X

Carbs Leaking... Advice Appreciated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
    maybe cover the end of the fuel line so it can't evaporate out? Don't think enough would evaporate to create a vacuum...
    Sorry, not sure I understand the vacuum part - I did not cover it because I wanted the full weight/pressure of the fuel in the line pushing on the needles. If i cover it it would be like putting a finger on a straw, preventing a realistic leak test, I think?

Comment

Possibly, that's what meant by vaccum.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Ok, new update - carbs have been in leakdown test for a day now. There are still a few inches of gas in the 3+4 line, nothing left in the 1+2 line. Heres what the tray looks like:

As expected carbs 1 and 2 are leaking a bit at the gaskets as I saw - however turn them around and we have a little bit of gas on the engine-side mouth:

Carb 1:

And an eensy teensy bit on carb 3:

My question is: What Now? Here's my loose plan:

1. Order new bowl gaskets for #1 and #2.

2. Inspect needle valves on #1 and #3....

I find it hard to believe that the needles are damaged or are the problems themselves, as they look very good. Could it be possible that fuel is getting into the mouths some other way, around an O-ring or something?

I know this thread is getting long... thank you guys for your continued help

EDIT: I may have figured out a clever way to test my needles. Took my Gaserade bottle and ran a 1/4" line to the in-side of the carb 1 float rail, and have the carb 1 needle in place. After about 15 minutes, there is the world's tiniest glob of gas sticking on the end where it wouod come out. Hm.

Perhaps this isn't a realistic representation? If it is, maybe I need a new needle or two. Going to leave it like this til I can work on it in the morning.

Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 08-18-2017, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heeltoeclutch View Post
          Ok, new update - carbs have been in leakdown test for a day now. There are still a few inches of gas in the 3+4 line, nothing left in the 1+2 line. Heres what the tray looks like:

As expected carbs 1 and 2 are leaking a bit at the gaskets as I saw - however turn them around and we have a little bit of gas on the engine-side mouth:

Carb 1:

And an eensy teensy bit on carb 3:

My question is: What Now? Here's my loose plan:

1. Order new bowl gaskets for #1 and #2.

2. Inspect needle valves on #1 and #3....

I find it hard to believe that the needles are damaged or are the problems themselves, as they look very good. Could it be possible that fuel is getting into the mouths some other way, around an O-ring or something?

I know this thread is getting long... thank you guys for your continued help

EDIT: I may have figured out a clever way to test my needles. Took my Gaserade bottle and ran a 1/4" line to the in-side of the carb 1 float rail, and have the carb 1 needle in place. After about 15 minutes, there is the world's tiniest glob of gas sticking on the end where it wouod come out. Hm.

Perhaps this isn't a realistic representation? If it is, maybe I need a new needle or two. Going to leave it like this til I can work on it in the morning.

so you posted a pic of the needles close up a while back... that pic showed clear rings visible in the pic on the needles.

Those rings generally suggest the needle is shot.

I'd replace at this point.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            so you posted a pic of the needles close up a while back... that pic showed clear rings visible in the pic on the needles.

Krey
            Thanks Krey - I suppose I didn't really know what was go/no-go for visual inspection of needles. I was expecting cracked, dry-looking rubber and so they all looked better than I expected!

From searching and reading, the only good option I know of for needles are ebay kits - I can call my dealer but in the ronayers or BikeBandit fiches I don't believe they even the list the needle as a part - just the whole float assembly, which I'd certainly prefer not to buy
            Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 08-19-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks Krey - I suppose I didn't really know what was go/no-go for visual inspection of needles. I was expecting cracked, dry-looking rubber and so they all looked better than I expected!

From searching and reading, the only good option I know of for needles are ebay kits - I can call my dealer but in the ronayers or BikeBandit fiches I don't believe they even the list the needle as a part - just the whole float assembly, which I'd certainly prefer not to buy
              Float Needle

Bowl Gasket

Or a full kit (generally the more economical route to go...)

