X

Ya'll have gotten me started !!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya'll have gotten me started !!!

I was warned by some of you when I introduced myself a few weeks ago but I can no longer deny the urge to modify my 2000 Katana 600 which is still bone stock after five years except for dropping one tooth in the front sprocket.

So my goal is to see how good I can make a 1/4 mile pass.

What do you motorheads think I should do first?
    Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Re: Ya'll have gotten me started !!!

Originally posted by FrankTheTank
    What do you motorheads think I should do first?
    Here's a good list: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kata...aUpgrades.html

Comment

- ignition advancer, slip-on, 750katana header, ivan jet kit, synthetic oil & iridium plugs.

beyond that - a 750 or 1100 motor.

tim

if you really are only looking for 1/4 mile times - the kat is geared to tall.
      you've gone -1 up front - go up a couple in the rear. mine ran really well up to 90-100 but took a lot of pavement to get to it's maximum speed (131 mph). - but you'll have to weigh that will your ability to shift quickly.

Comment

Thanks
        I've been running synthetic oil and that has made a difference.
        I have adjusted my suspension and the Dunlop 208's work well for me.

I think I will try a jet kit first. But first I need a new rear tire and front fork seals.

My best 1/4 mile so far is only 13.4s. But I haven't been back to the track since thn front sprocket change.

I was once told an 1127 motor will fit but I have never looked into finding one.

Comment

i liked the 208zr's i ran though 3 sets of them.

don't put a jet kit on until you at least get a slip-on.
          - i was 1/2 joking about the motor, you'd be better off selling the kat
          and buying a bandit 1200.

tim

Comment

Will do.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankTheTank
              My best 1/4 mile so far is only 13.4s. But I haven't been back to the track since thn front sprocket change.
              i would think that even stock it should be better.... id say that the best upgrade is to learn how to use and abuse that clutch! ive spanked all kinds of big bikes off the line... because i work that clutch hard.

Comment

Originally posted by jason05

i would think that even stock it should be better.... id say that the best upgrade is to learn how to use and abuse that clutch! ive spanked all kinds of big bikes off the line... because i work that clutch hard.
                Absolutely! A skill upgrade would be nice. I'm sure I can be faster with what I've got. It definitely takes practice though.

Comment

Quarter mile track times:

Drop both ends some (this will reduce the wind resistance by reducing the height of the bike).
                  Run 60 profile tires (more drop)
                  Run the rear around 32 psi instead of the preferred 38 psi most of us run.
                  Sprocket up on the rear sprocket by 4 teeth over stock (51 tooth).
                  Install an electric shifter kit that has a coil-cut-out to momentarily unload the engine.
                  Use the lowest octane gasoline you can find, and only keep 1/2 gallon in the tank during runs (drops weight).
                  Aluminum carrier sprockets, new chain.
                  Ivan's JetKit.
                  Aftermarket headers or OEM 750 headers and grind out the weld seams at the header down-pipe flanges.
                  Large diameter high-flow muffler.
                  Smallest/lightest battery you can find during the runs (bolt the standard battery back in at all other times).
                  Castrol R4 race oil (5w50)
                  Lower windshield height.
                  More aerodynamic clothing.
                  Remove the centerstand, tool kit, anything else not required for your purposes.

Good Luck!
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X