Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for a 1350 mile trip

Hey guys.....

Havent been on here for awhile.

Im planning for a trip, 10 days im thinking. but the initial drive would be about 400 miles on day 1 (LA - Vegas) and Vegas to Utah 2nd day.

Need a little checklist if you guys dont mind on things I should check out on the bike, packing tips etc.

It'll be back pack, tent, camera gear and personal stuff. No side bags etc.

Thank you!

Stefan

If you ever see me planning a trip out of cali......I won't be back....just sayin...
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      If you ever see me planning a trip out of cali......I won't be back....just sayin...
      Hahaha, Whats up buddy. Yeah I wanna do a photography, hiking/camping trip

Comment

Sound fun. How big is the backpack. I can't imagine how you would strap a large hiking pack to a bike. Plus all the other things.. A sissy bar would make it easier, for sure...
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Its like a 45 liter pretty big back pack. I took it weekly back and forth to Coachella filled with tools while working the festivals out there. I might be a new one though. I want to specifically fit in, Camera, 3 lenses, tripod, then of course clothes, personal gear, tent? etc....

Im going to wear the backpack if that makes a difference in replays.....Riding to a trail head, then hike in with all gear in backpack, leaving nothing by motorcycle.
          Last edited by SwedeinLA; 06-03-2015, 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Start with bike maintenance.. Oil change, check the brakes, brake fluid, tires, chain clean and lube and adjustment.
            Pack a emergency tire patch kit, pressure gauge too. Some basic tools as well
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

^^^ What he said
              sigpic
              1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Personally, I'd investigate ways of getting the pack off your back while riding. That's going to be a lot of weight that will effect your rate of fatigue, handling of the bike and temperature since it will block a lot of cooling airflow through your jacket.

Comment

I appreciate your answers and will certainly do a bike check-up maintenance. As far as packing goes, I thinki I figures that out also.....What do you guys think???

I was working the Coachella festival this year and noticed half of all campers bought their camp gear locally and just flat out discarded it after the festival. Im considering doing that.

Pack camera gear and other trip related stuff in a basic back pack, buy tent for 25 bux at a walmart locally where i stay.

That would be tent times 3 = $75.00 for living plus camp site around 10-15 per night. I can swing that.

My stops will be Zion National Park, Bryce National Park and Grand Canyon..

If I can figure how to safely transport it from Stop 1, obviously I will bring it.....But the initial ride from LA to Vegas I will bring no overnight gear at all, and will do Motel 6 Right of the Strip in Vegas on Night 1.

Comment

why not get saddle bags? weight is lower and adds plenty of storage. be sure tool kit will be able to remove fairings and wheels if needed. AntiMonkey Butt powder will help comfort level. have fun.
                    Last edited by KAT TOY; 06-06-2015, 08:50 AM.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                      why not get saddle bags?
                      I want to be able to walk away from bike for extended time (days) and not worry about it.

Comment

For long hours in the saddle, day after day, make sure you have some throttle lock device combine with a Throttle Rocker.
                        Palm activation of throttle.. save you lots of grip/forearm soreness for day after day in the saddle.

I use a $2.00 thick rubber O-ring from local hardware store between the throttle grip and starter switch as a throttle lock.
                        On/off throttle is controlled by me 100%, total throttle control.
                        Last edited by "K"; 06-07-2015, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I have the Cortec tri bag tank bag setup for my bike. the large bag is big enough to hold pretty much anything I need to take on the bike, and it also has hidden straps to use it as a backpack if wanted. I use the smaller bag as a tail bag. I've heard backpacks are a pain on crosscountry rides (from a long fellow rider here on KR, believe he mailed his backpack home mid ride a few years back). A large tank bag makes a great support to lean on removing all weight from your wrists and shoulders on a long ride. I've done several 1100 mile days + 2640 miles in 49 hours on my GSXR using the tank bag to lean against. As K mentioned a heavy O-ring on the throttle grip helps to hold the throttle on long straight runs (I used mine between the grip and bar end weight)
                          John,
                          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SwedeinLA View Post
                            .....But the initial ride from LA to Vegas I will bring no overnight gear at all, and will do Motel 6 Right of the Strip in Vegas on Night 1.
                            What time of year are you doing this?
                            I rode from my place to Phoenix in june once and it was so friggen hot. make SURE you stay hydrated! get a camel back unit and fill it with gatorade or at minimum water. I popped 2 bottles of water in the freezer and had them in my tank bag for back up.
                            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Im leaving tomorrow morning at 4 am, getting to vegas early, then leaving vegas wednesday morning early for utah. Planning to do all riding in the cooler hours of the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X