X

help finding parts....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help finding parts....

just called my local shop to check on the price of new spark plug wires... they want $80 for EACH one... it includes the coil that two of them plug into, but still.... also they have the boots, but thats $40 for EACH one... thats just a little piece of plastic/rubber, WTF?!?!?!

doesnt make sense to me....
    my bike has 25k miles on it and thanks to cyber and jim i'll be putting new plugs in it. im not sure if the wires have ever been changed allthough i hope so. the one boot on number one cylinder is cracked (v-shape missing from it) although the electrode still looks good... i'd like to replace them, but not if it costs that much....

i've tried looking for wire sets on denniskirk, bikebandit, and a few other sites, but i can't even find a place to order them... btw, i did search old posts, but i haven't found any answers to this question...

does anyone know a good place to get spark plug wires from? i know they should be a little spendy, but they shouldnt cost as much as nology wires for a car ($200, was for my accord, still a 4-cyl tho), seems ridiculous to me....

The coil and wire are around $64 at ronayers.com.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I believe the wires are integrated into the coil. so you would only need two. as for the boots, that does seem expensive.

Comment

perhaps ebay???

or maybe someone here has some spare parts around that they'd be willing to part with. post a thread in the "parts, gear, and accessories" forum with "wtb" in the title followed by plug wires or whatever. good luck.

Long Live the D

Comment

thanks for all the replies... i think i might just try to replace the wires as per:

seems cheap and pretty easy...

i was just thinking that many others would have had to replace these things before, but i guess the standard way is to get OEM replacements from microfiche sites...

if i don't have to replace this stuff, i won't, but ive always thought if you're replacing plugs, replace the wires too...

Comment

Originally posted by ndn
            if i don't have to replace this stuff, i won't, but ive always thought if you're replacing plugs, replace the wires too...
            I can't say that I have heard anyone on here replacing their wires/coils unless they're broken. Yea, I know on a car you would typically replace plugs and wires, but I think you can leave the wires on a Kat - just replace the spark plugs.

...Well, I guess some long-term maintenance is to electrically inspect the wires/coils (their resistance and such), so I wouldn't replace them unless they're out of spec.
            "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

+1
              i just replaced the plugs on my kat but not the wires (even though i snapped the #2 wire). i still noticed a world of difference in just changing the plugs. i think you'll be ok without changing the wires unless they're completely shot.

Long Live the D

Comment

paradox and Teh_k, thats good to know, i'll just inspect everything closely and probably not change anything except that cracked boot...

but, how did you get around this problem?
                Originally posted by paradoxmd
                even though i snapped the #2 wire
                thats seems like you would have to replace it.... or does duct tape repair everything?

Comment

there's actually a screw inside the wire that connects it to the other end. apart from screwing it back in, i supposed you could make sure it's sitting in and making contact. then wrap in electrical tape, which i did anyway just to be safe.

Long Live the D

Comment

Does anyone know of a good performance, aftermarket coil that may or may not cost more? I know someone had the on here but i cannot remember who.

Comment

Was it 771doug?
                      I forget but he lead me to KP..
                      He added Dyna coils..
                      I posted some tips on replacing the
                      wires at the coils..

yup!
                      771doug..

Comment

Ya those are it! is that tricky to do or is it a "generic" coil with the right boots. and does it help much?

wondering because i have the same set-up minus the big bore

Comment

Be careful if/when you order the aftermarket coils... there have been horror stories of the wrong coil type being supplied by Accel and blowing out the CDi, then the vendors and the manufacturer just blowing the customers off about it (finger-pointing at each other). I'd say email Doug771 and make sure you get the actual part numbers off him if you go that route.

As for plug wires:
                          Measure them with an ohm-meter for resistance. If they pass, skip replacing them. If they don't pass, but the coils do, replace just the wires using bulk plug wire & boots, etc. from the auto parts store.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

now that i know just to get 7mm copper wire from the auto store, thats easy... but can you get the boots there too? i have one that has a v-shape missing, enough to barely arc i think. i thought they were all different, but it would be nice to have something that just fits.

Comment

Originally posted by ndn
                              now that i know just to get 7mm copper wire from the auto store, thats easy... but can you get the boots there too? i have one that has a v-shape missing, enough to barely arc i think. i thought they were all different, but it would be nice to have something that just fits.
                              Most auto parts stores, yes, you can get the right boots, or at least order them. I can't recall if the plug wire is a resistor wire or not... might want to check. It'll make a difference in how high the power has to climb before it arcs, making for a slightly later but more powerful spark event...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X