Duplicolor Low Gloss Black??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicolor Low Gloss Black??

Good Afternoon,

I'm painting my plastic (upper fairings and rear cowling and solo hump)on my 97 TL1000S. I've primed the plastic with duplicolor sandable primer and will try the duplicolor engine paint
    # DE1634 low gloss black enamel with ceramic rated for 500 degrees.
    The DE1634 has a satin finish and appears to be pretty tuff.
    I sprayed a small part of the plastic and let it set for a couple of hours in the sun @ 85 degrees and 60% humidity.
    I lightly pressed my fingernail in to the paint and it was still soft!

The directions state: 1 hour / Paint will be tacky. 3 hours / paint can be handled. Allow 5 days for paint to completely cure.

Checked the paint again at 3 hours still soft. I'll check it again in the morning and let you know the results.

I'm looking for a matte / satin black finish and something that will hold up.
    I was hoping DE1634 engine paint enamel was going to be the correct choice. I may have made a mistake because this paint is still soft.

Am I overlooking something? Should I use a Duplicolor regular semigloss black enamel?
    Has any one used Duplicolor Engine Enamel on their plastic?

Could someone let me know before I go any futher?

Thanks
    Riding the twisties of 9,11,28,178,215 of Western North & South Carolina.

leaving it in the hot sun could have something to do with the extended drying time. The heat will help spread and smooth out the finish, but will increase drying time.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Have you thought about maybe just using a black primer to get the flatt black affect?

I am not sure, but that may neeed heat to actually help cure it. You may want to get your hands on a heat gun ( a lot of places you can rent them for cheap), and see if that will help set it as well. Don't hold it over to long, just move it back and forth about 4 or 6 inches away to spread the heat, like you were drting you hair.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

The surface seems to be a bit harder!

Thanks for the info guys, I just checked the plastic @ 8:50 AM EST (70 degrees and 40% humidity) and the surface seems a bit harder. I'll let it sit in the sun for most of the day and post the results later this evening.

Thanks again,

Comment

The humidity factor plays heavily into the drying time.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Paint still soft!

Well checked the paint again this afternoon @ 5:00 PM 85 degrees and 30% Humdity for most of the day. The paint is still as soft as it was this morning.

The part was setting on my porch out of the sun and with plenty of ventilation all day long.

I think I may know what my problem is; A riding buddy mine had used this engine enamel on a 87 VFR750 on the cans. Someone had told him the paint needs to heat up from the inside out for it to completely cure.

Since I'm using duplicolor primer and then applying the enamel to the primer there maybe some type of reaction not allowing the engine enamel to dry. Also the engine enamel (I believe) is intended to be applied directly to the metal. I'm not sure about this.

So I've taken off the engine enamel and went with duplicolor semigloss black # DA1603 Acrylic Enamel. It has a nice satin shine similar to the matte finish that is being used by Honda's 919.

Has any one used this enamel and applied duplicolor acrylic enamel clear over it?

Thanks again,

Comment

Semigloss black enamel

Good Afternoon,

I sprayed the TLS plastic with duplicolor acrylic enamel semigloss black.
              The paint appears to be drying fine, did the finger nail test after 3 hours of drying time / 88 degrees @ 40% humidity and the paint is hard.
              I'm going to apply one more coat and then two coats of clear.

What grit paper should I wet sand with 600, 800, 1000 between coats?

With the first coat on (no wet sanding yet) the shine is close to the matte finish of the Honda 919.

Thanks again guys,

Comment

I have some paint thats formulated to stick well to plastic, tried on ABS, and it works. Found it at Home Depot or Lowes.
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Wet Sanded with 1000 grit

The paint was dry at around 6:00 PM.
                  I wet sanded the 1st coat with 1000 grit and is real smooth. Will apply the 2nd coat tommorrow.
                  Hopefully Saturday will apply the clear coats.

Things are starting to look promising.

I'll post some pics when completed.

Thanks,

Comment

This is with the Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel Satin Black...not back for out of a can.

Comment

Sigh... Like Jessica Alba or Debbie Gibson, I will NEVER get tired of looking at the seductive curves of the FrankenKat....

Comment

Good Afternoon,

Frakenkat's Bike with Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel semi-gloss black is what I'm shooting for. That's a bad ride!!!!!

Sprayed the second coat on today and let dry for most of the day. Wet sanded with 1500 grit and everything is much smoother. Washed the plastic with soap and water and is currently drying.

Should I spray another coat of semigloss and let it go at that?

Thanks again,

Comment

Honestly, I think I only went 600 wet dry before my final coat.

Your plan sounds good to me...

Comment

I used Varathane satin black "plastic paint" on my bike, click on my ride profile to check it. The paint is very very strong and hard to get off, it certainly doesn't chip easy.

Comment

So much for the Semigloss Black??

Was going to put another coat of the semigloss black then my better half said people wont notice you with that color, well I wasn't out to be noticed.
                              She said that it would be dangerous if people didn't see you, why not go with a brighter color like yellow or a bright blue.

I explained to her that the colors were limited with duplicolor acrylic enamel. So I heeded her advice (Those of you with wifey & kids can understand, if mama's not happy nobody is). She went with me to the Advanced/Auto Zone and looked at the school bus yellow, chrome yellow, cherry red, and royal blue. The yellows were inviting but decided not, the royal blue I was hoping for her blessings but no go, Ended up with the cherry red!

The cherry red is close to the original TL red but not as bright.
                              Applied one coat this afternoon and if anyone has ever tried to cover black with red it is very diffcult. Looks like I'll need to apply another coat to get it where it needs to be. So much for the matte black finish.

I'd rather keep peace in the family than not ride the TL.

Here's some wisdom my Old Man passed to me years ago:
                              The man may wear the pants in the family but the wife chooses the pants the man wears.

So fellas keep those spouses happy!

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X