No announcement yet.
X

Coil lead voltage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm at a loss. Bike still doesn't fire on cylinders 1,4. I've changed coils, put ngk jr9c plugs in. I have also installey a new petcock and cleaned up my fuel line mess. I noticed the cdi box smoking lightly the other day, I could also smell electronics burning. I've checked all my ignition wiring and can't find any trouble spots. Also I have noticed the cdi box getting extremely hot. I don't know what the hell else to do.

Comment

You fried the CDI, there is a short on the output side of the CDI ( coils, pulse generator or side stand relay) I would check continuity between the left coil neg and the + battery post. Unplug everything first of course. If the wiring to the coil were shorted you would have no spark and a fried CDI. Coil resistance should be 3 ohm. Next would be the pulse generator, if it looks melted, it's bad no matter what it reads. Then the side stand safety system
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yeah, like I said before, my 2,3 cylinders fire fine. I just received a new coil for 1,4 again. Could something be killing my coil on that side? I haven't pulled the new coil to test it but I have a hunch it's bad again. Plug wires are all new. Plug caps are original (I think) with one mismatched. Could that be part of my problem?

Comment

The plug boots have a resistance requirement also so, it could.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Do you know what the resistance is supposed to be?

Comment

I'll have to look, or someone can chime in
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Junker, nobody ever chimes in. You are basically the only person on here that answer's any question's I have. I do think they are 50k but not very knowledgeable abut the multimeter settings. Would I just put it on k ohm and use that reading?
                Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 11-08-2015, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Coil primary resistance is 2-4 ohm. Secondary is 30-40K ohm ( threw the spark plug wires 1/4 2/3. If you get a bad reading remove the wires and measure direct to the coil) The signal generator resistance is 135-200 ohm across the wires ( the signal generator is actually 2 coils not triggered at the same time due to trigger pin size difference), also measure resistance from all 3 wires to ground it should be infinity with the meter setting to highest resistance (mega ohm is best). The plug caps should show a resistance ( the manual doesn't specify any number) not open. A good ignition system should be able to jump a 5/16" gap with a blue spark. If all pans out its an electrical issue within the bike.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

This is probably a dumb question but is there supposed to be oil on and around the signal generator?

Comment

There will be oil in there. It is not a positive sealing oil seal. Bottom right there is a drain hole.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

That's what I thought.I did see the drain plug but at this point I'm searching for anything. It's too cold here to really work on the bike much these days so I have to make my time with it count.

Comment

Hehehe, still 80's here..oh and no damn snow...
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

We had snow this morning, strong winds and 30 degrees. My phone says 30 but real feel of 13

Comment

What does anybody think about converting my whole ignition system over to dynatek stuff?

Comment

Why would you? You still think it's an ignition component problem?
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X