X

Oil pipe o-rings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pipe o-rings

Anybody had a seemingly good o-ring leak in the oil pipes? My left side oil pipe is leaking at the top, so I torn the head off to replace, only to find the o-ring seems to be in excellent condition. Are the o-rings a special compound or can I use run of the mill o-rings? Does a head gasket come with all related o-rings etc? Do I need to replace the copper washers on the studs when I throw it back together?

TIA,
    Dave
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Are you talking about the oil cooler lines?
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

Nope. The two steel oil pipes that go from the under side of the head to the crankcase on the front of the engine. They return the oil from the head to the crankcase/ oil sump.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Re: Oil pipe o-rings

If I understand what you are asking for, it's item #13 in this fiche file:
        RonAyers: 2000 Kat 600 oil pump & related fiche file. Your local dealer will probably get about $3-$3.50 each for them.

(A) I've never seen that o-ring go bad, unless someone tore it while they had the head apart.
        (B) Anything that is copper gets replaced each time reassembly happens (they are use-once crush washers).
        (C) I have no clue whether the o-rings are special to deal with the high oil temps & engine temps that can happen, but I would venture to guess that they are probably metric anyway, meaning you may not be able to find a replacement readily at a local hardware store in the US. At the prices listed above, I'd simply order the stock ones & be done with it.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I know those pipes . Yeah , you SHOULD replace the o-rings anytime you take those pipes out . AND , if you don't have them back in just so ,or pinch them , they WILL leak , and you CANNOT stop the leak with high-temp RTV . But yeah , mine still looked good when I pulled the head , but I replaced them anyway so as not to have to tear the head off AGAIN just to replace a $1 part , which you can get at ANY auto store , BTW . Oh yeah , that reminds me , I need to get some more of those myself before putting my engine back together again .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X