X

I crashed my Katana on my birthday

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
    I live in Tampa and ride in perforated leather. As long as you're moving at all, it's no less bearable even mid-summer than mesh.
    That's cool...I'll definitely look into that. What make and model do you have?
    sigpic
    John - AKA: Negster
    2005 Katana 600

Comment

I'm glad you're okay. It sounds as though you got shaken up pretty bad and so did those that care about you. (The shutterfly comment reads, "We want to thank the family and friends that have been praying for him.") But any day you can recount the story about your accident is a good day.

I wish I could learn more from this story about what led up to this accident. Single-bike accidents usually happen as a result of a mistake in rider judgement. Entering a turn to fast. Turning in too late. Overrunning your headlights.

Can you comment on the conditions at the time of the accident? I know this can be painful but as a new rider I would like to understand what led to the accident. Did it happen after dark? Was the street lighting especially bad so that shadows were cast? Were there any road work signs or markers from the "re-pavements"? What was your speed when you crossed the intersection?

Please understand, I'm not interested in finding fault. (I've made plenty of questionable judgement calls.) I'd just like to learn from your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Negster
        I live in Tampa and ride in perforated leather. As long as you're moving at all, it's no less bearable even mid-summer than mesh.
        Kitkat has an awesome set for sale... the jacket is perforated and comes with the matching pants....check 'em out

Comment

Originally posted by Cale_Kat
          I'm glad you're okay. It sounds as though you got shaken up pretty bad and so did those that care about you. (The shutterfly comment reads, "We want to thank the family and friends that have been praying for him.") But any day you can recount the story about your accident is a good day.

I wish I could learn more from this story about what led up to this accident. Single-bike accidents usually happen as a result of a mistake in rider judgement. Entering a turn to fast. Turning in too late. Overrunning your headlights.

Can you comment on the conditions at the time of the accident? I know this can be painful but as a new rider I would like to understand what led to the accident. Did it happen after dark? Was the street lighting especially bad so that shadows were cast? Were there any road work signs or markers from the "re-pavements"? What was your speed when you crossed the intersection?

Please understand, I'm not interested in finding fault. (I've made plenty of questionable judgement calls.) I'd just like to learn from your experience.
          Hello Cale...

Actually, all those that were with me that night were shaken up. The 4 bikes in front felt bad because they are the ones that always run fast. The one behind me (father and daughter riding two-up) that got caught at the light felt bad because I was looking out for them by pulling over to wait for them. And of course family and friends called all day on Thursday (the following day). Both cell phones and the house phone had to be put on chargers a couple of times due to the batteries running low due to the high volume of calls. It's nice to be loved

This accident was definitely a mistake of rider judgment. I blame nobody but ME for what happened. Let me tell you some more details (as I could remember of course...it all happened so fast)...

It was about 10:45 PM when we left Krispy Kreme Donuts. We were traveling on a well-lit road. I think I went through the intersection at about 45 mph when I realized that my buddy stopped for the light ( I think the speed limit is 40 or 45 in that area). I looked back then looked forward to see where the others were. The rest of the group was pretty far ahead of us and were probably doing about 60 mph. I then decided to pull off to the side of the road as I've always done in the past when someone gets left behind. I began to slow down and was pulling off towards the curb to wait. As I approached the curb, still doing about 35 mph, I looked and realized that the gutter area was lower than the surface of the road. This is where I failed to get out of the situation. People always tell you not to stare at what you don't want to hit because you will hit it. I should have looked away and accelerated to get out of the situation. Instead, I looked at the problem and tried to figure how to get out of it...too late. I dropped into the gutter area and because the roadway was higher than the gutter, the front tire bounced back and forth before I totally wiped out. My buddy at the light said that I held the bike up for a short distance before loosing it.

There were no signs of the re-pavement since the work was already done. They just did not even out the area near the gutter.

My advice...stay in the roadway and away from the gutter and curb...

Unfortunately, one of the ladies that was in front of the group decided that she no longer wants to ride. Her husband is almost convinced that he will sell his bike because he cannot control himself when he rides (he likes to push the bike to its limits).

Fortunately, the other two got a rude awakening about wearing helmets because they don't like to wear them (so that's a good thing). After seeing what could have happened to my face had I not been wearing a helmet, I think they will not ride again without one.

I hope this helps you and I pray that nobody else will make the same mistake that I made. It's good to learn from other people's mistakes.

Ride safe!
          sigpic
          2005 Katana 600

Comment

John,

I'm not a lawyer, but you may have a case to have your bike and medical bills covered by the local municipality. If the area wasn't properly marked and was hazardous to drivers, clearly it was hazardous to you, then there is the basis for a lawsuit.

I'm not advocating that people use lawyers to solve every conceivable problem in their lives but when the city municipal road department does something that undermines the public trust we place in them to provide safe roadways, then I think they should be held accountable.

