• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
    If they make it, I can get it for ya.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    And if they don't make it give him enough time and he'll talk them into making it
    '06 600 Katana
    http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
    Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
    Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
      If they make it, I can get it for ya.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

excellent excellent !!

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Maybe you should say something to Corbin about throwing out the mold for the pre- 600s.. I called 'em about 8 months ago and tried to get a saddle for a pre-600, and it was a no-go.

Comment

Originally posted by the_wanderer View Post
          Maybe you should say something to Corbin about throwing out the mold for the pre- 600s.. I called 'em about 8 months ago and tried to get a saddle for a pre-600, and it was a no-go.

now i have heard this a while ago, don't know if there is any trueth to it, but i heard if you send in your seat, they will do the corbin treatment to it. but granted the seat pan that corbin makes its self the key to the corbin seat.

they only list that they make it to 1993 kat 750, i got one and put it on my '92 750 and reported back, and they said they would not change the site unless it was there in person.
          Last edited by BarMatt80; 04-19-2008, 04:23 PM.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
            now i have heard this a while ago, don't know if there is any trueth to it, but i heard if you send in your seat, they will do the corbin treatment to it. but granted the seat pan that corbin makes its self the key to the corbin seat.
            I've heard the same thing. If not, I can recommend a Florida boy who restuffs existing seats for a bit under $100 (you won't get the advantages of a corbin, but it's still a big upgrade over OEM stock).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
              And when I called them, I got the exact opposite story.. If anybody verifies that they can do something with the stock seat, please let me know, since they told me the exact opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by the_wanderer View Post
                And when I called them, I got the exact opposite story.. If anybody verifies that they can do something with the stock seat, please let me know, since they told me the exact opposite.
                well if you were told from the horse's mouth, then no reason to look further. like marc and I said, we heard it years ago. Sargeant is the company that takes your stock seat and reshapes. Plus I think there is a member on here that redoes seats as well, not sure. I am sure someone would send some pictures and measurements of their corbin seat so you can do it your self and then take it somewhere to be recovered. I would recommend going with two stage foam set up, stiffer as the first layer, and something no so stiff as the top layer.

Comment

Are the Corbin seats really that nice? I have not had the opportunity to sit on one yet. Are they just softer or do they feel totally different because of how they support your thighs and butt, instead of just your butt?

I have been thinking about getting one. I need some feedback from Marc and you other Corbin owners.
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                    Are the Corbin seats really that nice? I have not had the opportunity to sit on one yet. Are they just softer or do they feel totally different because of how they support your thighs and butt, instead of just your butt?

I have been thinking about getting one. I need some feedback from Marc and you other Corbin owners.
                    In one word... YES!!!
                    I feel better than ever after a long days riding, it helps your posture and comfort. It is a saddle rather than a seat, the curves are the whole difference. My wife says that if you ride 2up consider the removable backrest also for your passenger. She LOVES it...
                    2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                    Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                    "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                    Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                    Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                    "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Other than restuffing, do you suggest anything for pre 600s? Does anyone still make any seat replacements for the pre?
                      -
                      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
                        Other than restuffing, do you suggest anything for pre 600s? Does anyone still make any seat replacements for the pre?

your only options for pre98 600 kats is: 1 do it your self, 2 send it to sargeant, 3 have someone locally do it, 4 find some other outfit to do it.

you could dish it like a corbin and use two difference foam densities to mirror that of the corbin.

Comment

Let's see if I can put it into perspective for you:

I pick up my 4th Kat next Friday and have ordered my third corbin saddle for a Kat for that bike already -- I'm that firm a believer in it (aside from great tires & safety-maintenance, the Corbin is the best investment IMHO).

In terms of what it actually does: using a much denser closed-cell foam that is spread over a much wider area above a custom-made pan, you get support over a much larger portion of your body.
                          This probably doesn't matter much if you weigh 120 and are 20 years old; at 150+ and 30+ years old, it makes a significant difference in the whole "feel" of the bike, esp after an hour or two on the road (I always feel like the OEM Kat seat wants to try to crawl up my butt-crack after an hour on the road because of how it concentrates the weight at my hip/butt-bones). There's also a distinctive back-stop and raised nose, so while you can move forward/backward in the seat for comfort, you're not going to slide off it either forward or backwards.

