X

Newby. Headlight bulb replacement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby. Headlight bulb replacement

hey guys. I bought a 99 katana 600 last year and was wanting to replace the headlight bulbs, but can't figure out how to get the old ones out. So if anybody could give me some instructions, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Is that your bike outside? I ride.... competitively.

reach in...behind the fairing (there are two BTW)

feel the wires going in...pull the weatherproof boot off to expose the connector

yank the connector off (notice how they are oriented)...three prongs

there is a spring hinge retaining clip. squeeze the left and right side together...hinge at the top

pull out bulbs from the prongs (they are a H4)

if replacing them...Sylvania Silverstars work great...replace in PAIRS

never touch the quartz glass..oils on your skin will cause a hotspot and leads to premature failure

Comment

reach in...behind the fairing (there are two BTW)

feel the wires going in...pull the weatherproof boot off to expose the connector

yank the connector off (notice how they are oriented)...three prongs

there is a spring hinge retaining clip. squeeze the left and right side together...hinge at the top

pull out bulbs from the prongs (they are a H4)

if replacing them...Sylvania Silverstars work great...replace in PAIRS

never touch the quartz glass..oils on your skin will cause a hotspot and leads to premature failure

Comment

If the bulbs have never been changed previously, that spring clip he mentions may be screwed into place with a screw, in which case that phillips-headed screw needs to be loosened just a little bit. Turning the steering wheel all the way to one side will help you see the set-up once you have the rubber boot off the rear of the bulb.

TIPS:
        Do not use any bulb rated over 55/60 watts draw without upgrading your wiring and adding relays. The stock wiring is designed for that draw, and using significantly higher rated (say 70/85 or 80/100 watt) bulbs will fry your wiring over time, resulting in a possible electrical fire.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Remember to pull and replace one bulb at at time. That way if you get disoriented then you have something to use a guide. Seems like asimple idea, but I know that have been burned by doing something like this.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help guys
            Is that your bike outside? I ride.... competitively.

Comment

I was in the local wal mart the other night in the headlight bulb section and i noticed they had the sylvania silverstars in a 2 pack red tagged for $38. Is that a decent price or is there somewhere else on the net that you can get them cheaper for?

Comment

Originally posted by rideitlikeyoustoleit03
                wal mart - sylvania silverstars 2 pack- $38.
                That's a good price, and just a hair under what most of the discounted auto parts stores get for them in our area.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah , I think I paid about $20 for one .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X