Consider talking with a lawyer and watch what you post. These forums are fair game for either party in a lawsuit and can be used to make the case against your complaint. Those not familiar with dispositions, a standard line of questioning would be, "Do you participate in any online forums? What forums? What name do you use?"

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Cale

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
              I would invest in a better helmet. Vegas are ok but no the best. Your jacket is the reason why I got rid of my Mesh one. JR mesh jackets do not hold up very well. Do yourself a favor and buy a leather jacket of a Leather/mesh combo. I would buy a First Gear or Teknic or Frank Thomas. The mesh on all those jackets are woven closer and still provide the air flow.

Glad you only came out with the collar bone broken. With that hit on the head you may have gotten a slight concussion. Heal up and get back out there.
              Look at all you Vega haters ..havent you read the Motorcyclist helmet writeup ..I know you have ..Im telling ya, If you go down square on the top part of your helmet, its gonna push against you as it absorbs the force of the blow and even with good padding and could leave a bruise. Now if his padding was worn out, then that's a different story altogether of course.

Also like Cale said, I would consider speaking to a lawyer just to see if you have a case or not. Most of them give free consultations and if the local government has not marked the roads properly with signs, lines, warning lights, etc. You could have a case to atleast get your bike fixed so its worth checking into.

+1 on the leather jacket or atleast a leather/mesh combo. The JR Mesh is a good jacket but mesh in general is usually only good for spill and then its done..and depending on the severity of it u can end up w/ some bad rash. Wearing the liner with it will help it some too.

Comment

I have the Dainese Zag Pelle Perfed Leather jacket ....schweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Negster
                  I have a Joe Rocket (JR) Sonic Perforated that I don't wear any more (my midsection outgrew it by a size) and a JR Blaster Perforated a size larger that I replaced it with. I should have taken the sonic again in a size larger instead (there are features of the sonic that are superior, such as the wrist closures and zip-in cold-weather liner, that aren't found on the Blaster perforated -- although the Blaster looks more bling because the sonic is solid black). Shoot me a PM with your chest size and if the Sonic fits, I'll trade it for a dinner or something.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by katana_ron
                    You are truly lucky you had that helmet on.
                    Originally posted by Junior
                    I completely agree, he was lucky to be wearing the helmet.
                    Why would luck have anything to do with it? Isn't helmet-wearing just a non-negotiable part of riding? Are there any rationally defensible reasons anyone would ride a motorcycle without a helmet?

Luck applies in this situation to his unprotected bottom half. Wearing only jeans (no overpants), it was purely chance he didn't slide and lose some skin, or whack a kneecap on something.

All that sounds pretty harsh, but actually I'm sympathetic to your plight, and I hope you heal up well and quickly.

Originally posted by Cale_Kat
                    Actually, turning in too late leads to a late apex, which is almost always a good thing - slower lap times but better visibility through the turn and more space on the turn exit. Turning in too early leads to an early apex, which leads to running out of road at the exit.

Comment

Actually, turning in too late leads to a late apex, which is almost always a good thing - slower lap times but better visibility through the turn and more space on the turn exit. Turning in too early leads to an early apex, which leads to running out of road at the exit

Have to be careful to about diving into a corner too late at times too..because Mr and Mrs Tourist in their station wagon can come across the line in the mid turn and clip you in a heartbeat. Each corner is different depending on the visibility of what is on the other side.

But yes I agree that diving into a corner late and swooping around is a good general way to do it.

Comment

I've gotten some really bad birthday presents before, but this one would beat them all...LOL

I'm glad your going to be okay...

Your bike doesn't look too bad either...

Wishing you the best, Take care... 8)

Comment

Originally posted by bobs
                          Originally posted by katana_ron
                          You are truly lucky you had that helmet on.
                          Originally posted by Junior
                          I completely agree, he was lucky to be wearing the helmet.
                          Why would luck have anything to do with it? Isn't helmet-wearing just a non-negotiable part of riding?
                          I just meant that a $50 Vega helmet was better than NO helmet....but I believe that he is in an area where it is NOT mandatory to wear a helmet while riding....so good for him for having the sense to wear something, especially since some of his riding buddies have the tendancy to NOT wear a helmet.

Comment

Duuuuuuudddddeeeee!That Sucks the big one...Glad your ok. You can still work on the girl with one functioning arm though,good luck dude.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident, Hope you still had fun on your Birthday!!!!!

Comment

Thanks! It's been almost 4 weeks now since I crashed. I'm healing ok. I see the orthopedic on Monday (5/1/06) to take x-rays again to make sure that the bone pieces are healing ok.

I also started working on repairing my bike. I sanded down the road rash and the next thing is to fill in the gouges in the rash that was not able to be sanded down smoothly.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
                                sigpic
                                2005 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X