X

Diablo Strada tire pressure

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diablo Strada tire pressure

My tire pressure was pretty low so I inflated my tires. Right now the pressure is pretty high so I can let air out ASAP. I was wondering what the recommended tire pressure is for Pirelli Diablo Stradas for aggressive riding and some commuting, though with the emphasis on fast-paced twisties.

Depends on your weight with gear...

Baseline on Pirelli's is 135 lb rider, 34 psi front, 36 psi rear (34/36).

If you figure a 20 lb change causes about 1mm tire deflection (ground contact spot), and you want to maintain that same tire profile that a 135lb rider has at baseline, it should be something like this (always measured tires cold):

135 lbs - FRONT: 34 - REAR: 36
    175 lbs - FRONT: 34.9 - REAR: 37
    215 lbs - FRONT: 35.8 - REAR: 38
    255 lbs - FRONT: 36.7 - REAR: 39
    295 lbs - FRONT: 37.6 - REAR: 40
    335 lbs - FRONT: 38.5 - REAR: 41
    375 lbs - FRONT: 39.4 - REAR: MAX
    415 lbs - FRONT: 40.3 - REAR: MAX

Add an additional 1 psi front & rear for long road-trips (unless it will put you over max pressure).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You could always e-mail Pirelli to get an exact answer (I did several months back) . I usually keep mine at 35-ish/38-39-ish , and I weight MAYBE 150 . Add 10lbs for clothes/gear , and another 10-20 for bags with tools and junk .... And Cyber , didn't you say the wear on my tires looked like quite a bit for the milage ? :-k
      Just some fuel for the fire ...
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
        .... And Cyber , didn't you say the wear on my tires looked like quite a bit for the milage ? :-k
        Just some fuel for the fire ...
        You were the one who was complaining about the lifespan of the tires on your bike compared to the lifespans I get. If we could get a 140lb volunteer, it should be easy enough to measure tire deformation by comparing their weight on the Kat to your weight on the kat...
        One thing that hadn't really occured to me, MD86, is that your bags do haul around 20lbs of tools, etc, and all of that hangs at the rear of the seat (longer torque arm on the weight, acting as if it's more than it is)...

Anyway, after 36 hours up, I'm headed for bed (me hopes).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Cyber. I'm about 180 lbs. so i used 35/37 and the ride felt way better this morning. I just hope the shop didn't inflate the tires enough, not that they're slowly leaking or something. I noticed the change when I modified my suspension settings.

Comment

Originally posted by midqetsex
            Thanks Cyber. I'm about 180 lbs. so i used 35/37 and the ride felt way better this morning. I just hope the shop didn't inflate the tires enough, not that they're slowly leaking or something. I noticed the change when I modified my suspension settings.
            Try 36/38...
            And try to remember that tires always leak some air molecules (slowly) through their carcasses, as well as change cold pressure any time the temp varies by 10 degrees F, so you need to check and top them off regularly (at least once a week; I do mine virtually every time I ride).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I made a list of things I'm going to try doing every week.

Check tire pressure, check fluid levels, tighten nuts & bolts, lube chain.

Comment

Originally posted by midqetsex
                I made a list of things I'm going to try doing every week.

Check tire pressure, check fluid levels, tighten nuts & bolts, lube chain.
                Q: Ever hear of a pre-ride checklist?
                These are things you check before you ride away for the first time each day... Or at the end of your last ride... my version of the list:
                Oil level (start, let run 2 minutes, shut down, check 45 to 60 seconds later)
                Tire pressure and visually inspect tires for punctures
                Brake fluid (at least front reservior), Clutch fluid if bike uses it (Kat's don't)
                Visual inspection of chain & slack (clean/lube if necessary)
                Rotors (quick clean - paper towel & windex wipe once, or spray brake cleaner)
                Eyeball the bike once-over, including the petcock (make sure it's not in PRIME or RES), check the fuel level (do I need to hit a gas station on my way out), etc.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my pre-ride inspection is...

- Got Gas? ... Check
                  - Is It Raining? ... Check
                  - Got Key? ... Check
                  - Did it start? ... Check

i check the tires whenever it pops into my head, and they arent hot.

i check the oil whenever i do an oil change

i lube the chain about once a week
                  I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                  http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Don't forget look under bike for parts that have fallen off or puddles of oil . If puddle is large or part looks imprtant , figure out where it came from .

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      Don't forget look under bike for parts that have fallen off or puddles of oil . If puddle is large or part looks imprtant , figure out where it came from .
                      OMG MD

Comment

What , I was serious ? It happens .

Comment

Working...
                        X