Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

So I bought a wrecked bike today... (pics now)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I bought a wrecked bike today... (pics now)

(The poll is just for my own curiousity, 4th option is not showing "part it out")

$200 CAD

2004 Kawi Ninja ZX-6R (636cc), it t-boned a car. The frame is toast but it runs great and I could of rode it if the rad wasnt munched (no cooling). Usually the insurance comapny would take a bike in this situation, however, this bike with 4000 km's (roughly) on it never had insurance so the guy took it as a loss. I was thinking about engine swapping into my '88 Kat 600, but I was talked into rebuilding it. I could have the bike complete and on the road for a grand total of about $3000 CAD. There could be some hidden damages and stuff but i'll find out soon enough. If the forks are straight i'll definately rebuild, but if they are not I don't know what i'll do for sure. I could always part it out and make way more than $200 so I don't think i'll take a loos on it lol. It could be done cheaper without a body but we'll see, it may be a fighter for its first season on the road.

I noticed on BikeBandit.com that a new frame could be had for just over $1000 US. I will be going through the bike hardcore to do a list of what I need for it, something to do for the long weekend I guess. You may be thinking "why don't you just buy something newer?" well that's where I say "college sucks".

Yes I have the skillzzzzzz, journeyman-auto mech and student for mechanical engineering. Should be a good project to pass time.

Be nice to have a 350lb (dry) 125hp machine for $3000!!!

The original back tire is on it and its not even worn down so it could have less than 4000 km's on it, that was just a third-hand guesstimate.

Aaaaaaanyways enough rambling.... that's my story.

I'll probably post some pics tommorrow.
    Katana engine swap
    0.00%
    Rebuild it and ride it
    100.00%
    Rebuild it and sell it
    0.00%

Seems like quite a bit of work. Have fun rebuilding the bike. My vote goes for rebuild it and ride it if you're willing to put the time into this project. I'm interested to see the pictures...
    -If you don't like my driving, stay out of the dytch!-

Comment

Originally posted by dytch
      Seems like quite a bit of work. Have fun rebuilding the bike. My vote goes for rebuild it and ride it if you're willing to put the time into this project. I'm interested to see the pictures...
      Ya it will be a bit of work, but it's not like fabricating a whole lot of things (Kat engine swap). Just bolt it all together and such. The hardest part will be getting a new frame. And ya i'll get some pics soon, I have some now that I took today but the are just shots of various parts not the whole bike.

Comment

Although there is something to be said for a brand new frame, you'd probably be better served by finding someone who's insurance company wrote-off their bike (of the same make) for fairing damages or rear-end damages and transplanting that frame instead (keeping the current VIN on file). Should be a lot cheaper for you.

Personally, I'd probably part it, but I gave up on ground-up rebuilds some years ago when I gave up my garage (living in a Condo now).

Good Luck whatever you decide!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I would suggest that rebuilding it and riding it will give you something (e.g. sense of accomplishment) that you won't get from just buying a bike or selling it off.
          "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Bottom line IMO Steve?
            for $200can take your time..
            I would rebuild it.
            (course I would make it naked!! )
            But for what you have into it..
            Take your time..

Comment

I'd turn it into a street fighter or a stunt bike and keep it.
              I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

I say rebuild it and ride it but don't make it a street fighter :P

I personally like the way the 636 looks ... but maybe that's because I have a Ninja250 :

Comment

I say part it out and then buy another bike with the money you made from it.

Comment

636 would be easy to part out....(used alot for stunt riding) or would make a nice bike if your will to put the work into it

Comment

i would drop that engine into another bike or a quad maybe...

good luck sounds like u got a good deal
                      1989 katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by frosti108
                        i would drop that engine into another bike or a quad maybe...
                        Heyyyyyy didn't Nitro just buy a go cart?!?!?

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have already been frame shoppin..... found one for $600 CAD with papers so far.

Comment

Stunt bike or street fighter

Would make a perfect stunt bike or street fighter. My two cents.
                            1996 Suzuki gsx-f 750 fighter
                            1988 Yamaha tzr 250 with tt350 fourstroke fitted
                            2004 Schwinn stingray with 80cc twostroke fitted

Comment

Pictures... already have removed a bunch of stuff. And correction on year, it's an 03 not an 04.

Comment

Working...
                              X