Katana of the Month - November 2007  teddy

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Gearing Up

Gearing Up If your going to ride you need good gear!
Tell us what you've got and find out what others are wearing.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
STULER
Kat Champion

eBay ID: I_Ride_Icon

Default Half helmets are a NO NO

I just witnessed a man and his wife fall in the parking lot at my church at less than 5 mph. he was wearing no helmet and she was wearing a half helmet. AT 5mph!!!! he smashed his face on the windshield of his harley and cut above his eye needing 8 stitches. she was wearing a half helmet (which didnt even hit the ground). she smashed her chin and face and has quite a bit of rash on her face. My point here: Most of the time during a bike accident, the face is the first thing that hits the concrete. So wear a full face helmet at all times!
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition
STULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Wild-Bill
Kat Legend

eBay ID: justbillv

See http://dontai.com/wp/2010/05/20/moto...-impact-zones/

If you break out a calculator, you'll see that a shorty helmet won't help you at all in 61.4% of accidents and a 3/4 helmet won't do you any good in 49.3% of accidents. Those numbers are based off some pretty solid statistical analysis but don't take into account non-accidents like rocks thrown by trucks, birds flying into you or the biggest, juiciest bug I've ever seen that went right under my half-opened faceshield and splattered itself against the side of my nose, all in my eye. I love my full-face!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
HID Projector Retrofit
Wild-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
ramkumar999
Katrider

I especially enjoy riding my full face helmet for two reasons, When Wind hits my face directly, I makes my eyes watery. Also when riding in the evening, I have seen umpteen bugs hit my visor.
Yesterday I was travelling in I95 south bound and was caught behind a construction truck that was constantly spewing mud and sand kind of stuff. I dont know how people with half helmets would survive such a bashing..

2005 Katana 600
ramkumar999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
STULER
Kat Champion

last time i had my shield open i got hit by a figgin june bug. felt like i got shot in the face. i was traveling 90mph the bug was prolly flying at me at like 5mph. i have a bruise on my face to prove it! lol
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
slip304
Poser

I can never understand how people (in states that don't have helmet laws) ride without a helmet ? ? When I ride down into Indiana it always freaks me out to see guys pass me on the highway at 80mph in sunglasses.. Madness...
Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
STULER
Kat Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip304 View Post
I can never understand how people (in states that don't have helmet laws) ride without a helmet ? ? When I ride down into Indiana it always freaks me out to see guys pass me on the highway at 80mph in sunglasses.. Madness...
my dad is a helmet less rider. he gets on and goes no problem. he says if he was forced to wear a helmet and jacket as a law, he would sell the bike. if he had to wear a helmet "i would rather just drive my car"
Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
LandoCommando
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by STULER View Post
my dad is a helmet less rider. he gets on and goes no problem. he says if he was forced to wear a helmet and jacket as a law, he would sell the bike. if he had to wear a helmet "i would rather just drive my car"
Wow....

The way you make it sound is that he doesn't really care about the ride at all. Seems like he just sees it as a different way of getting from point A to be point B.
LandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
vonrapier
Knee Dragger

Those shorty helmets are only good for 2 things. Looks and the top of your head only. The rest is all a gamble........

I was riding years ago to University on the freeway. And had an open face helmet on. Was going around 65 mph and was hit with a big bumble bee that was flying across the lanes. Man, it was like getting hit with a large ball bering, and a good thing I had both hands on the handle bar because it would of knocked me right off the seat. Hit me in the head and I had a huge welp for a few weeks after that. I always wear a full face helmet to this day. At that time in California there were no helmet laws and you could ride without one if you liked. Dumb idea......

98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe
vonrapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
zuma
Kat King

There is magnitude to the expression "took it on the chin". I high-sided at 65 mph on the highway while riding my 06 Kat a few years ago, and the first part of me to touch pavement was my chin. No problems there, only a sprained ankle from rolling.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
GSXFJim
Kat Master

eBay ID: Rogerrat

In '87 here in Cali you could still ride without a helmet, I was on the freeway, without my helmet, just sun glasses, a guy flicked the butt of his cigar out the sun roof of his BMW and it hit me square in the forehead.. I still have a small burn scar.. That was the last time I rode without a helmet.

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
"You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son
GSXFJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Gearing Up