PDA

View Full Version : Car Exhausts - Disturbing Trend

katana04
11-08-2004, 10:01 PM
I don't know about the rest of the country, but there is this "trend" going on here in South Florida where riders are using car exhaust tailpipes and resonators as slip ons.
Even a couple of riders I know have done it and they all have the same reasons... One is cost and the other is sound.
I understand there reasonings, but something tells me that this may not be the best thing to do for your ride.
However, I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem right, and they also look a bit goofy the way they are rigged... It still is a car exhaust and looks like one mounted.
Pretty weird.

Mr. Clean
11-08-2004, 10:31 PM
No sir, I believe we would beat tha tar outa somebody for doing something stupid like that har. *spit*

The CyberPoet
11-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention.

There really isn't much difference between a straight exhaust pipe for a car with a very small engine and one for a bike with a large engine, except heat and mounting issues (plus look). I think it would look cheap, and probably sound as crappy as using straight pipes, but as far as damage to the engine goes, as long as the fuel-air mix is appropriately adjusted to eliminate the lean mix that would result, there should be no damages from doing it.

Q: Weren't these the same folks who started putting maxwell house coffee cans on their neons and rice burner cars in place of the exhaust pipe after the mufflers (or in place of their mufflers)?

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet

Yellow
11-09-2004, 03:51 AM
... and they also look a bit goofy the way they are rigged... It still is a car exhaust and looks like one mounted.
Pretty weird.

Do you have pictures? :smt119

Range
11-09-2004, 08:25 PM
there is a guy around Ottawa with one on his Kat600...it looks like a mini muffler...sounds pretty cool...funny as hell to look at!

Katgirl
11-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Does anyone have a picture?

tdrcomm
11-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Pics, Pics, Pics....

ThAzKat
11-21-2004, 03:59 AM
The majority rules, we want picture's of this setup. I think I would buy used slip-ons before doing something that insane.<ha ha> :lol:

Spedee
11-21-2004, 06:14 AM
there is a guy around Ottawa with one on his Kat600...it looks like a mini muffler...sounds pretty cool...funny as hell to look at!

Beekman and I talked to the owner. It was off a Honda Civic.
Didn't sound too bad. Sure looked different though.

BeekMan
11-21-2004, 08:37 AM

Beekman and I talked to the owner. It was off a Honda Civic.
Didn't sound too bad. Sure looked different though.

Here's what it looked like...

http://members.rogers.com/manbeek/katmuff.jpg

Range
11-21-2004, 08:39 AM
ok...now a sound clip!

(the owners name is Adam....very friendly!)

BeekMan
11-21-2004, 08:50 AM
ok...now a sound clip!

(the owners name is Adam....very friendly!)

Sounded like a D&D to me.

BraadaJim
11-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Well that looks...uhm...different.....
But it does give me an idea! With a little bitty can like that it would make it a lot easier if you wanted to have a custom pipe bent and do a hidden/undertail exhaust. :-k

I knew a guy once that took the pipe off a VW Dune Buggy and put it on a FZR600. Looked like crap, sounded like crap, but it was a low budget bike and it was enough for him to be able to ride it so it served it's purpose.

Wonder what a D&D or a Yosh Race pipe would sound like on a car :)

ThAzKat
11-21-2004, 02:20 PM
NOT ON MY BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Katgirl
11-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Don't think I like it, wouldn't trade anything for my Hindle :)