X

Swapping valve types

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping valve types

So...i have a 91 katana 600 that i blew second gear in a while back, ended up buying a new used engine and they said it was a 91 katana 600 engine. I went to do a valve adjustment and it was shim type so i looked up the number on the engine and its a 92. Is there anyway i could take the valves off my old engine and put it on the new one so i dont have to deal with the shims?

Easiest thing to do is swap heads as long as the cam chains are the same type. I Dont know if you can just swap in the cams and rockers.
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Just run it as shim, you may have to adjust 10-20,000 mile from the adjustment point. Not a big deal
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I always thought all Katanas were shim type. Hm. Either way, stick with the shim type.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

First thing I would look at is if the sprockets on the cams are different between the types. If they are the same, I can't think of another reason why swapping heads would not work. You may need to answer this question for us.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
            I always thought all Katanas were shim type. Hm. Either way, stick with the shim type.
            Meh, not a big deal to do an adjustment. It takes me about 20 minutes to check/adjust them all at this point. Takes longer to remove the plastics/tank/cover, but even that takes only ~40 mins.
            Granted, first time took significantly longer but once you get it the first time, it's easy afterwards.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I just dont want to waste money on shims...im kinda cheap lol

And i only want to do this because my engine has a wicked ratlle and sounds terrible. Not sure if its the chain but i tried resetting the cct and didnt help.
              Last edited by Webmasta; 09-08-2017, 12:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Cct springs do fail. They are cheap and easy to change.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1
                  I replaced the one on my 1100, which only had ~12000 miles on it. The spring was horribly out of spec. Side by side with the new spring, there was at least a full centimeter difference.
                  If you can pull the carbs, you're 90% of the way to replacing the spring.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    Cct springs do fail. They are cheap and easy to change.
                    Good thing i have a broken engine that has a few good things on it, im going to pull them both out to compare

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                    +1
                    I replaced the one on my 1100, which only had ~12000 miles on it. The spring was horribly out of spec. Side by side with the new spring, there was at least a full centimeter difference.
                    If you can pull the carbs, you're 90% of the way to replacing the spring.
                    Yup, almost had to pull the alternator too cause i thought i only had a deep socket...its funny how i knew absolutely nothing about bikes up until May of this year because I decided to go from first to second with max rpm

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    First thing I would look at is if the sprockets on the cams are different between the types. If they are the same, I can't think of another reason why swapping heads would not work. You may need to answer this question for us.

Krey

Ill take a look at it today if the cct spring isnt a problem i can fix today

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                    They started using shims in 92, i wonder why they had to make things a little more difficult...

Originally posted by ZookRick View Post
                    Easiest thing to do is swap heads as long as the cam chains are the same type. I Dont know if you can just swap in the cams and rockers.
                    Might try it today
                    Last edited by Webmasta; 09-08-2017, 07:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

So after i swapped the springs on the cct there was no difference...before i try swapping the heads is there anything else i can try to get rid of this god awful engine rattle?

Comment

You'll need a new gasket between the cylinders and the head if you swap the heads.
                        Some of the bolts that join them are likely going to be problematic. Take your time, don't rush it. Always seems to help
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                        X