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey 2 kits have been ordered - for the two leaking gaskets and two leaking needles. In the meantime, I think I'll get started on the brakes/fork seals, etc.

When the kits arrive - is there any MORE stuff that could likely be wrong with the carbs?? I would expect that the gaskets would solve the bowl leaks, and the needles will solve the leaks into the mouths. I sure hope there's nothing else with these darned things I'm missing.
                Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 08-19-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks Krey 2 kits have been ordered - for the two leaking gaskets and two leaking needles. In the meantime, I think I'll get started on the brakes/fork seals, etc.

When the kits arrive - is there any MORE stuff that could likely be wrong with the carbs?? I would expect that the gaskets would solve the bowl leaks, and the needles will solve the leaks into the mouths. I sure hope there's nothing else with these darned things I'm missing.
                  Pilot jet rubber plugs regularly need to be replaced. Fuel Ts also. Those parts do not come in a rebuild kit. Other than that, I can't think of anything off hand internally.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Pilot jet rubber plugs regularly need to be replaced. Fuel Ts also. Those parts do not come in a rebuild kit. Other than that, I can't think of anything off hand internally.

Krey
                    Already replaced all of those - so here's hoping they are good-to-go once the kits arrive.

Comment

Mini-update: Carb rebuild kits arrived. I replaced the bowl gaskets in #1 and #2, and the needles in #1 and #3.

Time for Leakdown test #2. After some slight tightening, with the new gaskets there appears to be no leakage from the bowl mating surfaces like there was previously. The big question will be tomorrow - is there any gas coming out of the mouths.

Additionally, I seem to be having the devil's time getting my fuel line to seal against the fuel tees. If the fuel line is sliggghtly not squished all the way against the fuel tee, it leaks (as if the line is too big). I am using clear/blue 5/16" fuel line as I've read recommended in threads here. Is it standard practice to use some sort of clamp? Wondering if I should get some spring clamps for them, or if that wouldn't make much difference - I've tried hose clamping this line onto 1/4" fittings and it still leaked.
                      Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 08-30-2017, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Is it standard practice to use some sort of clamp? Wondering if I should get some spring clamps for them, or if that wouldn't make much difference - I've tried hose clamping this line onto 1/4" fittings and it still leaked.
                        Factory specifies clamps on the fuel tees for my '94. I use the factory clamps plus the factory hoses. No leaks.

Comment

Thanks 1LE, yet another thing my bike did not have!

Krey
                          Hokay, so new update. After replacing the float needles in #1 and #3, and setting it up for the Leakdown test again, I now have gas coming out of ALL the carb mouths:

Now as I understand, this could only happen if:
                          1. Float Needles are worn or damaged
                          2. Float Heights are set Too High
                          3. Carb Rail O-Rings are not seated
                          4. Carbs are tipped over too much

I just replaced two of the needles (and the other two were not leaking prior), so I am pretty confident it is not option 1.

I set the float heights of carbs 1-3 yesterday to the suggested 14.6 mm (as close as I could measure with a high-quality steel slide-rule). But, I have read threads of folks still having trouble with the "suggested" float heights. Wondering if this is my problem...?

Pretty sure my O-rings are seated and intact - I have inspected them every time they are out and ensure they are in there nicely, and replaced one yesterday that was looking wonky.

Mayyybe I tipped them over too much - but I don't really think so? Here is the angle they were at last night. It seems pretty similar to the bike position?

I suppose the easiest thing to try is not leaning them over so much. I am going to compare to the on-bike position and try to replicate it tonight.
                          Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 08-31-2017, 02:07 AM.

Comment

I would check the emulsion tubes also. Worn needles had to wear on something, usually the emulsion tubes.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                              I would check the emulsion tubes also. Worn needles had to wear on something, usually the emulsion tubes.
                              Thanks Junker - my goodness I realize I should have said needle valves, not needles. I replaced the float needles. Darn, still getting the hang of this - my needle jets (?) and emulsion tubes were in great shape, no signs of oblong wear.
                              Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 08-31-2017, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Oooh my bad, float needles.
                                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran
                                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                                X