X
X

why does everyone hate the katana so much

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alot of people hate on the Katana because they HEARD they suck. I am glad I experienced the Katana for myself, I think it is a great machine for its purpose. There are some I've come across that have owned a Katana and gave it a bad review on some levels, but at least they actually rode one!
    sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

You know, I laugh anytime someone says something about the kat. The majority of the folks that bash it could not even tap into 30-40% of what the GSXR or CBR offers. It's the same in the MX world. I have been involved in racing since the 70's. I still see guys spend 6K and a new bike, pump another 2-3K into it, and still run midpack. I tell my kid when he can get out of his bike what it is capable of, then and only then will we start to look at mods. Same thing applys here. With that said, nothing wrong at all at wanting a super sport bike, not at all. I will most likely have one here shortly, but it won't be because my abilities are better than what the kat can deliver.

As I tell my kids, it is always easier for people to knock others down than to raise their own game. So if it makes these folks feel better to bash the Katanas, more power to them.

Comment

I could have bought a SS bike a couple weeks ago but chose to buy a '86 Fazer instead. I might eventually buy a SS but getting one wasn't at the top of my priority list. I don't ride at the track, and on the street I don't have trouble keeping up with the SS riders in our large riding group, until we hit the really long straights. Also my '90 600 weighs in at 450lbs wet according to several truck scales, which is only 13lbs heavier than the wet weight claimed by Suzuki for the 2009 GSXR750, so it's not really a tank as far as weight goes.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

I was chatting with some HD wigs that were in town for something or another. When I told them about the Kat and my ideas for it they were really receptive. They chatted with me for a while about it, and never made me feel like I didn't measure up for not riding $25k worth of mechanical problems.
          May the road rise up to meet you.
          May the wind always be at your back.
          May the sun shine warm upon your face,
          and rains fall soft upon your fields.
          And until we meet again,
          May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
          RIP Marc

Comment

They are all jealous because their butts hurt.
            I don't care how fast they can get to 140mph...I don't WANT to go to jail or have a huge fine [edit: or die going to fast]. I like having a comfortable, stable bike that me and my girlfriend can ride to: Ohio, Tennessee, New York, Canada, Florida and North Carolina without my crotch falling off.

I bought a touring bike because I wanted one, not because I wanted to pop wheelies with my helmet half on while wearing a spine protector, shorts and sandals.

Comment

Originally posted by vet415 View Post
              You know, I laugh anytime someone says something about the kat. The majority of the folks that bash it could not even tap into 30-40% of what the GSXR or CBR offers. It's the same in the MX world. I have been involved in racing since the 70's. I still see guys spend 6K and a new bike, pump another 2-3K into it, and still run midpack. I tell my kid when he can get out of his bike what it is capable of, then and only then will we start to look at mods. Same thing applys here. With that said, nothing wrong at all at wanting a super sport bike, not at all. I will most likely have one here shortly, but it won't be because my abilities are better than what the kat can deliver.

As I tell my kids, it is always easier for people to knock others down than to raise their own game. So if it makes these folks feel better to bash the Katanas, more power to them.
              I have to laugh at this one- 'cause it is so true- why am I using a Kat as a track bike?

1) got it for free= cheap!
              2) I am not skilled enough anymore (been 20 years siince my last MC track day) to take even a modern SS "middlewieght" 600 to it's full potential- so why spend all that money until I am ready for that kind of performance?

Comment

ask those GSXR posers what TSCC stands for

Comment

Boy am I glad I don't own a GSXR now .. I'd feel really stupid .. WTF is TSCC?? LOL Do Kat's have it? Or is it a higher performance feature that most GSXR riders probably wouldn't know about?
                  2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                  Black
                  Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                  Red
                  Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

i think tscc stands for twin swirl combustion chamber, i think kats are looked down on because they are a budget bike, i had an old cbr 600 but dont miss it, my kats got so much more character
                    the future's dark, the future's matt black

Comment

why ask why

Dude, I was 100 % behind you until the "anyhoo". Not that I have ever said it. Anyway, it seems to me every hobby has a Katana to pick on. I have a mediocre sailing background, but am one of the first to pile onto the Beneteau (sp?) boats. Like everyone else is saying; If you are out there riding and having fun, to hell with the nay-sayers.

Comment

Hating on any particular model of car, bike...yada yada, is not a sign of a well-bred individual. To verbally slam a rider based on their bike of choice is right up there on the food chain with the mullet-sporting guys that proudly hang a pair of plastic nuts from the back of their truck. I have three bikes. I will choose my next one based on what I want, regardless of anyone else's opinion.
                        sigpic

Comment

Don't let it bother you. If you enjoy your bike, that is all that matters
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                            Don't let it bother you. If you enjoy your bike, that is all that matters

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Electrical_Tech View Post
                              .. WTF is TSCC?? LOL Do Kat's have it?
                              twin swirl combustion chamber, kats have it, so do older gixers.

Comment

A bunch of yuppies I know (owners of shiny R1200GS’s, Caponords, etc…) went saying “… Geeeee! You bought a GSXF!!!!!!” like if it was the weirdest thing they heard….

With a big smile and very sarcastic I replied something like “Yep! I bought it because of its reputation, not despite of it!” – I don’t ride with them.

The guys I ride with have all kinds of bikes: FJR’s, K1200LT’s, Deauvilles, Harleys, you name it. It’s like a 30 different bikes showroom, all kinds and ages. And guess what: there’s even another KAT on the group, black just like mine.

The truth is that REAL riders don’t bother comparing “who’s got the bigger…”. Posers do!

Cheers,
                                XIII

Comment

Working...
                                X