X

Paint codes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint codes?

I picked up a Braada cowl for $50 CDN off a bike forum here in Montreal. My brother in law is a painter so I figured I'd call Suzuki and get the paint code so he could paint it but the dealer said they don't have a code and you just have to try and match it the best you can???? WTF So I call up a second dealer and he tells me the same thing. He says motorcycles aren't the same as car paint codes. Does anybody know where I can find a paint match for a 2005 750 dark blue. Thanks.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

What I was going to do is take a close up picture of mine and have Photoshop give me the Pantone code for it when I scanned the image in - but add the flakes later on when mixing. But that's my approach.

What color is your bike?
    GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

Here http://www.colorrite.com/
      or
      Do you guys have UAP? Our local UAP has one of those fancy camera setups that can colour match the original paint for you.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Wow - that worked for me, but I've heard bad things about those colors really don't match.

(At least on cars...)

Comment

just paint it and the rest of the bike black .. then it will look better and go faster .. double score seriously though .. my first bike was that dark blue .. awesome color for not being black good luck on finding the match
          so many roads so little time

Comment

I know someone who used the Colorrite spray paint in the aerosol can and the color was off a shade or two. Maybe they needed to add another coat to darken it to match the bike, anyway thanks for the info Astro, I'll probably go that route. River, the color is Deep Sea Blue Metallic.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Gotcha!

Comment

Take your oil door off , take it to the painter , and say "match this" .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

lucky dog i want a braada cowl too
                  06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by katman05
                    I know someone who used the Colorrite spray paint in the aerosol can and the color was off a shade or two. Maybe they needed to add another coat to darken it to match the bike, anyway thanks for the info Astro, I'll probably go that route. River, the color is Deep Sea Blue Metallic.
                    The same colors can be different "shades" with the same name, and a similar paint code. Colorrite is a great place to find a match... I think the paint codes are also listed on www.ronayers.com
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Okay... Ron Ayers doesn't list 2005 model for some reason, but it does say to get paint matchs from colorrite.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Dont use color rite. Damn stuff sux. Contact a body shop in your area and ask if they have a paint scanner gun. They can shoot your bikes color and match it perfectly! I just did it for my bike and it was flawless. Or if you like your bike has a small door like oval on the right side heldo on by one screw. you could contact me in PM and make arangements for your code scan.

Comment

The problem is often the additives and time. Add hardner and it will shift the color some. Rest of the bike has seen sunlight for "X" number of years and it will have faded slightly as a result. A good paint supplier should be able to mix you a blend that compensates for both...

ULTRA-CRITICAL on the Kats: make sure the primer coat is the color specified for that top-coat. For example, to get the '01 Kat 600 blue correct even with the color-rite paint, the primer must be a pure white (or you need a pure white base coat).

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.
                            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              The problem is often the additives and time. Add hardner and it will shift the color some. Rest of the bike has seen sunlight for "X" number of years and it will have faded slightly as a result. A good paint supplier should be able to mix you a blend that compensates for both...

ULTRA-CRITICAL on the Kats: make sure the primer coat is the color specified for that top-coat. For example, to get the '01 Kat 600 blue correct even with the color-rite paint, the primer must be a pure white (or you need a pure white base coat).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              actually, adding hardner will not shift the color. if that was the case, when you reduce it, it would be wayyyy off, seeing as you reduce 50/50. and reducer is the same color as the hardner....which is clear, and it is calculated in the mix.

you are right about time though....paint does fade. however, it takes quite a few years as todays paint are more resistant to fading.

Chris.....if you have problems matching it, take a ride down and see me with your oil cover. I will fix you up. however, your bro-in-law should be able to do it if he is a painter.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X