X

Oil change question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil change question

I just picked up my 2001 750 last fall (my first bike) and I'm itching to get back on this thing (long winter up here). What oil is recommended when i do my first oil change this spring? I was thinking a 10W-40 synthetic, but any input would be appreciated.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes handle bar risers for this thing. I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything. I'll be adding a gel seat and Laminar Lip this spring so I'm looking to bump the bars up a bit.

Thanks for the help.
    2001 Katana 750
    Black

10w-40 half synthetic / half "natural" is what i used when i did my first oil change. Go to bikebandit.com for bar risers

My Dad is a RockStar
    Ask KatanaJim!!
    ----------------------

----------------------
    OS3 Pitrelli
    U.S. Coast Guard
    "Support our Troops"

Comment

Did you get an owner's manual with your bike? If so, the oil specs are stated in it... if not, send me a PM. Here's the abbreviated version:

As for the risers -- you may want to rethink the seat instead. A gel seat will add a bit more height to the seat, raising you further away from the center of gravity (Cg); a corbin will provide more surface area and lower you closer to the Cg instead (denser foam spread over a much broader area, so you're sitting with your whole & upper thighs supported).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the help so far.

I was supposed to get the manual with it, but local dealer is really unreliable.

WHat brand name ofoil should i be looking at?
        2001 Katana 750
        Black

Comment

The whole reason I put up the oil poster is so that you can choose whatever oil fits your budget and tastes, and know it will still do the job required.

Personally, I use Mobil 1 MX4T (recently renamed Mobil 1 4T Racing) and Castrol GPS.

All of the following manufacturers make JASO-MA rated motor oils (which by definition are intended for motorcycles like ours -- that's what the JASO-MA rating was specifically developed for):
          Mobil 1
          Castrol
          Motorex
          Motul
          Pennsoil
          Royal Purple
          Valvoline
          Amsoil

On the cheap end of the market are diesel oils that don't contain any slipping agents, such as Shell Rotella Diesel (but there's no promise they won't change their formulation from one batch to the next simply because motorcycles aren't their target market, which could mean slipping clutch issues). There are some Canadian-specific brands out there as well that I'm not particularly familiar with.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I ran amsoil 10w-40 in my 4-wheeler with no probs. It made for expensive oil changes but why the hell not eh!
            2001 Katana 750
            Black

Comment

I am running Amsoil in mine. I like it!
              2000 Katana 600
              Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

I am running Valvoline and like it. I had a case of Penzoil but used it all up. No problems with either yet. I will probably switch to synthetic next oil change.
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                JOHN 16:33

Comment

Working...
                X