X

Pulled a magic oil change.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled a magic oil change.

Get home from work very late. So I want to change the oil before I leave for work again in about 5 hours. Pull everything I need to get off as fast as I can. Pull the drain plug and filter. While the bike is draining take oil fill cover and plug. Go inside to get some beer then I start filling the bbike with oil. I have a stock pile of oil at home so I dont keep track of how many quarts I'm putting in. I go by the oil sight gass. After awile I see the oil isn't filling up. I look at the ground and notice I used about 5 quarts already, and oil all over the floor. I forgot to put the drain plug back on. What a dumass. So I spent an hour cleaning up went to bed and forgot to set the alarm. Got to work late.

gotta love days like that

we all feel your pain
    You're Welcome,
    - The Social Invalid

Comment

sorry man been there done that, the worst is when I drained the oil and found out that is a hole in the bucket and oil was everywhere. Cat litter is soak up all the oil.

Comment

Hey I got another one. I couple years back changed the tranny on a 83 ford ranger. Forgot to hook up the trans cooler lines. They were dangling underneath the truck. Turn the truck on give it some throttle. Step out slipp on some oil bang my head on the truck. All the trans fliud is all over my garage. What a big mess. that was about 7 quarts of oil to pick up.

Comment

That's nothing!!!! I work for a Caterpillar dealership and witnessed one of our most experienced technicians pump abaout 15 gallons of hydraulic on the floor - just goes to show this can happen to anyone. That is why I always use an oversized drainpan and put oil soak pads on the floor under it - sort of thaty ounce of prevention thing.

Comment

Been there too...

Comment

It's good to know you are not alone. I think I have done all above except for the Caterpillar thing.
              R.I.P. Marc

Comment

I forgot to put the filler cap on once....when you rev the engine, oil just SPRAYS outa there....

Comment

Re: Pulled a magic oil change.

Originally posted by gpggnnn
                  I forgot to put the drain plug back on. What a dumass.
                  The fact that you're working 12+hour days and live over 90 minutes (each way) from work doesn't help.

TIP: Fumoto oil drain valve. You really need one.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

At least you didn't go riding without putting oil in, it can always be worse. Fumoto valve, gotta love it.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Yep Ive done that before at least you didnt spill your beer!!

Comment

never done it, but I have plenty of time left...
                        Live and Lean.
                        When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                        "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                        Romans 3:23

Comment

Good lesson as to why you take your time doing things. It took me about 45 mins the other day to do my oil change but it pleasant because I was in no hurry. Everything worked out nicely. I was even able to fix my alarm! lol

Comment

I was lucky, learned that lesson early in life...

I was about 16, and stupid for anything with gears. So crazy for the stuff, I actually begged my Mom to let me change the oil in her car- nothing to do to my car that Saturday, and I thought I'd do her a favor. She said "Sure!" and armed me with the money to buy oil and filter. Off I went in her car, got the stuff, met up with a friend and smoked a little reefer. Stupidly, drove home semi-stoned. Got started on the job,and as I was putting the 5th of 5 quarts of oil in, and sobering up, I went under the car to be sure the drain plug/filter were tite- and saw a steam of fresh, clean oil running down the driveway to the street. Horrified, I ran inside, told Mom to NOT drive her car ANYWHERE until I got back (no explination, of course: "Mom, I got stoned and poured all your oil down the drive" was NOT gonna fly...) and went back to Western Auto in MY car, spent MY money to buy 5 more quarts.

Moral: Never get high when you have a job to do.
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
                              Moral: Never get high when you have a job to do.
                              Moral of the story:
                              Never trust a 16 year old stoner with your car!

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X