The second advantage relates to the fact that the denser foam over the wider area also means that the layer itself is thinner (while offering more support that the OEM seat). As a result, your riding position literally drops about an inch compared to the seating position of the OEM Suzuki seat (and about 1.5"-2.25" drop from the Suzuki optional gel seat). This puts your body closer to the Center of Gravity (CG) of the bike, improving it's handling a bit and providing you more shelter behind the fairings in inclement weather as well.

The third advantage: the smooth leather (default option) also means you can very readily move left/right for additional handling benefits in turns without upsetting the suspension nearly as much (I don't know about the 03+ seats, but the 98-02 OEM Kat seats had a triangular surface pattern on the front that made sliding across it neigh-on-impossible; you had to lift your butt up to get across).

The fourth & fifth advantages are for the passenger: the rear seat area is more supportive for the rear passenger because it cups in the center and is wider left-to-right, and there is an optional back-rest that can be mounted/unmounted with a single allen-headed bolt under the seat (mounts through the seat-pan to hold the support pole for the back-rest in place).

Downsides:
                          Default construction is leather seating areas with vinyl sides & vinyl welts/piping (because the vinyl areas get distorted and abraded more). This means this is not a "no-care" product; you actually need to treat the leather every so often to keep it in good shape just like any other leather product (lexol spray leather cleaner/conditioner works quite well, although I suggest using either mink oil or a bees-wax product like SnoPruf when you first get the saddle).
                          It will take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours (at one time) or up to 32 - 40 hours (spread across weeks/months) to actually "break in" the saddle. The denser foam and the thick leather mean it takes more than an hour or two for the leather to stretch to match your body and the foam to start to form-fit you. A lot of riders don't find the break-in process all that comfy and complain initially, only to let me know they love the saddle once it's actually broken in. Using mink oil initially will reduce the break-in cycle because it will help soften the leather (but may transfer some residual mink oil to your clothing).
                          You need be much more careful about setting the saddle on the ground than the OEM one. The shape of the pan tends to make concrete very aggressive at cutting the materials wrapped around the pan when you set it down (getting the seat recovered is also a lot more expensive than recovering an OEM seat, although unless you damage it, it's not likely to ever need recovering).

ORDERING PITFALLS:
                          Skip getting the seating area in any material pattern that will retain water unless you live in a desert or only ride in dry weather. Carbon Fiber effect may look really cool, but when each little rise holds an extra drop of water that's going to soak your butt when you climb back on the bike, it's not so cool.
                          Skip any embroidery in the seat area. If you want the seat embroidered in any manner, have them put the embroidery in the back-panel that the rider's back is up against. Water won't soak into the seat that way.
                          Never substitute leather for vinyl on the welting (piping). I did this on my last one because I wanted to be able to dye the leather a specific shade, and found that sliding on/off the bike abraded the leather welting over time -- where the vinyl welting never wore out on the other saddles I had.
                          Their red leather is a perfect match for the '00 Kat 600 red. The blue is a bit off the '01 Kat 600 blue; the navy is a better contrast.
                          Light colored leathers stain more readily; stick to black if possible.
                          Stick to one- or two-tone. If you go two-tone, ask for advice on which panels should be which colors (best effects involve coloring specific panels while leaving the rest black).

FINALLY:
                          Now, honestly, if you don't tend to ride more than 20 minutes at a pop, weight under 150, it probably isn't significant enough to justify. But if that's not you, I'd suggest at least borrowing a corbin from another Kat rider to try out. If you do hours on the bike, you want one of these...
                          As for me, I'm usually willing to loan my own out for people to try at the rally to get the idea if it suits them, but the fact that it's broken in specifically for me does make it a bit unfair (still it gives you an idea of the general differences).

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

OK I am looking at a corbin seat with the back rest for a 2001 750 kat, what is the price? With shipping of course, thanks. and do you still have any of the ignition advance units left 5 degree?-

Comment

Originally posted by Glimas View Post
                              OK I am looking at a corbin seat with the back rest for a 2001 750 kat, what is the price? With shipping of course, thanks. and do you still have any of the ignition advance units left 5 degree?-
                              Less than their price, and mine includes delivery.
                              Since the price varies by material selections and which seat-back, I can't tell you specifically without knowing which model number seat-back you want, etc.

I have advancers on order; should be in late this week (fingers crossed).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Last edited by The CyberPoet; 10-04-2008, 08:53 PM.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Same 17% off for non Kats?

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Working...
                                X