X

Biggest tire on stock rim

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest tire on stock rim

Hey all whats the biggest tire you could fit on the stock rear rim of a 2000 kat 600? I was looking for the widest lowest profile i could go on the back thanks guys.

Jay
    2000 Kat 600 only mod is the D&D that came with it more to come soon though. Crash virginity lost 11/25/05....the rebuildin comes next HAHA

i think its the avon 170 made for narrow rims

Comment

you could definately go with the 170, but my 01 kat 600 had an avon 150 when i bought it... the tire was shot, so i put a pilot power 160 on the rear. i know the bigger tire looks cool, but honestly its not going to look like you want unless its 180 or so.... the 160 has more than enough grip (still hard to break loose, never happened exiting a corner) and it still handles great... you will give up some handling with a 170 and it costs more and clearances would be really tight....

just my 2c....

Comment

With minnor modifications to the swingarm, and creative use of spacers, you should be able to squeeze this sucker right in there.

Comment

I could tell you why you don't want a wider rear tire, but no one ever listens until after they find out for themselves.

Good Luck with that!

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a 180/55/17 on my '92 750. Don't worry i didn't put it on there, came that way. I can show some pics of what it looks like on my bike if i figure out how. I like to think the previous owner was in a crunch and that is what the local shop had. No clearance issues though.

yeah like cyber said, listen don't do it. at any speeds, even at some lower than the stated safe speed for turns, you get into a lean and that tire feels like it is pushing sideways, real squishy, scary scary thing, i won't be riding on it again. wears funny too.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              I could tell you why you don't want a wider rear tire, but no one ever listens until after they find out for themselves.

Good Luck with that!

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Hey CP...
              That's not true.

I read every word of that very long but informative thread.
              And I Got it.

There will be no 200 going on my Kat.

You got to admit though a big fat rear looks sweet.
              "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002
                You got to admit though a big fat rear looks sweet.
                yeah, I also think young, big-chested fair-haired women are very attractive... until gravity takes over ;P

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my 2k 750 has a 160/60 pilot power on the rear. Its nothing short of amazing, I'll definately go back for more w/ these beasts.

zukiman did just put a 170 on his 98+ Kat. havent heard lately though how its goin.. maybe he'll chime in.

Comment

I was tilking to the bike shop today he wants me to try a 180 pilot on the rim.I really think it's to wide I think I go with the 160/60/17 on the rear.I had the powers on my other bike man that tire will grip.
                    1998 Katana green Wileyco pipe,K&N filter,Pilot powers.

Comment

thanks guys ill probably just go with a 160 on the rear. Appreciate the help though.

Jay
                      2000 Kat 600 only mod is the D&D that came with it more to come soon though. Crash virginity lost 11/25/05....the rebuildin comes next HAHA

Comment

Found this thread on a german forum...

The guy seems to be happy with the way it handles - maybe it's just because he spent a lot of money on it. I doubt it's worth it.
                        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                          my 2k 750 has a 160/60 pilot power on the rear. Its nothing short of amazing, I'll definately go back for more w/ these beasts.

zukiman did just put a 170 on his 98+ Kat. havent heard lately though how its goin.. maybe he'll chime in.
                          Here I am Matt! Yea I just had new Pirelli Diablo Stradas put on my 01 Kat 600. 120 in the front, 170 in the rear. No clearance issues at all. I think my bike handles better than it ever has. I just don't see why going to a wider rear tire can be a bad thing. As long as it fits right I say go for it. It handles in the turns much better and has a smoother ride (IMHO). I am convinced that I made the right choice. Oh, and it looks awesome too.

Comment

I order my Powers today went with a 160 on the rear will have the Tuesday.
                            1998 Katana green Wileyco pipe,K&N filter,Pilot powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
                              Found this thread on a german forum...

The guy seems to be happy with the way it handles - maybe it's just because he spent a lot of money on it. I doubt it's worth it.
                              Just a sec there.

Thats a 5.5 wide rim off of a different bike.
                              My German sucks but ...
                              I think it's off of a CBR600R
                              "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Working...
                              X