X

05 GSXF 750 - Bogging at 6000 rpm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 GSXF 750 - Bogging at 6000 rpm

My 04 GSXF 750 has developed an odd bogging down problem. Last year the bike ran great, this year when riding at about 6000 rpm the bike will bog if I crack the throttle. If I roll on the throttle slowly its not a problem but if I crack it hard it really bogs and riders behind me can smell gas. Trying to pass a car is becoming a problem.

I did store the bike with stabil for the winter but thinking the carbs are running too rich ??
    2005 GSXF750 Katana
    1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
    1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Taking the carbs off tomorrow to have a look. According to the parts fiche it shows a fuel filter on the fuel line to the carbs. Is this really necessary as I think it may be restricting fuel flow?
    2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

ck for vacuum leak first. boots,airbox hoses, etc. you can ck the filter for restriction or clog.
      Last edited by KAT TOY; 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I actually have the same problem...I dont know about the fuel smelling part but everything else is the same. I have an 2002 600cc

Please post up whatever the result is or PM me so I can do the same........

THANKS!
        Manny

Comment

Just got the plastics off and the fuel tank, took about an hour.

Fuel filter looks a little dark but not plugged but I'm going to remove it anyways. There's a filter inside the fuel petcock and I see no need for 2 fuel filters. The inside of the gas tank is spotless and I regularly use Seafoam.

I'm hooking up a portable fuel supply and will check for vacuum leaks but I doubt this is the problem - wouldn't a vacuum leak be there all the time?

I'll post back the results shortly......
          2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

The filter in the tank is a screen, it only keeps large chunks of rust out, you need the fuel filter on the fuel line itself.

I'd be checking that the petcock is functioning properly, vacuum line etc...
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I blew through the fuel filter and its not plugged but noticed dirt inside the filter on the side walls. The entire circumference was filled with dark lines. The more I blew into the filter the more the sidewalls cleared up. I'll put a new filter in place.

2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

those dark lines are magnets! well.. the result of magnets... they catch any microscopic metal particles and other junk.

that being said. mine went missing when i went to get my carbs cleaned.

sorry i got really excited to finally share my fuel filter discovery with someone.
                Last edited by badwithcomputer; 06-29-2012, 12:00 PM.
                -Brandon

Comment

Got it all back together and still the same problem. Cruising along and if I crack the throttle it just bogs/sputters. If I give it a slow throttle no problems but its really embarrassing trying to catch up and the damn bike acts like this.

Maybe its time for a gixxer??

"" decided to remove the fuel filter tomorrow and see what happens - won't hurt to try ""
                  Last edited by gaillarry; 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM.
                  2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

Took the fuel valve off the tank and the strainer is really clean. Removed the fuel filter to the carbs and problem is gone!!!
                    2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

Well that's weird because I have no filter and mine bogs at 1500 to 3500.
                      -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
                        those dark lines are magnets! well.. the result of magnets... they catch any microscopic metal particles and other junk.

that being said. mine went missing when i went to get my carbs cleaned.

sorry i got really excited to finally share my fuel filter discovery with someone.
                        There are no magnets in these fuel filters.....that's fuel in the paper which has turned dark from catching all the dirt and crap. When you blow the fluid (gas) out you can't see the paper through the plastic anymore and it "disappears".

Comment

Pre Kat

So should I put filters in my fuel lines ?
                          the only filter in my 93 is the one in the tank...is this a potental problem?

Comment

No. They were designed without one....you don't need it. If there is crap in the carbs you need to clean your tank.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                              There are no magnets in these fuel filters.....that's fuel in the paper which has turned dark from catching all the dirt and crap. When you blow the fluid (gas) out you can't see the paper through the plastic anymore and it "disappears".
                              The post OEM filter is actually a medium granual pressed metal strainer. No paper. No magnet. Cleanable and reusable as well.

Looks sorta like this inside...

When people replace their filters with the paper filters on the post kats, they generally do see alot of problems.

As for the pre kats...

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                              No. They were designed without one....you don't need it. If there is crap in the carbs you need to clean your tank.
                              +1

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X