X

My "ohmygod" moment...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "ohmygod" moment...

I was going down the freeway, 65 mph and I start to hit morning rush hour traffic. I thought I was far enough back from the car in front of me. He slams on his breaks, so I do a quick stop. The back tire starts sliding all over the place. Fortunately I recovered, and I said a quick prayer of thanks.

That told me a few things...
    1. I need to practice my quick stops.
    2. Maybe I don't need to apply my breaks as hard and as quick.
    3. Even though I thought I was following the "four second" rule, an extra second wouldn't hurt.

Kinda scared the stuff outta me!

lol
    Work hard Play Hard

Comment

Good to here that you recovered well. It could have been alot worse. I was on my way to work this morning when a cager pulled right out in front of me. She then decided to go 40mph and brake check me. If you want to pull out in front of me at least get up to the speed limit. I mean she did have a reason to brake check me, I was a lil close to her bumper and gave her the finger. AGGGHHH!!!!! cagers...
      01 Kat 750- daytona blue, black and gunmetal powdercoat, yoshi RS-3, 03+ tail section , Barnett Kevlar clutch and springs, 8k HID's, racerback seat cowl, polished lips and painted rotors, tinted windscreen, lowered, smoked turn and tail lights, intergraded led tail light KatRiders decals,184 White leds! More of them to come.
      Repaint this winter, along with some other stuff

Comment

Ahh, the times where your arse puckers enough to suck up the seat cover.

Least you got a walk - no harm, no foul, learn for the next time.
        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

I had a similar thing happen not at that much speed but I ended up sitting at her pass window, it wasn't her fault and she was so scared and mouthed "I am so sorry". Sucked for me all I saw was big chrome bumper of her SUV.
          Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

if you lock up that back tire, remember to keep it locked up.... If I were you I'd adjust the foot brake down so you have to REALLY flex (supinate?) your foot to lock it.

Comment

Originally posted by jgust25 View Post
              if you lock up that back tire, remember to keep it locked up.... If I were you I'd adjust the foot brake down so you have to REALLY flex (supinate?) your foot to lock it.
              That doesn't make a whole bunch of sense to me. I agree that if you'd getting sideways, you should keep it locked, to avoid highsiding....... but if you're going relatively straight, letting off the brake would be a wiser way to go.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                That doesn't make a whole bunch of sense to me. I agree that if you'd getting sideways, you should keep it locked, to avoid highsiding....... but if you're going relatively straight, letting off the brake would be a wiser way to go.

+1.. I've locked my rear tire up numerous times and let off the brake a bit because I was headed dead straight... But, I could see that becoming a habit rather than a thought-process... I suppose building the "keep it locked" habit may be a good idea..

Though probably not locking it in the first place is the best idea of all?

Comment

I think the biggest thing to my credit is that I didn't panic and I rode it out. If I had panicked I would probably be holed up at UNMH right now in a world of hurt.

I have learned that panicking and motorcycles don't mix.

Originally posted by Wheel View Post
                  Though probably not locking it in the first place is the best idea of all?
                  LOL! My thoughts exactly!
                  Last edited by sassyduck; 09-02-2008, 10:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

you might also want to practice your downshifting... dont always rely soley on your brakes, especially during emergency braking.... braking and downshifting at the same time will bring you to a stop ALOT faster, and alot smoother... just my 2 cents

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                    "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

It always takes a scare before you learn a good lesson... at least for me!

Comment

you can lock up the rear tire just as easy as braking by downshifting too much too quick. R's down with throttle closed, pop down 2 or 3 gears when ya think ya only popped one, and oops,,,got yourself a nice little skid goin, plus watchin your tach redline causing maybe even some tranny or motor damage. practice practice practice. definately learn how to downshift while braking hard, but learn how to "blip" the throttle as a do it. Kinda hard with a major handfull of brake lever tho.
                        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                          you can lock up the rear tire just as easy as braking by downshifting too much too quick. R's down with throttle closed, pop down 2 or 3 gears when ya think ya only popped one, and oops,,,got yourself a nice little skid goin, plus watchin your tach redline causing maybe even some tranny or motor damage. practice practice practice. definately learn how to downshift while braking hard, but learn how to "blip" the throttle as a do it. Kinda hard with a major handfull of brake lever tho.
                          i'm not saying its an easy thing to master... especially during emergency braking... but once you do master it, it comes in handy... thats y you need practice practice practice... now thats pretty much all i do, downshift and then use a ll brake at the end

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                          "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by sassyduck View Post
                            Fortunately I recovered, and I said a quick prayer of thanks.
                            Never hurts to always give thanks where thanks is due.

Originally posted by sassyduck View Post
                            That told me a few things...
                            1. I need to practice my quick stops.
                            2. Maybe I don't need to apply my breaks as hard and as quick.
                            3. Even though I thought I was following the "four second" rule, an extra second wouldn't hurt.

Kinda scared the stuff outta me!

Nothing else need be said. Lessons I've also learned (and still learning) on the freeways and streets of LaLa land.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thats when u let off the break and take the bicycle lane... its saved my arse more than once. Remember ur 20 times more agile than a car.

I had a car slam on breaks in front of me while I was coming over a bridge once... i snatched it around the car and went in-between him and the bridge wall. If I woulda tried slamming on breaks i woulda been sittin in his back seat.
                              Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Working...
                              X