some questions...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some questions...

Hi guys
    I buy my gsx6700f last week, 9000 km, year 2000, really good conditions, and I have some questions:
    - Is it normal when you ride at 2000-2500 rpm in 5/6 gear that the engine is not so smooth (on/off sensation.....)?
    -There is no temp gauge, so how is better to proceed to warm up the bike? How many rpm for the first km?
    -Is good for you to use products to add to gasoline to clean the carbs?
    - How is it better to use choke in cold starts? Cold starts are not so easy....

Excuse me for not perfect language
    thanks to all
    stef from italy

In my short tour here at KatRiders, and short time riding my Kat, 2000-2500 RPMs is more for first or second gear not 5th or 6th. So it would be normal for it to do that. You have to match road speed with your RPMs.
    To warm it up I just open the choke and let it run for a littel bit. you can tell when shes ready, the Idel goes way up.
    I will leave the carb question for someone else with that expertise.
    I know if I have miss lead you in any way the crew here will get us straight.
    http://www.geocities.com/kissarmymc/
    bikerfriend.org You get cool stickers for your cage

Comment

Welcome!

Some additive have been discussed for "cleaning" carbs.
      I think of them more as keeping the carbs clean.
      I don't think they can get rid of deposits that have built up.

About choke use:
      30 seconds max. Use it to start if you need to
      but never ride with it on and blip the throttle
      to keep it running anytime after start.

I rarely use the choke for more that a few seconds even in cold weather.

As USCGC said you wil know when it is warmed up.
      If it will idle it is warm. In cooler weather mine
      still doesn't run 100% smooth for a few miles.

Comment

2000-2500 RPMS is to close to idle speed step it up and it will run alot smoother..You should be around at least 7 to 8 grand to feel what the Kat can do in 5th and 6th.....

Comment

I generally ride between 5-7K so it's not unusual for me to be doing 50MPH in 4th. I usually don't shift into 6th until I'm up to at least 65MPH. Don't know if that's the correct way to ride or not, but it's the most comfortable for me - and the bike feels happy to do it.
          ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Re: some questions...

Originally posted by stefmar
            - Is it normal when you ride at 2000-2500 rpm in 5/6 gear that the engine is not so smooth (on/off sensation.....)?
            As everyone said, you should not ride in 5th & 6th gear at 2000-2500 RPM. Ride in a lower gear, shift at 4500 or higher.

-There is no temp gauge, so how is better to proceed to warm up the bike? How many rpm for the first km?
            10km or 10 minutes is usually about right if the weather is 15 degrees C or higher. I sell oil temp gauges for the Katanas if you want one.

-Is good for you to use products to add to gasoline to clean the carbs?
            Maybe once every 3 to 6 months. I do it as the last complete gas tank I will use before an oil change, and if the bike was parked over the winter, the first tank after that.
            Before you park for the winter, put some fuel stabilizer in it (your local motorcycle dealer will know what to use in Italy, because the brands are not the same as here).

- How is it better to use choke in cold starts? Cold starts are not so easy....
            How cold is the motorcycle? 10 degree C, 15, 20?
            Use as much choke as you need to get 2000 RPM. Turn it down when it goes higher. After 30 seconds, turn off choke and use gas (throttle) to keep it going if needed.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              After 30 seconds, turn off choke and use gas (throttle) to keep it going if needed.
              Why is this ? I wasn't aware of this at all.
              Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi guys
                I buy my gsx6700f last week.
                What is a gsx6700f?

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  After 30 seconds, turn off choke and use gas (throttle) to keep it going if needed.
                  Originally posted by hellcamp
                  Why is this ? I wasn't aware of this at all.
                  Because the choke is actually an enricher circuit (not an choke, which would restrict airflow). As a result, while running on choke, you are dumping in extra fuel, which loads the plugs up with fouling. This fouling will burn off when the plugs get to full operating temp in about 8 to 15 minutes, but if you keep loading them up, you may foul them before you get there (in which case the bike won't want to run).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CP that is totally new info for me. My owner's manual doesn't say anything about restricting the time for choke usage. It just says in cold weather start with choke, and adjust choke so that bike idles at 3000 rpm. I've been leaving the choke on each morning for about 1-2 mins (while i walk from front door to back porch). Hope that hasn't ruined anything yet. Been one month since I've had the bike.
                    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
                      Thanks CP that is totally new info for me. My owner's manual doesn't say anything about restricting the time for choke usage. It just says in cold weather start with choke, and adjust choke so that bike idles at 3000 rpm. I've been leaving the choke on each morning for about 1-2 mins (while i walk from front door to back porch). Hope that hasn't ruined anything yet. Been one month since I've had the bike.
                      While I doubt it has done anything (as long as the plugs came up to temp and had a chance to burn it off), you never know which day will be the day that they suddenly have too much fouling to run right... I went back to the manual to make sure I was 100% on target -- and here's what it says on page 34 of my owner's manual (left collumn, 3/4 way down the page):
                      Engine Cold:
                      1. Turn the choke lever all the way toward you. Close the throttle completely.
                      2. Push the electric starter button.
                      3. Immediately after the engien starts, keep the engine speed at 2000 r/min by varying the choke lever position.
                      4. Move the choke lever to the "OFF" position approximately 30 seconds after engine starts. It may be necessary to use the choke longer than 30 seconds in extremely cold weather*.

Engine Warm:
                      Use of the choke should not be necessary. Open the throttle 1/8th to 1/4 turn and push the electric starter button.

* - I beleive Suzuki's idea of "extremely cold weather" is taken to mean close to or below freezing, IMHO.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks to all...other questions

So, to warm up the bike, how many rpm max are better ?

I don't have owner's manual, so what is the meaning of " PRI " on the gasoline selector?

thanks a lot
                        ride safe
                        stef

Comment

Re: Thanks to all...other questions

So, to warm up the bike, how many rpm max are better?
                          BEST:
                          First 30 seconds - 2000 RPM.
                          First 2 minutes - no driving, idle on kick-stand (put on helmet, jacket).
                          Next 10 minutes - 6000 RPM maximum
                          After that - anything it will do

I don't have owner's manual, so what is the meaning of " PRI " on the gasoline selector?
                          PRI = PRIME. This means the gas flows from the tank to your engine if engine is on or off (normally gas only flows when engine is on). You use it for 60 seconds when your carburetors are empty or low, such as if the bike has been parked for winter or if the bike falls over.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I actually just recently, (within the last 2 weeks or so ) used a bottle of STP carb. cleaner in my bike. I noticed it was getting alittle rough sounding, idling about 1000 rpm higher than it should, and getting just ALITTLE harder to start. All signs that I could tell my carbs were soon going to need cleaned out. In a pre-emptive thought process, I used the STP according to the directions and after doing so, filling up with fresh gas each time, changing the oil and filter, its solved the problem.

the gas additives claim to be able to remove deposits in carbs, clean the jets, and help keep build up from happening again. So far so good for me. I'd do it again if/when I notice the same symptoms coming back too.

Comment

Thats what I'm talking about. I love a thread full of good information. Thanks for having my back and enriching my Katana knowlege.
                              http://www.geocities.com/kissarmymc/
                              bikerfriend.org You get cool stickers for your cage

Comment

Working...
                              X