that lives there that they have a noise ordinance and you must wear a helmet. Maybe those rules apply only on the strip next to the water ?
      But yeah, I know it gets crazy down there. I went to "Black bike week" a few years ago and seen hundreds of bikes. Me and my few friends were the only white dudes in the crowd. Needless to say we stuck out like a sore thumb
      Anyway, everybody was cool with us and 90% of the bikes were sport bikes.
      When we got back home someone told us that they seen us on the Black Bike Week website.
      We checked the internet and sure enouph someone took a picture of me and my buddy stuck in traffic.
      Last edited by katanarider; 05-18-2012, 02:16 PM.
      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
        I heard that the local government shut all the bike weeks down.
        I was told by a dude that lives there that they have a noise ordinance and you must wear a helmet. Maybe those rules apply only on the strip next to the water ?
        But yeah, I know it gets crazy down there. I went to "Black bike week" a few years ago and seen hundreds of bikes. Me and my few friends were the only white dudes in the crowd. Needless to say we stuck out like a sore thumb
        Anyway, everybody was cool with us and 90% of the bikes were sport bikes.
        When we got back home someone told us that they seen us on the Black Bike Week website.
        We checked the internet and sure enouph someone took a picture of me and my buddy stuck in traffic.
        You should be flattered lol It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be! The deal is it's supposed to be a Harley/cruiser week and a Sportbike week...Most (white) people are scared/intimidated merely bc of color and can't enjoy anything for paranoia and stereotypes. Plenty of black people ride cruisers too but Sportbikes are where it's at! Speaking of which, it's coming up next weekend!!! Wish I could go

Oh and those helmet and noise ordinace laws were repealed bc the city laws were conflicting with the state laws and they were deemed unconstitutional by the state bc they have more power lol heres some info http://www.blackbikeweek.us/
        Last edited by stretched600; 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I checked the website.
          At the very top it says " No noise ordinace or helmet laws". They must have come to their senses and realized they lose a lot of money that way.
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
            I checked the website.
            At the very top it says " No noise ordinace or helmet laws". They must have come to their senses and realized they lose a lot of money that way.

Comment

yah. but then you come in from another state with your helmet... I was hoping for helmet lockers somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by latenight View Post
                I was hoping for helmet lockers somewhere!
                If you're riding a Kat, there's 2 under the driver's seat!

Comment

Originally posted by stretched600 View Post
                  If you're riding a Kat, there's 2 under the driver's seat!
                  There's a helmet lock under my seat? Or is this just for Pre Kat's? Mine has a stupid a$$ lock thing attached to the bar right behind the passenger peg. It's the worst place in the world for one and makes getting the helmet on there all but impossible. You have to get the helmet around the foot peg, then try and jam the key in there somehow. I fell like I'm playing twister with the bike every time I try to use the stupid thing.

If you tell me there is indeed one under the seat, I'm going to fell like a complete moron.

Comment

Sorry I'm not sure the about the post but sure on a pre

Comment

there is one under the seat on Post kate as well. just a thin little hook off the frame on the left side that you hook your D rings on. Fairings have a little notch for the strap to sit it. Lock the seat down and it is locked on.

Comment

I have a hook on each side, so two like you said!
                        But I dont know about riding with the helmet attached there. If I'm picking a friend up, I attach my second helmet using a cargo net on the back seat!

Comment

Wow, I'm a complete idiot. All this time I was annoyed with the one by the passenger foot peg and didn't even think to look under the seat. Especially after seeing my buddy's GSXR 1000 has two under the rear seat.

Comment

Originally posted by latenight View Post
                            I have a hook on each side, so two like you said!
                            But I dont know about riding with the helmet attached there.
                            Mine never bothered me. It sat right behind my leg outta the way. They put it in the right spot

Comment

been riding with passenger helmet on hook. you are right! works great, just out of the way!

Comment

Working...
                              X